help me narrow down my list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshao

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am applying this cycle and have trouble choosing 2 out of state schools. I am looking for schools where I have a realistic chance. I am also getting my bachelors this semester for cell and molecular biology
schools I am applying to so far: USF, UF and NOVA

potential out of state:
university of kentucky
university of illinoise
oregon state university
campbell university
mercer university
marshall university
howard university
fairleigh dickinson university
midwestern-either campus
creighton university

my stats:
gpa:2.86(I'm in my last semester so I will try to raise it)
PCAT: 88 composite- 38 verbal, 84 bio, 75 rc, 96 quant, 91 chem
extracurriculars- alot of clubs like prepharmacy and PPMS as a member

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Believe in the heart of the cards!

Jokes aside, my stats are similar to yours and I think Howard is a good choice. If you're feeling lucky, then throw in Kentucky or Illinois.

If you are interested you can try to apply to UGA. You may get a chance for an interview at least. Usually they use a formula similar to (25 times GPA) + PCAT Composite score and if you are at least about 150 - 160 you get a chance at an interview (in your case it would be 159.5).

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money and don't apply to the top three. You'll have a better chance of getting an interview at the others.

..I'm just trying to help you save money but it's your app.

these were just the pharmacy schools that I would be able to apply too with my prereqs I took. Are the first 3 that hard to get into? I also would be coming as an out of state student for most

these were just the pharmacy schools that I would be able to apply too with my prereqs I took. Are the first 3 that hard to get into? I also would be coming as an out of state student for most
Yeah, even though they state that they look at apps with lower than 3.0 GPA's it's very unluckily that they will send out interview invites. I sat right at a 3.0 with a lot of leadership and work experience when I applied and received an interview at six of the eight schools that I applied to while the two highly ranked schools I didn't receive anything.

As far as Illinois, SIUE is a solid program (Edwardsville). It's not Chicago but at least it's near a big city. I would advise you to avoid Midwestern.

Also pay close attention to cost. The least expensive school you can get accepted to is the win.

Midwestern is expensive and the more recent grads I know all say they wish they had gone somewhere else! They felt they didn't get the best education and that the school just wanted their money.

If Chicago is a pull for you then UIC is preferred. But if you can please stay somewhere you can get in state tuition that is the best option. Nobody cares where you got your degree once you're licensed but YOU will care if you're saddled with student loan debt.

Reactions: 1 user