help me pick schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need to narrow down my list...which four would you pick out of this list and why?

UCD
USC
UCI
Albert Einstein
NYU
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Boston

I'm a California resident, but I'm not really looking to stay in California~

Thanks so much for your input

Members don't see this ad.

smile82 said:
Hey guys,

I need to narrow down my list...which four would you pick out of this list and why?
<snip>

Are you really applying to only four?

Obviously, we need more information about your profile to find a fit for you. GPAs, MCAT scores, extracurriculars, clinical experience.

no I'm applying to 15...can't really afford more than that which is why I need to pick four more out of these schools

here are the other schools:
Harvard
Hopkins
Upenn
UCSF
Columbia
Yale
UMich
UCLA
UCSD
UPitt
Emory

here's some more info...

3.88, 33T
California resident
good ecs (research, clinical, leadership...one publication)
good LORs

I'm looking for a school that has good medical humanities and values public health practices, community service and outreach to underserved communities. I want to get an MD/MPH but I'm not limiting myself to schools that have the MPH program

Okay, hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
smile82 said:
no I'm applying to 15...can't really afford more than that which is why I need to pick four more out of these schools

Harvard
Hopkins
Upenn
UCSF
Columbia
Yale
UMich
UCLA
UCSD
UPitt
Emory

here's some more info...

3.88, 33T
California resident
good LORs

I'm looking for a school that has good medical humanities and values public health practices, community service and outreach to underserved communities. I want to get an MD/MPH but I'm not limiting myself to schools that have the MPH program

Okay, hope that helps

UCSF (state skool),UCLA( state skool), Upenn , and emory....i would tell you to apply to NJMS, but its not listed :( too low for u????

smile82 said:

Harvard
Hopkins
Upenn
UCSF
Columbia
Yale
UMich
UCLA
UCSD
UPitt
Emory

here's some more info...

3.88, 33T
California resident
good LORs

Okay, hope that helps

Looks like a large number of top-end reach schools. You are a good applicant but you may want to diversify your choices adding more midteir schools where your scores are well above the avg matriculant.

smile82 said:
Hey guys,

UCD
USC
UCI
Albert Einstein
NYU
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Boston

I'm a California resident, but I'm not really looking to stay in California~

Thanks so much for your input

I wouldn't want to live in CA or NYC, so that leaves Tufts and Boston. Instead of the NY schools, why not Ohio? How about Case?

hmm...thanks for your suggestions gujudoc

so i'm trying to pick four out of the following...

UCD
USC
UCI
Albert Einstein
NYU
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Boston

i was going to pick nyu, einstein, uci and usc...but i like sinai and tufts too

liverotcod said:
I wouldn't want to live in CA or NYC, so that leaves Tufts and Boston. Instead of the NY schools, why not Ohio? How about Case?

hm...don't know much about case...why not CA or NYC? I've never lived in the midwest so I guess that kind of scares me :)

I like the idea of being near a big city and a diverse population

smile82 said:
hm...don't know much about case...why not CA or NYC? I've never lived in the midwest so I guess that kind of scares me :)

I like the idea of being near a big city and a diverse population

It's completely a personal preference thing. I'm a midwesterner who likes cold winters, so most of CA would be out for me. Your New York schools are in the middle of, rather than near, the hugest population center in the US. But you've got UMich and UPitt, so I thought you might be interested in another great eastern-midwestern school. Case is pretty cool, and they have a neat 5-year program with an extra funded year of research in their College program.

Sometimes it seems like these schools are difficult to differentiate. I applied to 30, and I can't really even remember which is which at this point.

I know this isn't on your list but for what you want and also a pretty high ranked school is Ohio state University.

If I were you, I would apply to a few lower schools. Unless you have some special qualities (i.e. olympic athlete, Rhodes Scholar, etc.), most of these schools are probably just out of reach for you. You may not get into any of them. Try diversifying your application a little just in case (apply to a few lower-ranked schools).

patzan said:
If I were you, I would apply to a few lower schools. Unless you have some special qualities (i.e. olympic athlete, Rhodes Scholar, etc.), most of these schools are probably just out of reach for you. You may not get into any of them. Try diversifying your application a little just in case (apply to a few lower-ranked schools).

he has a great mcat score and a gr8 gpa.....how are they out of reach for those schools????......i think u have a high chance of being accepted. dont lose hope and dont let anyone let u down!

Also, what about Cornell? It's in NYC, and it seems to be the only one of those that you've omitted....