HELP-My Program Is CLOSING!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ja36070

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an intern in a residency program that has been bought by another program and is essentially being phased out. When I interviewed, I was told that the two programs will be merging. Unfortunately, this isn't the case as I just found out my class will be the last class of this hospital's program. Residents from the new hospital will be rotating with us but I will not any interns under me :(
Has anyone ever been in this position? Does my GME office or ACGME have any obligation to help me find a new spot??

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that. :( I have a similar enough situation at my program, no one will be recruited this year. I will have no interns under me.

I have read that if a residency program actually closes and leaves its residents to find a program to transfer to, then they can take their Medicare funding position with them to the new institution. This reduces the institution's Medicare funding by one for each resident who left, but has no effect on the cap for future years. But in situations like the OP's and mine, where the program isn't technically closing and we'll be allowed to continue until we complete training, can we petition someone to transfer Medicare funding?

Hi,
I'm an intern in a residency program that has been bought by another program and is essentially being phased out. ...I just found out my class will be the last class of this hospital's program. Residents from the new hospital will be rotating with us but I will not any interns under me ...Does my GME office or ACGME have any obligation to help me find a new spot??
First, you are not being dumped or stranded.... YOU and your class will be the last ones trained. So, NO, they have no reason or obligation to find you another program because you lack subordinates.... which is the gist of your question.

Keep your chin-up, work hard, and complete your training.

I have seen this numerous times and unfortunately the ACGME and the program itself have no obligation to help you get a new spot. Almost all residents have only 1 year renewable contracts.

If the program is not closing and saying you can stay until completion you are likely in for a rough ride. Since they will not be taking any new residents and some of the current residents will likely leave you will have less bodies to share the call and the workload. The workload of the remaining residents will likely intensify greatly. Since the program no longer has to recruit residents they will not be very concerned with maintaining a positive environment for residents.

In multiple situations where I have seen this the residents that remain have been hammered.
You will also almost certainly see attrition among your faculty as well as they seek other jobs. Many attendings at residency programs are attracted to the fact that the residents relieve them of having as many disturbances/calls during the night and they will seek jobs at other programs that are not closing.

I am sorry to hear of your probem and I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm an intern in a residency program that has been bought by another program and is essentially being phased out. When I interviewed, I was told that the two programs will be merging. Unfortunately, this isn't the case as I just found out my class will be the last class of this hospital's program. Residents from the new hospital will be rotating with us but I will not any interns under me :(
Has anyone ever been in this position? Does my GME office or ACGME have any obligation to help me find a new spot??

Are you saying that you want a spot at a different program because you won't have any interns under you? Or that you won't have a position next year?? If you are the "last class" trained but you work with other residents there then maybe your program has sort of merged?