Help Needed Finding Medical Schools with Requirements Based on Credit

May 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey! I'm in the latter half of my journey through undergrad with a little less than two years left. After beginning to more thoroughly look through med school requirements, I took notice of how med schools did not have extensive requirements, a detail that I did take notice of earlier but didn't pay particular attention to. A thought came to my mind of whether or not I could apply to and matriculate into med school without necessarily my whole degree having been completed at the time. By the end of the 2020-2021 school year, I'll have done both gen chem 1 & 2, orgo chem 1 & 2, physics 1 & 2, gen bio 1 & 2, microbiology, genetics, human physiology, A & P 1, and a few upper-level bio electives in addition. I've also completed almost all required humanities classes, if not all humanities courses by then. I'll have a few required upper-level bio classes, but they're not required to any med school, to my understanding, in addition to not being included on the MCAT. I'm planning to take 1 or 2 upper-level bio electives in the summer of 2021 in addition to biochem. By then, I'm confident that I'm all good for being prepared for med school. I think it was 3 or 4 bio classes that were left when I last checked, most of them being directed study and other non-lecture based courses.

After doing some research, I found that the University of Virginia School of Medicine, University of Cincinnati School of Medicine, and Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine require at least 90 credits, with some specifying certain courses of which I'll have completed by the spring semester.

If I were to be given a spot for matriculation, I'm strongly considering still going through the remainder of my degree at an appropriate pace, not only because I would have just a few requirements left, but also to avoid any issues that may come up later along the line due to the lack of an undergrad degree in residency or internship. I never know where I'll end up in or what they'll require or if requirements will change, so I think it would be best to go ahead and finish up the rest of my undergrad degree while in med school.

If anyone has any additions to this list, please let me know. Also, if you've had experience or have heard of someone applying to schools without a degree at the time of matriculation, please let me know how it went. Thank you so much in advance! Hope everyone's doing well!

brockhamptonfanacct

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
When you apply with 90 credits, presumably as a junior, you don't matriculate until after you graduate. Everyone finishes their undergraduate degree at their undergraduate institution. An acceptance can happen while you are still in college, not matriculation.

Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
When you apply with 90 credits, presumably as a junior, you don't matriculate until after you graduate. Everyone finishes their undergraduate degree at their undergraduate institution. An acceptance can happen while you are still in college, not matriculation.
Believe it or not, you are wrong!! :cool:

Go to UVA's website and see for yourself (it's usually a good idea to do that before providing advice if you don't have first hand knowledge! :)).

"We strongly prefer a bachelor’s degree."

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself, but there it is.

OP --- It's still a terrible idea, because it will severely limit your list and, as you noted, is sure to create problems for you down the road. If you don't finish your degree while you're still in UG, it will be a lot more difficult to do it later. Why would you rather finish a UG degree in med school as opposed to before?

Also, I'm a little confused on your timing. If you are not applying now, how will you be able to matriculate next year? And, won't you be done by spring 2022? Finally, how likely is it that you would be competitive without a UG degree when the trend is towards people needing at least a year of extra seasoning AFTER they get a degree?

About the Ads

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Every cycle I get this question and every year I say the same thing. The 90 credit rule, which a majority of medical schools still have is a hold over from when there were strong recruiting at / placing from top UG schools, historically the ivies. The students who now utilize path are almost exclusively are BS/MD students. I have not heard of any independent non-BS/MD matriculating matriculating without a bachelors except for a very few superstars recruited directly by a medical school.

Reactions: 1 user

brockhamptonfanacct

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Believe it or not, you are wrong!! :cool:

Go to UVA's website and see for yourself (it's usually a good idea to do that before providing advice if you don't have first hand knowledge! :)).

"We strongly prefer a bachelor’s degree."

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself, but there it is.

OP --- It's still a terrible idea, because it will severely limit your list and, as you noted, is sure to create problems for you down the road. If you don't finish your degree while you're still in UG, it will be a lot more difficult to do it later. Why would you rather finish a UG degree in med school as opposed to before?

Also, I'm a little confused on your timing. If you are not applying now, how will you be able to matriculate next year? And, won't you be done by spring 2022? Finally, how likely is it that you would be competitive without a UG degree when the trend is towards people needing at least a year of extra seasoning AFTER they get a degree?

Genuinely surprised!! Thank you for passing this info along, I would have never guessed!

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads