1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

help me improve, PLEASE!

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by highlyfavored, Nov 26, 2005.

1. highlyfavored

highlyfavored obligated to serve God...
    5+ Year Member

which study material/study method did you guys use for the PCAT? I put in lots of study time, but my scores didn't reflect that! Yes, I know there is a PCAT section, but I would like to have some input from students who are already in pharm school, too.
    TIA!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    As you should know, there IS a PCAT forum. Moving this there...

4. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I like the Kaplan book. It's more in depth than what you'll see on the PCAT but it's a great comprehensive review. Barron's and Peterson's are a little too easy and some Peterson's questions are frankly strange. I also liked the pcatprofessor for quizzing myself. Focus on the basics and try to know the general stuff well rather than spend too much time on small details that probably won't be tested.
    Organization is the key. Catagorize the subjects into "units" so that you can see the progress you are making. For example, spend one day on Algebra, one day on Calculus/Trig, one day on Statistics/Probability, one day on Cell Biology, one day on Endocrinology etc. I think you smell what I'm cookin' :laugh:
    Organize all of the sections you need to work on, set up a schedule for studying and stick to it. Figure out how you need to study in order to retail the most material and go with what works! Good luck! :luck:

5. highlyfavored

highlyfavored obligated to serve God...
    5+ Year Member

Thanks so much! I think your unit idea is a good one. I used the Kaplan review book and I found out that I spent too much time being stressed over those time consuming chemistry problems that I passed over alot of the basics. :mad: Atleast I know not to do that this time, and knowing is half the battle...GI Joe ;)

6. SearsTower

SearsTower Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Ask Santy Claws for a good score this X-mas.

7. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Please refrain from making rude comments when members have valid questions. Thanks.

8. SearsTower

SearsTower Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    amount of time put into studying will not guarantee a good score. Amounts of understanding will.

Study until you understand everything instead of burying your head into a book incessantly. Studying too much (i.e. after complete comprehension of an item/topic) might muddy your mind and that's counter-productive.

Bottom line is study, study, study, but once you understand, stop and move on.

There.