Help me please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kumar28

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, Here is the deal. I attended a Canadian School but am a US permanent resident for 15 years now. The Canadian School (Dalhousie U) only gives us 3 credits for a science class plus the lab. (ie Biology I + lab would only be counted as 3 credits) It is not like I took the easier version of Biology or anything it's just that my school doesn't give credit for labs (weird huh).

Now, I'm starting to fill all these secondaries and they are asking me about having 8 subject hours for Organic Chem. I have 6 (Organic I and II with labs in both). What should I do? Is this going to be a big problem with admission depts?

DOES ANYONE ELSE COME FROM A SCHOOL THAT IS SIMILAR?
HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEM?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent too much money already to have something petty like this hinder my app.

Thanks in advance.

PeAce

Members don't see this ad.

i really don't think it should matter. call the school up and tell them your situation.

bump....is there anyone out there who can give me some advice:(

Members don't see this ad :)
bruinkid gave you some good advice-- call the schools you're applying to and see what they say. i imagine they'll be pretty flexible with that sort of thing-- you've fulfilled the requirement, but your school classifies things differently. calling or emailing the various admissions offices would be better than listening to anyone's opinions on sdn.

and when you call those schools, tell them that you actually took a year of whatever subject you are talkign about.. That should clear any doubts. . . . if you indeed did take one year of that particular subject. I am not advocating any lies here.

It will not be a problem. I wouldn't even bother to call. Just put on the forms that you took bio I and II with labs. What happened when you filled out AMCAS? -- they have a conversion factor for each school that converts quarter and/or other weird credit hour systems for you.

thanks y'all
I called some of the schools and they seem to know that Canadian Schools are on a slightly different system.

and yes....sdners do give some good sound advice.:D

Keep it up y'all