HELP ME FIND MY WAY OUT !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mummyx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!
I'm a 19 yrs old, burmese-american who come to America for getting a M.D degree. I really like to become a doctor because of many reasons. But, now I'm in my junior semester in Santa Monica College. I've already with 1W( which is Art Class) and my GPA is not so good. I took General chemistry 1 in last semester and end up with C grade. So, my question is, Am I too late for Medical School? What should I do next? Should I start thinking about changing my career? In this case, I really don't want to change my ambition. I mean, I must be a doctor. So, please give me sugesstions for my future. Any thing will do.

Members don't see this ad.

With all due respect, I would start with English. Is English your second language?

Originally posted by 2004guy:
With all due respect, I would start with English. Is English your second language?
Yes

Members don't see this ad :)
Mummy--do you think that a reason why you did not do too well in your science and art classes is partly due to English being your second language? If so, I would recommend focusing on improving your overall English skills first. Chemistry and Biology are pretty difficult subjects to master as it is... a language barrier makes it all the more difficult. Also, The MCAT and Personal Statement are very important and you will need to be able to demonstrate a fair amount of English competency. Please don't take this the wrong way [I don't mean to offend]. I hope you the best of luck in your quest to pursue medicine!

In order to get into off shore medical schools, how much GPA do they prefer? Also, can I practice in U.K or back in Burma, if I were get medical degree from those med schools in Caribbean. Another one is, I still havn't take Bio classes. So, should I need to take English classes before any other Sciences classes?

mummyx, I am curious how things woruld fare with you if you targeted Burmese medical schools, or those schools with agreements to accept Burmese?

Is there any schools that have agreement to accepts Burmese?

Originally posted by mummyx:
Is there any schools that have agreement to accepts Burmese?

No.

There are tons of schools which place Burmese students at a disadvantage (along with a lot of other students who don't reside in that school's state).

Your best bet is to apply to a private school -- but expect to pay FULL tuition with NO financial aid. i.e. a quarter of a million in debt when you graduate (with interest all said and done).

Is it worth it? You tell me.

[This message has been edited by Tigger Tiger (edited 04-14-2000).]

Mummy - if you get a med degree in the Caribbean then you can practice in the UK (as far as I'm aware). As for the rest, listen to what the others are saying - it's sound advice and I know nada about the american med system so I can't help there.

Thanks! But, what majour requirements should I need?