help me understand Electromotive force and flux

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I see that emf= -(delta flux) / delta t

but what exactly is flux and emf? I know that emf is a potential difference. so it like voltage? Can anyone explain this stuff to me in terms of mechanics, such as kinetic and potential energy?

also does current flow from - to + or vice versa

Members don't see this ad.

Emf is a term to describe the potential difference as you mentioned. In this sense it is analogous to voltage.

The voltage is the potential energy per unit charge, so a higher voltage can drive a greater current through some resistance (using the relationship of Ohm's Law that V = IR).

Current is slightly tricky. "Traditional Current" flows from positive to negative, but it is actually the electrons that are flowing from positive to negative.

The first term you listed is Faraday's Law of Induction. It describes how a changing magnetic field will generate a potential different through a conductor in the field (in the direction opposing the change in magnetic field strength).

2nd Edit: It is important to note that EMF = -d(Magnetic Flux)/dt = -dBA/dt = -(A)dB/dt if area is constant and the field is perpendicular.