Help! Need some Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandemia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be very brief,

My application is good in terms of my extracurricular activities, gpa, letters of recommendation etc. However, my MCAT has been my greatest weakness. For many reasons, I cannot study for the MCAT while I'm at my parents house due to many factors. The only way I can study for the MCAT is to move out of my house. There are two options that I need help in deciding:

a) Seek an MPH + Research + Volunteer (the problem with this is being stuck with loans, dealing with the stress of an otherwise challenging curriculum)

b) Seek full-time employment + Research + Volunteer + MCAT class (No loans, just need serious discipline to balance lifestyle)

No matter what the case is I still need to study for the MCAT...I prefer working full-time and studying in the evenings through an MCAT class. But I would like to hear other peoples opinions and make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Study and work. Don't take unnecessary loans, and spend more time studying something else, while you should be studying MCAT. It's easier to cut back hours but still be able to work and make some money, or cut back on research and volunteering, while studying. Basically, study as much as you need for the MCAT, saturate the rest with work, volunteer, research, and fun stuff to relax outside of the house. Requires way less money, results in making some money, and allows you to focus studies on MCAT, not MPH.

You don't have to move out if you're never there anyways.

Edit: As @Goro asked, you can't just go to a library? Although, if it's rough at home, I understand how incidents while you're not studying can greatly influence you when you begin studying, and being at the library all day is just...rough.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can't just go to a library????

Get out of here, what with your simple practical solutions and whatnot.

Reactions: 2 users
You can't just go to a library????

I tried but I can't function properly knowing that I will go to my house. It's a matter of lack of privacy and faulty family dynamics. I feel like I don't have control and constantly being monitored and judged by members of my household. It's a bigger problem then you think but in the end I truly believe that I can't be myself and study properly knowing that I will come back to the same house.

I suspect that you have bigger issues to deal with if this is your explanation. Counseling might help, but moving in with friends is a solution.

I tried but I can't function properly knowing that I will go to my house. It's a matter of lack of privacy and faulty family dynamics. I feel like I don't have control and constantly being monitored and judged by members of my household. It's a bigger problem then you think but in the end I truly believe that I can't be myself and study properly knowing that I will come back to the same house.

I suspect that you have bigger issues to deal with if this is your explanation. Counseling might help, but moving in with friends is a solution.

Thank you for understanding my situation Goro. Regardless, I'm assuming that MPH is off the table?

I understand, OP. Faulty family dynamics can really mess with your mindset, following you to even the most tranquil of libraries. Are you out of school? Is there a possibility of making research your full-time paid work? This past year I've been working in research full-time, completing a few postbac courses, and studying for the MCAT. It wasn't any fun, but I'd still recommend it.

I understand, OP. Faulty family dynamics can really mess with your mindset, following you to even the most tranquil of libraries. Are you out of school? Is there a possibility of making research your full-time paid work? This past year I've been working in research full-time, completing a few postbac courses, and studying for the MCAT. It wasn't any fun, but I'd still recommend it.

I am currently out of school. I could possibly make research my full-time job. That is not a bad option either. How can one go on about finding paid research positions and where exactly? I understand volunteering in research labs which I have done already but paid positions are usually reserved for enrolled students if I'm not mistaken (at least the campus positions) or even hospital ones which are super competitive I think. I could be wrong. I'd highly appreciate your insight regarding ways to obtain paid research positions.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a few large medical/research institutions, so there were a lot of opportunities open for research assistants when I graduated. If your school has a strong alumni network, I suggest cold-emailing alumni in research to see if they have any spots open. Online application systems are often dead ends; in my case, an alumna had posted a job on the alumni page that wasn't posted on the application portal yet, and I emailed her. I'm not rolling in dough, but I'm able to make a living until medical school.

Thank you Parachichi and others that have taken their time to address my concern. I appreciate everything :)

Reactions: 1 user
1. what was your mcat score?
2. what is so good about the rest of your application?
3. not everyone needs to become a doctor.

Google is your friend

https://www.google.com/search?site=....0....0...1c.1.64.hp..5.18.1921.0.2-Iy_MUvaHo

https://www.google.com/search?q=res....7.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..1.7.853.0PRIB1apAG4

I'm lucky enough to live in an area with a few large medical/research institutions, so there were a lot of opportunities open for research assistants when I graduated. If your school has a strong alumni network, I suggest cold-emailing alumni in research to see if they have any spots open. Online application systems are often dead ends; in my case, an alumna had posted a job on the alumni page that wasn't posted on the application portal yet, and I emailed her. I'm not rolling in dough, but I'm able to make a living until medical school.