Help me with Premed to Predent transition plz!!! (school list, recommendations)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elkordyz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!!

I graduated May 2018 with the intention of applying to med school. However, over the last year (mainly over the last two weeks) I've decided to apply to dental school. I have a 3.76 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA. I scored a 18 on a TPR practice DAT without studying so I'm shooting for between a 22-24 on the real thing. About 200 shadowing hours (only 40 are dental related though), around 2-300 hours of community service. Applying around for dental assistant positions now.

My questions:
-What makes a good dentalschool applicant? I've seen pretty mixed reviews everywhere I've looked.
-What are schools that I should apply for? I have a list of 17 so far but I've been seeing people apply anywhere from 5 to 30 so I don't know. I'm instate for Michigan and this is what I have so far: UMich, Detroit Mercy, UCSF, UCLA, Tufts, BU, Harvard, NYU, Columbia, WashU, LSU, Toronto, UNC, UIC, UPenn, Pitt.

Thanks in advance my dudes!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody!!

I graduated May 2018 with the intention of applying to med school. However, over the last year (mainly over the last two weeks) I've decided to apply to dental school. I have a 3.76 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA. I scored a 18 on a TPR practice DAT without studying so I'm shooting for between a 22-24 on the real thing. About 200 shadowing hours (only 40 are dental related though), around 2-300 hours of community service. Applying around for dental assistant positions now.

My questions:
-What makes a good dentalschool applicant? I've seen pretty mixed reviews everywhere I've looked.
-What are schools that I should apply for? I have a list of 17 so far but I've been seeing people apply anywhere from 5 to 30 so I don't know. I'm instate for Michigan and this is what I have so far: UMich, Detroit Mercy, UCSF, UCLA, Tufts, BU, Harvard, NYU, Columbia, WashU, LSU, Toronto, UNC, UIC, UPenn, Pitt.

Thanks in advance my dudes!!
Personally, I would not apply this cycle. Tbf, an 18 on a practice test (esp TPR, I haven't seen one person use them in their breakdown) doesn't mean much, if anything. Everyone, of course, aims for a good score, but it's much easier said than done. Dental school is competitive to get into, and has its own challenges. Having less than 25% of your total shadowing hours being dental will not be looked upon favorably by dental schools. I'm guessing many of your volunteer hours are similarly non-dental related.

I'd first take your DAT and see how you do first. I'd also up your shadowing to a minimum of 100, and have about 100 hours of dental-related volunteering (like at dental clinics, for ex).

In a nutshell, a good dental school applicant is well rounded, and has demonstrated strength in academics (which is shown by your DAT score, rather than your GPA), experience with the field (shadowing, working), and involvement in the community (volunteering).

No one can really, truly help you with a school list until you have your DAT. Lots of schools on your list are extremely competitive to get into, and some are hard on OOS applicants.

Not trying to be hard on you, but I just want you to be realistic. Med school admissions are different than dental school admissions. Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
18 on DAT is around 40 percentile, like 495 on the MCAT.
24 is around 99 percentile, like 525 in the MCAT.

Your GPA is great but the DAT is standardized. Aim for a 20 and you are gold if you expand your shadowing and volunteering. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU doesn't have a dental school anymore, unless you're thinking about UW

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I would not apply this cycle. Tbf, an 18 on a practice test (esp TPR, I haven't seen one person use them in their breakdown) doesn't mean much, if anything. Everyone, of course, aims for a good score, but it's much easier said than done. Dental school is competitive to get into, and has its own challenges. Having less than 25% of your total shadowing hours being dental will not be looked upon favorably by dental schools. I'm guessing many of your volunteer hours are similarly non-dental related.

I'd first take your DAT and see how you do first. I'd also up your shadowing to a minimum of 100, and have about 100 hours of dental-related volunteering (like at dental clinics, for ex).

In a nutshell, a good dental school applicant is well rounded, and has demonstrated strength in academics (which is shown by your DAT score, rather than your GPA), experience with the field (shadowing, working), and involvement in the community (volunteering).

No one can really, truly help you with a school list until you have your DAT. Lots of schools on your list are extremely competitive to get into, and some are hard on OOS applicants.

Not trying to be hard on you, but I just want you to be realistic. Med school admissions are different than dental school admissions. Good luck

Ok I’m not sure how much of an impact this would have on your response but: I do have about 5 weeks of working as a dental assistant in a clinic (so about 200 hours) but that was freshman year. Also I got a 513 on the MCAT which is obviously a different test but it’s why I’m hoping for a decent score on the exam. And thirdly I have the option of getting in ~40 of shadowing if I just wait to submit until mid-August.

Does this change anything or would you still say apply next year?

are you applying to med school and dental school? have you applied to med school before?

you have Toronto listed, are you a Canadian citizen?

Ok I’m not sure how much of an impact this would have on your response but: I do have about 5 weeks of working as a dental assistant in a clinic (so about 200 hours) but that was freshman year. Also I got a 513 on the MCAT which is obviously a different test but it’s why I’m hoping for a decent score on the exam. And thirdly I have the option of getting in ~40 of shadowing if I just wait to submit until mid-August.

Does this change anything or would you still say apply next year?
That was like about 3+ years ago, you need recent stuff. Working as a DA does not equal shadowing, it's just employment. As for your MCAT, a 513 is 88th percentile which would be between a 21-22 on the DAT, which isn't too bad, BUT it's not good enough if you apply late, which is what you're going to have to do. You chances go down significantly by applying mid-August. I applied at the end of August my cycle, and my saving grace were my stats, which were a 25 DAT and a 3.9+ GPA. Without them being that high, I don't think I would've been as successful applying at the end of August.

40 + 40 is still not 100, plus you need dental volunteering. And you'll need an LOR from a dentist. And you'll need two other LORs from professors, and then you'll need to write your PS and also, of course, study for and take the DAT (it is NOT a test you can wing by only studying for a few months). Also, if you previously applied to med schools, definitely do NOT apply this cycle. You need to get the med stuff behind you and show that you are committed to dentistry.

Would definitely recommend you not rush into applying, and instead use your time to strengthen your app and apply next year. Dental school is getting competitive each year, and you put plenty of top schools on your list lol

Reactions: 1 users
I'm super late ,but I say go for it! I got into UCSF dental and applied around Sept 1st. It is ideal to get the app in earlier, but I have heard many people apply later during the cycle while at interviews. Clearly I can't say the same thing will happen to you.. but Michigan would be really good for you! As for what looks good... it depends. Some school's prioritize community service (UCSF) and others prioritize research (Michigan). Schools just want to see a well balanced student that really wants to use their hands and has had other EC's that they did throughout undergrad. I would also not mention the medical school plans and the sudden switch during your interview. You'll probably end up with later interview dates, so just impress them. Good Luck my dude!

I'm super late ,but I say go for it! I got into UCSF dental and applied around Sept 1st. It is ideal to get the app in earlier, but I have heard many people apply later during the cycle while at interviews. Clearly I can't say the same thing will happen to you.. but Michigan would be really good for you! As for what looks good... it depends. Some school's prioritize community service (UCSF) and others prioritize research (Michigan). Schools just want to see a well balanced student that really wants to use their hands and has had other EC's that they did throughout undergrad. I would also not mention the medical school plans and the sudden switch during your interview. You'll probably end up with later interview dates, so just impress them. Good Luck my dude!

Thanks for the advice! I’ve already written my PS and I’m testing at a 21 on BC right now with a goal of taking it in 3 weeks or so! Question for you though: people keep talking about dental volunteering. What is that?

Also another question. I haven’t been able to look too much at schools since I posted this, so I’m not sure this is an appropriate list. Given that I have 1200 hours of research and assuming I get a a 24, what do you think?

Assumptions of scoring a 24 on the DAT versus you scoring a 24 on the DAT are VERY different. Practice exams aren't always good indicators of how well you'll do on the actual exam. Without an actual DAT score, any advice is useless.

Reactions: 1 users