HELP ME PLEASE. Student rights? Please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phar

The Pacifist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What rights do we students have as being just a student? Is there a website or agency that explains student rights across the board(e.g. students have basic rights regardless of the school they attend and that schools must obey these rights)?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

phar said:
What rights do we students have as being just a student? Is there a website or agency that explains student rights across the board(e.g. students have basic rights regardless of the school they attend and that schools must obey these rights)?

thanx

I'm assuming we are only talking about U.S. based schools?

Every school has a guideline of rights for students and others.

Check your school / student guideline book or website.

If school is big enough they may have an Ombudesmen or something like that.

If it is something minor.. Prof treating you unfair... and it is your first year... still early. It is best that you appologies (even if you're not wrong) and not mention it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a small private college.

Perhaps if we knew the general nature of the case we could be more help. I know that there is the Education privacy and prevention act (title?) or something like that that prohibits schools from disclosing inforamition about you, and my school has a university court that deals with student specific issues. An ombudesman is another thing some schools have... Also, our school has a general council office that can refer students to the appropriate legal advice they need....PM me if you want to share specifics, I'll help if I can without judging.

I asked a simple question about "student rights". How come you guys what to know details? What is education? You pay money to get educated and yet you don't know your rights as a student. You need to know your rights and so that you feel comfortable walking around campus and not to be afraid of some stupid authority telling you what you can/cannot do as it is post high school education. I went to this school which is like a prison and i will make sure it will be free and justice will be served. Private schools or public school cannot infringe your basic rights as a being!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Private schools think it is their way and yet they get your tax money indirectly. So, they are a bunch of dambasses becauses student like me know the basics. So, i ask again. Where can you find your student rights?

O.K., yup, this guy is definitely foreign.

And just so everyone knows, the school he is talking about is Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Whatsa matter Phar? Don't like the dress code?

yposhelley said:
O.K., yup, this guy is definitely foreign.

And just so everyone knows, the school he is talking about is Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Whatsa matter Phar? Don't like the dress code?
]

Kiss me ass. I am american and will be. I am also very proud of my heritage. What is your problem? Do you think you are 100% american?. Go take history 101.

the ombudsman is a great resource and could potentially be a very powerful ally. your school should have a document that outlines students' rights. if it's a private school then things could get hairy, but i'm sure you would be able to find a hardcopy of something.

phar said:
]

Kiss me ass. I am american and will be. I am also very proud of my heritage. What is your problem? Do you think you are 100% american?. Go take history 101.

No, YOU kiss ME ass!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know what's worse...this OP's problem communicating with random flashes of anger, or the fact that you're making fun of him for it...

probably the fact you're making fun of it

This OP is a jerk-foreign or not-he has a huge attitude-whenver anyone tries to help him he attacks them-look at his other posts and you'll see what I mean. He also starts threads discouraging people from attending a certain college-and many find that offensive.

I didn't refer to his foreign status as a way of making fun of him. I refered to it for other peoples knowledge because it will help them to understand part of his communication problems. But being foreign (or speaking English as a 2nd language) is a only small part of the problem for him-the biggest problem he has is that huge chip on his shoulder.

phar said:
I asked a simple question about "student rights". How come you guys what to know details? What is education? You pay money to get educated and yet you don't know your rights as a student. You need to know your rights and so that you feel comfortable walking around campus and not to be afraid of some stupid authority telling you what you can/cannot do as it is post high school education. I went to this school which is like a prison and i will make sure it will be free and justice will be served. Private schools or public school cannot infringe your basic rights as a being!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Private schools think it is their way and yet they get your tax money indirectly. So, they are a bunch of dambasses becauses student like me know the basics. So, i ask again. Where can you find your student rights?

I think you should take some anger management classes and learn to control your emotions. It feels from this writing that you are either very zealous person or someone very angry. May this is your writing style. *shrugs*

*Further information about OP*- according to him, he got kicked out of medical school for failing microbiology three times-these are the 'rights' he is referring to.

Apparently you have a right to fail as many classes as you want and still get a degree in medicine.

yposhelley said:
*Further information about OP*- according to him, he got kicked out of medical school for failing microbiology three times-these are the 'rights' he is referring to.

Apparently you have a right to fail as many classes as you want and still get a degree in medicine.

Oh.. I would not know the details about why he failed microbiology 3 times but unless the grader purposely failed him 3 times when he should have passed then he has no real argument.

Everything being normal, if he failed the same class 3 times, I believe the medical school gave him plenty of chance for him to make up for the failed class.

I don't know of any medical school that gives a student 3 chances to pass a class. One is usually the case.

At a private school, you have the right to be manhandled and bit*hslapped. You have no constitutional protections (if signed away in legal contract, which is what happens at many private schools). You think you have the freedom of speech at a private school? Ha, tell that to BYU students :laugh:

Just so that everyone can be reaal clear what we're dealing with here...

phar said:
hey ya all.......miss me at all? my troll days are gone........ dr.mom and her annoying brother :) and many others....... I am now a millionare!!! good luck people and hang in there because school can get bitchy at times.

Your one and only PHAR. The king of SDN.