Help! Need to make a decision.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentLeF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Should I go to Nova for ~ 250K or UoP for ~ 340K?

I was accepted to DS and have narrowed down my choices to UoP or Nova. I am from South Florida and I plan on eventually practicing there. I don't know whether I want to specialize or not, therefore I want to leave that option open.

UoP gave me a scholarship - It would add up to be around 330K
Since I'd have to take the Boards in Florida (if immediately after DS I decide to go back), I've read that most OOS graduates have to take a course that helps you with the process that is about 8K - So I expect around 340K

Nova's would be around 250K. I'd live at home my last two years.

A few months back price was never something that bothered me, but now it is a huge factor. Nova used to be my number one about a year ago, but things changed. I really loved UoP, but I'm not 100% positive that it's the best option given the debt, far away from family, 3 years (rushed) and might hinder my chances of specializing if I were to decide to.

I'd really appreciate any advice. I have to send in my deposit to Nova in a few days. I've been struggling with this decision.

Thank you :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I was accepted to DS and have narrowed down my choices to UoP or Nova. I am from South Florida and I plan on eventually practicing there. I don't know whether I want to specialize or not, therefore I want to leave that option open.

Since I'd have to take the Boards in Florida (if immediately after DS I decide to go back), I've read that most OOS graduates have to take a course that helps you with the process that is about 8K - So I expect around 340K

A few months back price was never something that bothered me, but now it is a huge factor. Nova used to be my number one about a year ago, but things changed. I really loved UoP, but I'm not 100% positive that it's the best option given the debt, far away from family, 3 years (rushed) and might hinder my chances of specializing if I were to decide to.

I'd really appreciate any advice. I have to send in my deposit to Nova in a few days. I've been struggling with this decision.

From the way you're writing this post, it seems that you want to go to nova since you list the following reasons for going:

Cheaper, family support, less rushed, better chance of specializing

and as for your reasons for going to uop...it is the scholarship, which still makes it 100,000 more than nova.

Just my 2 cents

From the way you're writing this post, it seems that you want to go to nova since you list the following reasons for going:

Cheaper, family support, less rushed, better chance of specializing

and as for your reasons for going to uop...it is the scholarship, which still makes it 100,000 more than nova.

Just my 2 cents

Thank you for your advice.

I'm just considering money a lot more now. Each option has its own pros, but being that Nova would be the cheapest I'm also looking at the other positives that it has.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone will tell you to choose your cheapest option and reasons A-Z of how this will benefit you. However, there must be good reasons that you are considering the pricier one. For personal reasons more important than the money, I am choosing an expensive school over my own state school. This is an extremely important decision. But, hard work at either school will get you to where you want to be in the future. This may sound silly but if you really are unsure flip a coin. You will realize what you really want once the coin is in the air.

Hello everyone,

I'm having the same issue with Nova and UAB, UAB offered me a scholarship but nova is close to home. Can I ask how you came I an estimate of 250k at nova? Given ADEA estimates for tools, books, tuition, living I was estimating Nova to cost approximately 300k even as an instate student. I've received mixed advice, go for the cheapest or go where you will be happiest. Ultimately I'm feeling that happiness must be more important than cost... You're going to be in school for 4 tough years, make sure it's as enjoyable as possible and go where your heart tells you you belong

I've received mixed advice, go for the cheapest or go where you will be happiest. Ultimately I'm feeling that happiness must be more important than cost... You're going to be in school for 4 tough years, make sure it's as enjoyable as possible and go where your heart tells you you belong

Cost >>> everything if the difference is more then 50K. Unless the school you're going to is an absolute piece of trash. I'd go to dental school in Cowboy Ranch, Wyoming if it only cost 200K.

When that 400K loan comes knocking with interest, you're going to wonder why you went somewhere "cool" and happy. Ask multiple dentists and show them the numbers. The majority that's unbiased is going to recommend the less expensive school.

Thats a tough one because you can factor in future earnings of one extra year in, I think this has been stated in other threads but you take into account not what you will earn one year out right after but instead what you will earn at the last year at the end of your career. This therefore would make UoP the cheaper school, I have friends that go to UoP and they all enjoy it, its an awesome place. If you were to specialize UoP is not hinderance, it is one of the most reputable schools that has a strong clinical program, and strong networking. I think most people here would never turn down UoP unless it was for an Ivy which is still ridiculous. Just factoring in the cost and clinical education which I think are the two most important factors (especially looking back at everything) UoP is the better option. You will also have another advantage of knowing the area around two places San fran and south florida and judging your prospects of opening up a practice in the area that you think would have a greater earning potential, and from what I hear south florida is saturated with dentists. In all go where you think is right but if I were to do things differently I would have considered cost and clinical education a lot more.

Cost >>> everything if the difference is more then 50K. Unless the school you're going to is an absolute piece of trash. I'd go to dental school in Cowboy Ranch, Wyoming if it only cost 200K.

When that 400K loan comes knocking with interest, you're going to wonder why you went somewhere "cool" and happy. Ask multiple dentists and show them the numbers. The majority that's unbiased is going to recommend the less expensive school.

Personally I think you'll get more out of a school if you are enjoying your time there. I think cost is definitely a factor but everywhere you go you are going to have debt. You might as well go where you are happy. You may take an extra year or so to pay back loans but in the grand scheme of things I don't think the money is as important

OP,

While i feel you will here most SDN members telling you to lean toured the cheaper school, i will give you my reasons i would choose UoP if i was fortunate enough to receive an interview/acceptance.

Clinical: UoP is known for its great clinical, even with its fast paced 3 year program. To me this says a lot.

Location: San Francisco, for me the weather is almost perfect and the surrounding area is amazing (I almost moved there a few years ago because of this)

Cost: You always see Pre-Dents comparing cost of dental schools, however UoP is only three years (this means you are making a salary a year early). IMO this is huge, this is not a year early of X amount first year salary, it is a year more of your last years salary... For argument sake and ease lets just account for this income to be $120,000. now your UoP tuition is $220K.

I'm having the same issue with Nova and UAB, UAB offered me a scholarship but nova is close to home. Can I ask how you came I an estimate of 250k at nova? Given ADEA estimates for tools, books, tuition, living I was estimating Nova to cost approximately 300k even as an instate student. I've received mixed advice, go for the cheapest or go where you will be happiest. Ultimately I'm feeling that happiness must be more important than cost... You're going to be in school for 4 tough years, make sure it's as enjoyable as possible and go where your heart tells you you belong

It's a really tough decision. Well I have a copy of Nova's information that came from the ADEA book - I believe the 2011 version. I changed the living expenses according to how I plan to live. I plan to have roommates and pay 500-700 dollars a month. There are options. But even if it didn't work out and I'd make it 20k a year for the first two years, it would still be 260k to attend Nova in my case. My parents are also gonna help me with the food, so I'm not really factoring that in. Also, I will live at home my last two years. I'm from Miami and many students have told me that during your third or fourth year it is not a big deal to commute.

Tuition/ fees/ books+instruments/ living

Y1 -- 46,150 + 895 + 14,500 + 15,000 = 76,545
Y2 -- 46,150 + 895 + 10,500 + 15,000 = 72,545
Y3 -- 44,288 + 895 + 6,500 + ____ = 51,683
Y4 -- 44,288 + 895 + 5,000 + ____ = 50,183
Total Debt: = 250,956

Last edited:
Although I'd argue Pacific is the better school, Nova is a much better situation for you. I'm in the same boat, I applies broadly to lots of places, only to get sticker shock. My sense of adventure was beaten down by the realities of debt. I know something new may seem exciting, but you are set in Florida right now and the price is right.

If you plan to live in Florida after graduation, you have to consider what boards you need to take to practice there, your connections, and education:
1) boards: see which are needed in Florida. If you can take those in Cali, then you can still consider UoP, but you need to know that if you need to travel to a different city to take them you need to pay transportation, food and board for your patients or find patients in a different city. Both complicated things.

2)connections: does UoP have an alumni network in Florida? How will you easily find mentors and future employment?

3)education: UoP is 3 years, although more expensive. You might make the money back by working full time one year while others are in their 4th year. Still, will you learn all you need to know in a rushed 3 year program? If you had some training before as a dental hygienist, technician, or assistant you may benefit from the quick turn-around graduation.

Haven't been to neither of these two schools, but I probably chose Nova if I was you.

Personally I think you'll get more out of a school if you are enjoying your time there. I think cost is definitely a factor but everywhere you go you are going to have debt. You might as well go where you are happy. You may take an extra year or so to pay back loans but in the grand scheme of things I don't think the money is as important

Everywhere you go you have debt, yes. But you want to try to minimize the amount you accumulate. It adds up fast with interest. But everyone has their own opinions.

Last edited:
Just chose where you want to live, practice, and whether or not you want longer summer vacations.
Both schools produce dentists, Nova is cheaper, where do you want to live? Is it important for you to be around your friends and family during school? If so, Nova all the way, and you might save a few dollars which SDN people are apparently using for hair transplants and cool cars.

Thank you all for the help!

Last edited: