Help me out guys!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the boards. I have been reading about everything that has been going on here the past couple of weeks....which is people stressing about their MCAT scores. Well this is where my questioning comes in.

1. I have a 3.9 in chemical engineering at Auburn University. I will be busting my ass to keep it up there (3.8-4.0 range). I am also the pre-med option of Chem E. What MCAT score would make me competitive (on GPA and MCAT scores) for high mid to upper tier schools?

2. How do you go about volunteering at hospitals and what do you do when you are volunteering. I will be joing the Pre-Med Society at school and they volunteer so I will be doing that.

3. What is the best review material for the MCAT. I am thinking about taking the KAPLAN course and using the EXAMKRACKERS. I have also been told to use TPR. What is the best?

4. What advice do all of you have for me?

Please help me out and as many of you give me advice and feedback as you can!!!!:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am new to the boards. I have been reading about everything that has been going on here the past couple of weeks....which is people stressing about their MCAT scores. Well this is where my questioning comes in.

1. I have a 3.9 in chemical engineering at Auburn University. I will be busting my ass to keep it up there (3.8-4.0 range). I am also the pre-med option of Chem E. What MCAT score would make me competitive (on GPA and MCAT scores) for high mid to upper tier schools?

hey u should study hard for the mcats and aim for the highest possible score so in response to ur question, yeah any score above a 30 will make u competitive but again there are
many other factors that will be considered, are u URM? what state are u from? ur EC'S? I am not sure if ur second tier school will affect ur application, but ur gpa is great! are u currently doing research?, many things will determine if u can apply to top tier schools, not necessirily ur mcat, sure if u get a high mcat, then u can pass most screening processes,.

2. How do you go about volunteering at hospitals and what do you do when you are volunteering. I will be joing the Pre-Med Society at school and they volunteer so I will be doing that.

i dont know year u are in, but start volunteering as soon as possible, find a hospital or hospice and cal their volunteer office, shadow a doctor, or a surgeon, also do things that u like, but make sure u have a well rounded application

3. What is the best review material for the MCAT. I am thinking about taking the KAPLAN course and using the EXAMKRACKERS. I have also been told to use TPR. What is the best?

there really is no best way, u have to decide how u study best, of courseu should start studying, take as many practice tests as possible, examkrackers probably has the best verbal strategy, but dont take my word for it, many peole like tpr, but some people also like kaplan, it really depends on u.

4. What advice do all of you have for me?

dont be discouraged by anything, take it one day at a time, remember it gets harder before it gets better, study hard for the mcats, dont assume u know it all, keep a positive attitude, help ur fellow pre meds, and good luck in chemical engineering! good job by the way ur gpa is great, i am also a chemical engineering major and uhm my gpa is like......, nope sorry cant say it too low.

Please help me out and as many of you give me advice and feedback as you can!!!!:cool:

DESFINITELY USE EXAMKRACKERS PHYSICS!!! It is excellent!!!
Kaplan Physical Sciences is so-so, but there Bio and O-Chem stuff is great.