Help needed on the next course of Action?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_awesome

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm new on this forums so not sure what the rules are about posting. So little thing about me. I am currently working as a Paramedic and decided to go to Med School. No, I did not go to paramedic school to increase my chances. I finally decided to go to Med school because I WENT to paramedic school.

My current predicament is that I am slightly lost on where to go from here. I'm taking BIO I and CHEM I right now at a 4yr University and currently have a AAS in Paramedicine. My GPA is not the most impressive but could definitely be increased if I get mostly A's and B's on my science course. What should I start doing now to increase the chances of me getting accepted? Mind you I work at least 48hours a week, 4 on - 3 off.

Advance thanks to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

First some questions, then we can give an answer:

How long have you been a paramedic? Have you ever worked somewhere that wasn't an ambulance/in the field? What is your GPA?

First some questions, then we can give an answer:

How long have you been a paramedic? Have you ever worked somewhere that wasn't an ambulance/in the field? What is your GPA?

Not long. About 6 months and yes I have worked jobs here and there. My GPA is like I said is on the low end, a 3.25.

Not long. About 6 months and yes I have worked jobs here and there. My GPA is like I said is on the low end, a 3.25.

I meant, have you used your EMT-P outside of an ambulance setting?

I would say that you should try to work in a hospital setting. EMT field work is different from the medical team in other settings. If not, try to get some shadowing experience. I don't like the passivity of shadowing, especially for someone with your level of abilities, but you should have that to get talking points on why you want to be a physician instead of a paramedic. They should be positive and specific talking points. Other than that, get some good community service work in. Long-term community service work is best, something that lasts for 10 months or more is ideal. Sharpen up your GPA, get a good score on the MCAT and you should be fine.

Good luck!