Need help picking a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluidity of Movement

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a psychology major with a biological & cognitive focus.

My junior spring semester will be:

- Physics 2 (4cr)
- Research Methods (Psych) (3cr)
- Immunology (3cr)
- X
- MCAT PREP LOL

I've been thinking about taking a second statistics class, or getting more time in at our rat lab, or even going for another cool psych class.

But have been thinking I might need more Bio uppers since MSAR has a lot of suggested ones from various schools (Genetics, etc).

Am I cool with just Immu (400), Micro (200), and Biochem (400), or am I shooting myself in the foot by not taking Genetics (200) or another 400 level? I'm trying to take Neuroscience (400) but would need approval / override since I don't have the pre-reqs.

I know and have read a bunch of posts on this but just curious for my specific situation, since a lot of my psych classes will be bio focused but not quite Neuroscience courses.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Realizing now I may not be able to take anymore upper division Bio classes because most require Cell + Genetics first :( Which means I'd have to try to take Cell + Genetics this fall. Oof.

I might be able to get an override though since I'm not a bio major.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many med schools suggest or require Genetics as one of your Bio classes, so that seems like a good one if it fits your schedule

Sigh, just now realizing our Genetics is "Genetics, evolution, development" and a 200 level class. And it has a pre-req of Cell that I don't currently have.

Le sigh.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are able to take immunology without having taken the cell bio class?? Physiology?

It's pre-req was micro :p

My micro from CC transfers in at 400 level... LOL. It was a damn rigorous class, the top students got to do research and had posters and a pub contribution the next semester.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
But have been thinking I might need more Bio uppers since MSAR has a lot of suggested ones from various schools (Genetics, etc).
In my experience, specific "suggested" classes are practically meaningless as a boost to your application. Some schools seem to look at some degree of upper level science as favorable, but I think immuno and biochem should suffice especially if some of your other major related classes have a more hard science focus like neuroscience. And even then, I know non-science majors that have gotten accepted to great schools with only the bare minimum pre-reqs.

Trying to impress with "rigor" is misguided in my opinion given that medical schools receive applicants from literally 100s of different colleges and they can't really understand or compare the implications of you choosing to take the "tough" courses at your school. So GPA remains king.

My advice is to fill the slot with a known "easy A" so that you can devote the spare time and mental energy to maximizing your grades in your other classes and making sure you kill the MCAT. A lot of people underestimate how easy it is to keep pushing off MCAT specific prep when you constantly have more time sensitive deadlines and exams looming.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
It seems to be a split down the middle ^=^ I guess I do have a lot of good options!!

I think Just DO it is making a good point that would be a lot of science with lab for MCAT semester. I would probably have no time to do any research in our lab. (My posters were from CC).

I suppose there is the option of bumping physics 2 to later but I personally would just want that one behind me xD

Thanks everyone I am feeling more confident and have a better idea of how to plan for when things get closer!!!!

Last edited:
I took physics 2, physics 2 lab, genetics, ecology, and an online public communication class this semester while also doing the MCAT. Do not recommend. If you have easy low work classes left and you gotta do the MCAT at this time, stack them now. It wasn't even so much that it can't be done, it's that between MCAT and studying for classes I literally had approximately zero free time and it's easy to get very stressed if you don't recognize it. You're a nontrad guy/gal IIRC so I'm sure i'm preaching to the choir here, but just be very careful with your time management if you move forward with it.

Reactions: 1 users