Help me Rank!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathomon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello pathologists ,

Can you please help me in ranking these programs
1- uni of Louisville -Kentucky
2- Loyola Uni - Chicago
3- Uni of Texas Health science center - Houston
4-new York college of medicine - westchester medical center -Valhalla
5- Icahn school of medicine at Mount Sinai - NY
6-Baylor college of medicine - Houston

Members don't see this ad.

hello pathologists ,

2- Loyola Uni - Chicago
Mount Sinai proper or St Luke’s?

Members don't see this ad :)
From everything I have ever heard, you may want to avoid Mt. Sinai.
It is reputed to be an absolute zoo and a haven of last resort for
large #'s of IMG's. And you get paid crap to live in, arguably, the
most expensive place in the country. And the weather sucks.
I could be way off but I've heard this too frequently.

hello pathologists ,

2- Loyola Uni - Chicago
It depends where do you want to live, what fellowship your interested in and what kind of program you want.

I am not restricted to any area , I am an IMG so it's going to be a new area anyway .
I don't have a particular fellowship interest right now , I am just looking for a balanced residency where I have good future opportunities .

Wow, I'm matching DR this year but my wife matched path last year.
Since nobody is helping you rank these, and you really shouldn't rely on doximity, lemme help you out in terms of reputation/lifestyle value with no family associated location bias:

1- Baylor college of medicine - Houston
2- Uni of Texas Health science center - Houston
3- New York college of medicine - westchester medical center -Valhalla
4- Icahn school of medicine at Mount Sinai - NY
5- Loyola Uni - Chicago
6- uni of Louisville -Kentucky
Thank you I appreciate your advice,I have some questions

1- why would you rank NYCM-Valhalla above Loyola and Mount Sinai , even though they don't have rich resources , neither fellowships ?
2- I didn't like the vibe of the interview in UT- Houston they were not as pleasant as others, event though the have rich resources and big affiliations and a very good fellowship placement , as a matched resident how much does the interview vibe could effect my rank list ?

Thank you .

Last edited:

1- why would you rank NYCM-Valhalla above Loyola and Mount Sinai , even though they don't have rich resources , neither fellowships ?
2- I didn't like the vibe of the interview in UT- Houston they were not as pleasant as others, event though the have rich resources and big affiliations and a very good fellowship placement , as a matched resident how much does the interview vibe could effect my rank list ?

Thank you .
Allot that whyva

Thank you .
allot of it depends on what you want, and yea how you feel during interviews matter allot. You have to spend 4 years with this group.

Ive interviewed at loyola and UK, both seem like great programs and great people. A lot of it also depend on location as some places might rank you higher if you have ties or hopes of staying in the area. Also depends on how much you care about name/rep vs happiness. I would rank 1. Loyola 2. UK 3. Texas 4. Baylor 5. I can 6. Valhalla

Per my wife: You don't care for fellowships at programs that aren't top 10-15. You can go anywhere for fellowship even from the lowest-tier schools. The program matters very little. Every PD will put in a good word for you, and every PD has connections to those top 10/15. You're living here for 4 years. You want to learn, and have peace of mind.

-Valhalla caters to both independent self-learners, those who want to go home early, those who want to stay late, those who want extra help, etc. Also, valhalla is pretty prestigious to work at for attendings. A lot of attendings want to end up working there, which means they are REALLY happy. And you will see plenty mix of attendings, from MGH, u of c, Columbia. (I should note that I'm from this area, and done rotations here, I'm really trying not to have a bias, but I know a lot of the negatives about the hospital and to me it's just really not. that. bad.)

-Mt Sinai, despite the extremely high cost of living and the fact that every resident is barely getting by financially, the program is extremely robotic and stressful. Staying until 9 grossing, weekends, attendings making unreasonable demands, this is a serious heart attack program. The attendings are savage and will report you, and it rubs off on the residents relationships with each other. This results in the biggest problem: FAKE SMILES. "I know you felt it while you were there. Bunch of dead eyes and big smiles speaking like robots. I felt like I was in a black mirror episode at this program. Pretty resident room tho."

-Loyola, again, not the best part of Chicago, pathologists are kinda treated like crap. I interviewed here for DR. The suites were NICE. I've done prelim iv here in the IM department. Beautiful! My wife's exp in the pathology department, well let's say loyola doesn't really care about the path department. You will spend half your time (CP rotations) in the basement with no cell phone reception. They have an attending there that everyone looks up to and is actually one of the main educators, he has an eastern European accent. My wife said during the interview he just talked smack about the program and basically suggested she keep looking elsewhere because the interview day is a day of hiding all their skeletons. That holds true for every program, but she doesn't want to go to a place where the attendings don't want to be there.

As for your second question, My wife really wanted the interview but didn't get it but said her friend got it. She didn't like the interview at first but went for a second visit and a completely different vibe from Houston and it's now her number.
WOW , this is a very accurate description of what I saw , especially "FAKE SMILES" , and " Pretty resident room" .
Thank you for your great Input

Look at the last 5 years of 1st year residents (not graduates) and figure out the percent of FMGs in each program and then rank with the lowest percentage the highest etc.

Other strategies include where do you want to live after you are done, what towns you like the most, weather, faculty etc.