Help me please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsung

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
HI guys. Please take 3-5 minutes to answer the following questions. It is part of my English assignment that I need to interview people about 'grammar'. It is quite fun too. Here it goes.
first, read this please

Big G grammar: part of the science of linguistics and involves figuring out how language works: how language signals meaning, how it shows relationships among concepts and words, how it uses voice and intonation to communicate meaning.

little g grammar: a term that has come to mean everything from good table manner (say "thank you" " please") to "proper" English (spoken by Queen Elizabeth II); something that a great many people have become persuaded they ain't got.

now here goes questions:

What has been your own definition of the word "grammar"? Is your definition close to Big G (scientific or linguistic grammar) or to little g (the popular notion of grammar as ' good' English, proper spelling)? What were the sources of your impressions and definitions? When did you study grammar? for how long? what good did it to you?

Thank you very much.

akathisia

gait plagerist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What has been your own definition of the word "grammar"? Is your definition close to Big G (scientific or linguistic grammar) or to little g (the popular notion of grammar as ' good' English, proper spelling)? What were the sources of your impressions and definitions? When did you study grammar? for how long? what good did it to you?

Def: little g
sources: parents
study: home/college
length: youth/college
outcome: I have the tools to speak/act professionally