Help! Need Input on Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalala21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I would really appreciate anyone's feedback concerning the following schools:

University of Virginia
University of Minnesota
University of Iowa

I am having a very difficult time deciding between them. I am out of state for all of them so there isn't much difference in price. If it helps, I am interested in ER, Internal Medicine, or Surgery and would like to end up in CA for residency.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think any of the three schools will help you get into a residency in CA since none of those schools are in california.

however if you just want to know the general strength of the programs at those schools...you can ask some members that know something about them...

for instance if i am not mistaken Andrew_Doan is a SDN moderator on this site that comes on frequently and I think he is doing his residency there and is on the selection committee for Iowa so you can PM him about his thoughts.

I don't know too much about the other two schools other than the fact they are solid schools. Virginia may have more national recognition and thus may help you in your journey towards california...but thats all i can offer.

the search function will be your best friend :).

Well, I personally suggest that you give up your spot at U of Minnesota so I can get in...

Just kidding...honestly any of those are good choices. I don't know much about UVa, so I can't offer my opinion there. The twin cities are a very good place for a medical school because of the urban atmosphere and proximity to many different hospitals. I can't speak for surgery or IM training, but I can tell you that there are 2 urban level 1 trauma centers with EM residencies (Hennepin and Regions), and I work in the ED at Regions and can tell you that the EM training at the U of MN is very good. U Iowa has a new EM residency program, so I know that they are an up and coming program as well. Recommendations from the program directors at any of these hospitals will be well recognized nationally. I daresay the patient population is more variable in the twin cities, so I think it would expose you to a lot of cultural differences just as you will see in CA.

So, maybe this is a little helpful - for selfish reasons I would tell you to pick U of I or UVA over U of MN, but definitely consider location as well (Iowa City - yuck...Minneapolis - brrr in the winter...).

Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me if you have more questions about the U of MN.

i know virtually nothing about any of these schools, but i do know i would live in VA in a heartbeat over t'other places.