Help! need advice on merging my interests & finding right program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stardustland

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am posting in this forum as a PsyD/PhD would be my end goal. Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Current Situation: I just finished my undergrad in architecture at UC Berkeley with 3.519. I realized I didn't want to do architecture last year, but it was too late to change my major. I am currently recovering from my own past through CBT and working with children, which I have found to be very therapeutic. I am taking early childhood education classes for work and interest and plan to get an AA in psych for interest and background/foundation for further study (What do you think of this idea?). I am planning to work for another 2-3 years to save for grad school and ascertain what I want to do. Even though I don't have a background psychology, I am certain it is what I want to do. I volunteered on a suicide hotline briefly until it fired up my PTSD. I put it on pause and got back into therapy. I am doing much better now. I plan to go back.

I am not sure what program I should do. I know that:
I want to work as a therapist
I want to incorporate art therapy into my practice
I am interested in childhood development trauma & want to do research in the field (what are some schools that excel in this field?)
I am interested in psychology as a science, not only as a practice (which is why I want do get a PsyD/PhD)
I don't want my practice to be based on giving prescriptions (this is just my uninformed idea of what some psychologists do)
I want to do the program in California or Canada
I need work while doing the doctoral program
I would like to make more than 50,000/year
I want to go to a high-quality program (but how do I know if it is?)
I want do work with children as well as adults
I am interested in mindfulness practices

I am wondering how to find the right program and what volunteering I can do to be a good psychologist/therapist. I would love to know where I can more information - websites, books, etc. Here are some questions I have:
- What programs should I consider?
- How can I get experience in the fields through volunteering?
- If I get a masters in art therapy, how does that place me as a candidate for a PsyD/PhD?
- Should I re-take my GRE? V:158 M:166 W:3.5 (sad face)

Any input/ideas would be helpful! Thank you so much.

Edit: I lack basic information on psych programs - what programs require internship and such. Any help there would be great also. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)