Help Me Narrow My Choices NYS res. 31 MCAT 3.95 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FluteDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

I'm having trouble deciding which schools to apply to. I guess I am a non-traditional student (28 years old). I have too many choices, some of which I think I have very little chance of getting into. I am open to replacements and will apply to DO schools too. I would prefer to stay in NYS but willing to move.

-MCAT- 31 (11/10/10)
-GPA science: 3.86 GPA overall 3.95
-Shadowed a Cardiologist for 30 hours
-Research-none
-Worked full-time in international education in my pre-med career
-Won a national scholarship to study language and poli sci in russia, and several other academic awards. Taught English in Russia
-Won a citywide civic fellowship that funded internships in not for profit sector
-Foreign Language major, wrote thesis and translated an author's work with critical analysis
-Did non-science research in India
-400 some odd hours over several years volunteering in metropolitan hospice program, some other medicine related volunteer work

Downstate
albany
Rochester
Upstate
Columbia
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Howard
mt. sinai
NYU
tufts
jefferson
uni pitts
yale
george washington
EMORY
einstein
duke
u of alabama
unc
wake forest
uconn

Thanks a bunch guys. I've been a lurker on this site for a long time, appreciate all of the great input you have all provided.:)

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard Howard is a historically black university, so unless you are black you have a lesser chance of being accepted there.

Columbia, Yale, and Duke I'm assuming would all want at least some form of research done, so that's something to consider as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Y'all,

I'm having trouble deciding which schools to apply to. I guess I am a non-traditional student (28 years old). I have too many choices, some of which I think I have very little chance of getting into. I am open to replacements and will apply to DO schools too. I would prefer to stay in NYS but willing to move.

-MCAT- 31 (11/10/10)
-GPA science: 3.86 GPA overall 3.95
-Shadowed a Cardiologist for 30 hours
-Research-none
-Worked full-time in international education in my pre-med career
-Won a national scholarship to study language and poli sci in russia, and several other academic awards. Taught English in Russia
-Won a citywide civic fellowship that funded internships in not for profit sector
-Foreign Language major, wrote thesis and translated an author's work with critical analysis
-Did non-science research in India
-400 some odd hours over several years volunteering in metropolitan hospice program, some other medicine related volunteer work

Downstate
albany
Rochester
Upstate
Columbia
Stony Brook
Hofstra
Howard
mt. sinai
NYU
tufts
jefferson
uni pitts
yale
george washington
EMORY
einstein
duke
u of alabama
unc
wake forest
uconn

Thanks a bunch guys. I've been a lurker on this site for a long time, appreciate all of the great input you have all provided.:)

Your mcat score is on the low side for the bolded ones...

Thanks for the input. I am thinking of dropping Columbia, NYU, Emory, Uni Pitts, Duke because I think my MCAT is way low for those schools. Should I keep the first two because I am from NYC? One of my recs is from a Dean Emeritus (non-medical) at Columbia.

I'm leaving Yale as my dream school, they're involved in geriatrics and I would love to go there, hoping beyond hope they will interview me.

Concerns:

Howard: As mentioned by another poster, the HBCs accept only URM students, or students with a very strong and demonstrated commitment to serving underrepresented communities. Don't apply if you don't fit that bill.

Mt. Sinai: MCAT is quite low, their lowest 10th is 33

Yale: Again, MCAT too low; Yale's lowest 10th is 33.

Einstein: You're in their MCAT lowest 10th.

U of Alabama: OOS unfriendly, only 13.2% of matriculants are from OOS.

UNC: Only 11.7% of matriculants are from OOS.

UConn: only 16.7% of matriculants are from OOS.

These are either good fits or just a tad reachy (not enough to worry about):
Downstate - you're IS here
Albany
Rochester - reachy for MCAT, but you're higher than their bottom 10th
Upstate - you're IS here too
Stony Brook - and here
Hofstra
Tufts
Jefferson
George Washington

The only schools I would advocate totally removing are Alabama, UNC, and Connecticut. It will be much easier using low-tier private schools as safeties than using state schools.

Last edited:
Thanks for great input talinnlove, I am removing uconn, alabama, and unc. I ran the LizzyM score and that has removed some choices, added others. They are below along with the LizzyM appraisal of my chances (1.high chance 2.go for it 3.hopeful 4. longshot). I've got to cut 4-6, looking for good reasons why :). I do want to keep one long shot there so I am not inclined to remove yale, against everyone's advice.

Downstate - go for it
albany - go for it
Rochester - go for it
Upstate - go for it
Stony Brook - go for it
HOFSTRA - n/a
Howard -high chance
tufts - go for it
jefferson - go for it
yale - long shot
george wash - go for it
einstein - hopeful
wake forest -go for it
buffalo - high chance
georgetown - go for it
drexel - high chance
temple - go for it
vermont - go for it
penn state - high chance
rose franklin - high chance
brown - hopeful
rush - go for it
uni virginia - hopeful
tulane - high chance
keck - go for it

Last edited:
Also, for Howard, I think I can make that case that I will be serving underserved communities.

So who does get into GWU and Keck since they get so many applicants? What are those two looking for?

Last edited:
Rochester is going to want to see some form of research to compensate for the MCAT. They havea mission pretty strongly devoted to advancement in medicine around research.

But I would still go for it being that you are a non-trad. It's a great school

Members don't see this ad :)
Rochester is going to want to see some form of research to compensate for the MCAT. They havea mission pretty strongly devoted to advancement in medicine around research.

But I would still go for it being that you are a non-trad. It's a great school

I hear you on the research thing. I was not able to swing it because I was working full-time, studying at night. One of the regrets of my pre-med career.

I hear you on the research thing. I was not able to swing it because I was working full-time, studying at night. One of the regrets of my pre-med career.

Flute,

don't get too discouraged. I just posted about Rochester in another thread about their diversity. Even if you lack diversity in research, you bring something else very unique to the table with foreign language and travel.

These are the kinds of things a school like Rochester, that don't pre-screen, desire.

Go for it man

Flute,

don't get too discouraged. I just posted about Rochester in another thread about their diversity. Even if you lack diversity in research, you bring something else very unique to the table with foreign language and travel.

These are the kinds of things a school like Rochester, that don't pre-screen, desire.

Go for it man

Thanks, man. The kind words help. This process can really make you feel inadequate at times!

So who does get into GWU and Keck since they get so many applicants? What are those two looking for?
The matriculants near the bottom edge of their stats have to have something compelling in their life experience, altruism, communication skills, teambuilding...

The matriculants near the bottom edge of their stats have to have something compelling in their life experience, altruism, communication skills, teambuilding...

That is on my mind a lot. I think about how i have some unique experiences, but wonder if I am compelling enough considering my middling MCAT score and deficient research. I guess I will have to just do my best to sell myself.

I just submitted my app (not an earlybird, I know but is it suprising from a non-trad?!) and submitted to following schools:

Albany
Einstein
Hofstra
Howard
Downstate
Stony
Buffalo
Upstate
Rochester
Yale

That leaves the following schools, I'd like to cut 2-3

tufts
jefferson
george washington
georgetown
drexel
temple
vermont
penn state
rose franklin
brown
rush
uni virginia
tulane

My opinion for your two-three cuts:

tufts - CUT (research lack, not friendly to us NY boys either)
jefferson
george washington
georgetown - CUT (11k applicants just seems risky chances)
drexel
temple
vermont
penn state
rose franklin
brown - CUT (research lacking)
rush
uni virginia
tulane

But like we've stated, you have other unique traits. I would hate to say cut to somewhere that you would excel. If I was you, apply to all.

My opinion for your two-three cuts:

tufts - CUT (research lack, not friendly to us NY boys either)
jefferson
george washington
georgetown - CUT (11k applicants just seems risky chances)
drexel
temple
vermont
penn state
rose franklin
brown - CUT (research lacking)
rush
uni virginia
tulane

But like we've stated, you have other unique traits. I would hate to say cut to somewhere that you would excel. If I was you, apply to all.

Just talked to cardiologist friend. He encouraged me strongly to not be so cautious in my school choices due to my non-trad status. It is definitely something for me to chew on...

So guys, happy to write this update.

Interviewed with 5 schools:

Downstate-Accepted
Hofstra_LIJ- Wait list
George Washington-Wait List
Roslaind Franklin-Rejected
Einstein- HPWL (hope this one moves, my first choice, lol)

Lessons Learned:

Don't put excessive value in Lizzie M Score. It does not define you, your application and the organic narrative of your life in medicine stands out!

Reactions: 1 users
Also want to add that since submitting my app in september, I did get involved with some research, and sent updates to all the schools I applied to.