Help Narrow Down My DO School List Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Asian. Louisiana resident. 29 MCAT (9/10/10). GPA 3.3-3.5 with cGPA higher than sGPA. Tons of volunteering, 3 years of research, scribe for 6 months. I only have an MD letter, but I scribed for a few DOs and my brother's neurosurgeon is a DO.

1. ATSU - KCOM
  2. ATSU - SOMA
  3. ACOM
  4. AZCOM
  5. CUSOM
  6. CCOM
  7. DMUCOM
  8. VCOM - Auburn
  9. VCOM - Carolinas
  10. VCOM - Virginia
  11. KCUCOM
  12. LECOM
  13. LECOM - Bradenton
  14. LMUCOM
  15. MUCOM
  16. MSUCOM
  17. NSUCOM
  18. PCOM
  19. PCOM - Georgia
  20. RVUCOM
  21. Touro - NY
  22. Touro - California
  23. Touro - Nevada
  24. WVSOM
  25. WCUCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Background: Asian. Louisiana resident. 29 MCAT (9/10/10). GPA 3.3-3.5 with cGPA higher than sGPA. Tons of volunteering, 3 years of research, scribe for 6 months. I only have an MD letter, but I scribed for a few DOs and my brother's neurosurgeon is a DO.

1. ATSU - KCOM
  2. ATSU - SOMA
  3. ACOM
  4. AZCOM
  5. CUSOM
  6. CCOM
  7. DMUCOM
  8. VCOM - Auburn
  9. VCOM - Carolinas
  10. VCOM - Virginia
  11. KCUCOM
  12. LECOM
  13. LECOM - Bradenton
  14. LMUCOM
  15. MUCOM
  16. MSUCOM
  17. NSUCOM
  18. PCOM
  19. PCOM - Georgia
  20. RVUCOM
  21. Touro - NY
  22. Touro - California
  23. Touro - Nevada
  24. WVSOM
  25. WCUCOM
Do you really see yourself going to each school on that list? With your MCAT (and even your gpas) you will definitely get in somewhere. Apply where you most want to go, and keep a newer school or 2 as a back up.

If it were me I'd get rid of CCOM, AZCOM, and MSUCOM on basis of tuition. Ditch WCU, SOMA, a couple of the VCOMs, and PCOM-GA cause you will definitely get into better schools than those.

I get that you want to apply broadly but that's a lot of $$$ and a lot of secondaries to write when you have good stats

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really see yourself going to each school on that list? With your MCAT (and even your gpas) you will definitely get in somewhere. Apply where you most want to go, and keep a newer school or 2 as a back up.

If it were me I'd get rid of CCOM, AZCOM, and MSUCOM on basis of tuition. Ditch WCU, SOMA, a couple of the VCOMs, and PCOM-GA cause you will definitely get into better schools than those.

I get that you want to apply broadly but that's a lot of $$$ and a lot of secondaries to write when you have good stats

Thank you! That was a preliminary list based on what I got from the info book, so I eliminated some based on regional bias and mission statements I don't follow. Still have lots to research but your input helps!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ing-to-every-do-school.1140082/#post-16538808

But his cumulative was much higher and you said your science is lower (you need to specify)- schools make cuts
Start doing some serious research about your gpa and stats. Also repost with specific gpas, and ECs. If all you have is 6mo as a scribe, you're in trouble.

6 months, but about 500 hours isn't enough? I had to quit for personal reasons. I have this year to find more clinical activities to do while I apply if I really need to, but I kind of wanted an easy year after a hectic couple of years.

If all you have is 6mo as a scribe, you're in trouble.

Eh, we dont know the reason(s) why OP only dedicated 6 months.

6 months, but about 500 hours isn't enough? I had to quit for personal reasons.

As I said before, scribing is probably the golden opportunity for pre-meds. It's 100x better than volunteering because you really get into the thought process of the physician(s). You can ask any questions, and if they like you, they will grant you some LORs.

Now, all of the my former scribemates had quit because:
1) They werent proficient enough to keep up with the steep learning curve.
2) Low pay for the amount of crushing workload
3) They didn't type fast enough (This WAS an issue with me)
4) Negative attitude or had a vasovagal reaction to the sight of blood ,pricking of the needle, bloody lacerations, exposed wounds, etc.
5) Or they got accepted to a med school. :highfive:

Do you mind sharing why you quit after 6 months? If you said because you needed more time to breakdance (because youre Asian), then that is a sufficed reason. :laugh:

I'd throw out the ones with heavy in state bias unless you're living in that state.
MSUCOM has something like a 90%+ in state enrollment.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh, we dont know the reason(s) why OP only dedicated 6 months.

As I said before, scribing is probably the golden opportunity for pre-meds. It's 100x better than volunteering because you really get into the thought process of the physician(s). You can ask any questions, and if they like you, they will grant you some LORs.

Now, all of the my former scribemates had quit because:
1) They werent proficient enough to keep up with the steep learning curve.
2) Low pay for the amount of crushing workload
3) They didn't type fast enough (This WAS an issue with me)
4) Negative attitude or had a vasovagal reaction to the sight of blood ,pricking of the needle, bloody lacerations, exposed wounds, etc.
5) Or they got accepted to a med school. :highfive:

Do you mind sharing why you quit after 6 months? If you said because you needed more time to breakdance (because youre Asian), then that is a sufficed reason. :laugh:

Lol for family reasons. I also commuted an hour to scribe, so, after graduation, I accepted a local full-time job offer in the lab I was working in during undergrad. (During undergrad, I held two part time jobs simultaneously, scribing and researching. Not because I had to, but because I was being silly and because I found work more exciting than my studies.) I wrote in my PS about how scribing was most influential in my decision to become a doctor, if that counts for anything.

I also did some minimal shadowing, but scribing was the best clinical experience I had! I volunteered in a free clinic for a very short time, but it was bs. Just checking patients in. No real clinical work. I could do some hospital volunteering, but it's the same and would be meaningless. Usually scribe companies want you to commit >1 year, but I'm being hopeful that I will be accepted this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
To the OP thats the same breakdown I have for my MCAT.

Isnt Physical Sciences a bitch?

4th grade elementary algebra ruined my potential 10 on that section.

I hate math.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest that you do your homework and find out which schools require a DO LOR. LECOM is one.

In the mean time, I suggest considering:

1. ACOM
  2. AZCOM
  3. CCOM
  4. DMUCOM
  5. VCOM - Virginia
  6. KCUCOM
  7. LMUCOM
  8. MUCOM
  9. NSUCOM
  10. PCOM
  11. RVUCOM
  12. Touro - NY
  13. Touro - California
  14. Touro - Nevada
  15. WVSOM
  16. Western (both)

WVSOM also requires a D.O. letter! :)

I suggest that you do your homework and find out which schools require a DO LOR. LECOM is one.

In the mean time, I suggest considering:

1. ACOM
  2. AZCOM
  3. CCOM
  4. DMUCOM
  5. VCOM - Virginia
  6. KCUCOM
  7. LMUCOM
  8. MUCOM
  9. NSUCOM
  10. PCOM
  11. RVUCOM
  12. Touro - NY
  13. Touro - California
  14. Touro - Nevada
  15. WVSOM
  16. Western (both)

I think VCOM-Virginia and the Westerns have regional bias. Great base list though! I will continue researching to finalize my list. Thank you!

To the OP thats the same breakdown I have for my MCAT.

Isnt Physical Sciences a bitch?

4th grade elementary algebra ruined my potential 10 on that section.

I hate math.

1000 times yes.