WAMC: School Recommendations and Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdentist135

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 4th (hopefully)
Overall GPA: 3.93
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA - 21, TS - 20, Bio - 21, GC - 20, OC - 19, RC - 25, QR - 19, PA - 19
State of Residence: Michigan

Undergrad Attended: Oakland University
Major: Health Sciences
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? YNo
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 128 hrs with the GP I work with, 56 hrs with GP #2, 56 hrs with GP #3. All GP's diff and all are different clinics
Volunteering Experience: 100 hrs at a free clinic in Detroit as a dental assistant
Employment: ~3,000 hrs as a dental assistant, ~60 hrs as a Bio 1 Supplementary Instruction Lead
Research: None right now but I have to complete a piece of research next year to graduate from the Honors College
Other Extracurriculars: ~100 hrs as Treasure for Dental Club (started the club), ~250 hrs as Outreach Lead with Paani (Non-Profit), ~400 hrs as Fundraiser Organizer for INDUS Hospital (Free Hospital), ~3,000 hrs as a Board Member of Mosque Youth Group (lead a wide range of programs over the years)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors College Student, On a Presidential Scholarship, Made President's List for 3 semesters (GPA <3.9), Made Dean's List for 1 semester (GPA <3.5). Freshman Year we are only eligible for Academic Honors which is GPA <3.0 .
LOR type and strength: LOR #1 from GP I work with, very strong. LOR #2 from GP I work with at the free clinic, very strong. LOR #3 from my physics professor, he did not share it with me but I would assume it is normal to be safe. LOR #4 from my biology professor, he did not share it with me but I would assume it is normal to be safe.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
No research and Average DAT
School list:

In State schools: University of Michigan and Detroit Mercy
Out of State: Midwestern - IL, University of Illinois, Ohio State, Case Western, Marquette University, New York University, University at Buffalo, University of Texas - Houston, and Texas A&M

Open to all school suggestions! Narrowing down schools is something I really struggled with. Also what's the main difference between volunteer and extracurriculars? Are extracurriculars just tied to the school?

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: June 4th (hopefully)
Overall GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.88
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.88
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA - 21, TS - 20, Bio - 21, GC - 20, OC - 19, RC - 25, QR - 19, PA - 19
State of Residence: Michigan

Undergrad Attended: Oakland University
Major: Health Sciences
Minor: Business
Minority? No
Reapplicant? YNo
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 128 hrs with the GP I work with, 56 hrs with GP #2, 56 hrs with GP #3. All GP's diff and all are different clinics
Volunteering Experience: 100 hrs at a free clinic in Detroit as a dental assistant
Employment: ~3,000 hrs as a dental assistant, ~60 hrs as a Bio 1 Supplementary Instruction Lead
Research: None right now but I have to complete a piece of research next year to graduate from the Honors College
Other Extracurriculars: ~100 hrs as Treasure for Dental Club (started the club), ~250 hrs as Outreach Lead with Paani (Non-Profit), ~400 hrs as Fundraiser Organizer for INDUS Hospital (Free Hospital), ~3,000 hrs as a Board Member of Mosque Youth Group (lead a wide range of programs over the years)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors College Student, On a Presidential Scholarship, Made President's List for 3 semesters (GPA <3.9), Made Dean's List for 1 semester (GPA <3.5). Freshman Year we are only eligible for Academic Honors which is GPA <3.0 .
LOR type and strength: LOR #1 from GP I work with, very strong. LOR #2 from GP I work with at the free clinic, very strong. LOR #3 from my physics professor, he did not share it with me but I would assume it is normal to be safe. LOR #4 from my biology professor, he did not share it with me but I would assume it is normal to be safe.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: No research and Average DAT
School list:
In State schools: University of Michigan and Detroit Mercy
Out of State: Midwestern - IL, University of Illinois, Ohio State, Case Western, Marquette University, New York University, University at Buffalo, University of Texas - Houston, and Texas A&M

Open to all school suggestions! Narrowing down schools is something I really struggled with. Also what's the main difference between volunteer and extracurriculars? Are extracurriculars just tied to the school?
drop NYU

texas schools are extremely difficult OOS, even with your stats...

Reactions: 1 user
NYU is super $, Texas schools are tough to get into OOS. Not saying you don’t have a chance, but it’s probably pretty slim just bc you would be applying as an OOS student.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like I would label most of those extracurriculars you have as volunteer experiences, unless you got paid. And yes, typically an “extracurricular experience” is an activity related to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, your two in-states are your best bets, and I would strike Texas since they are a different system (TMDSAS) and are not likely to take that many OOS unless you really show a very strong fit with them.

Find out from your prehealth advising office of patterns of acceptances outside of Michigan. Where have other students attended dental school OOS?

NYU is super $, Texas schools are tough to get into OOS. Not saying you don’t have a chance, but it’s probably pretty slim just bc you would be applying as an OOS student.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like I would label most of those extracurriculars you have as volunteer experiences, unless you got paid. And yes, typically an “extracurricular experience” is an activity related to the school.
agreed.

Your best chance is getting into Michigan schools. have you visited or interacted with anyone at either schools?

Yeah that is what I have heard about Texas as well.
After going back and looking at it your right, most of those are volunteer experiences. Thank you for clarifying that!

Yeah, your two in-states are your best bets, and I would strike Texas since they are a different system (TMDSAS) and are not likely to take that many OOS unless you really show a very strong fit with them.

Find out from your prehealth advising office of patterns of acceptances outside of Michigan. Where have other students attended dental school OOS?
I did not think of that, I will be sure to reach out and ask my prehealth advisor. Thank you for the advice!

agreed.

Your best chance is getting into Michigan schools. have you visited or interacted with anyone at either schools?
Not officially, but I have talked to a lot of dental students at both schools and attended an online meeting that the University of Michigan held with Pre-Dental students. Is it too late to look for something more official?

Not officially, but I have talked to a lot of dental students at both schools and attended an online meeting that the University of Michigan held with Pre-Dental students. Is it too late to look for something more official?
never too late. just see if you can show your face at something there to get your name out there