HELP! OBSESSIVELY CHECKING GRADES!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kerenza

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN. I have a problem. After midterm or final exams, I check my grades constantly throughout the day. Even if I know the approximate time the prof will be posting grades. Can anyone relate to this? If so, how did you stop? Serious question!!!! Probably "just don't look at it" won't help :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Make friends, go to the gym, reduce electronics consumption, etc.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

yes i did this

i still do this

a lot of people do this

it wont stop and isn't really a big deal

it takes literally 30 seconds to log in and check a grade

if that significantly impacts your quality of life im not sure what to tell you

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like they should add Compulsive Grade Checking Disorder to the next edition of the DSM when it comes out.

No, seriously you'll be fine. More people do this than you think. Do something you enjoy to distract yourself and it should ease your mind that the amount that most cumulative finals can change your grade will not be the line between success and failure.

It's not a big deal. But learn to be patient because a lot of times in life you have to be :)

I was so bad about that when I took ochem! I logged in constantly and eventually was humiliated when I realized my professor had a little tab that showed how many times I checked in a day! I was at 16 after one exam and got teased about it the rest of the semester.

If you think waiting on grades is bad, try waiting patiently to hear back from your dream school for the post interview decision. A single grade is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Things like med school admissions and residency-match decisions are things you are allowed to freak out over due to how significant those decisions are.

I mean, the grade is going to be the same regardless of whether you see it when it is 2 seconds old or 2 days old. I'd set a couple regularly scheduled times you are allowed to check (maybe like morning, evening). You'll start thinking about it less after you stop looking so often.

I do the same. Welcome to the club. I was probably the first one in my entire class of 500 individuals to receive an email from a professor, or an update regarding an exam.

I used to/still consistently refresh my classes on blackboard until the professor updated the exams, or when GPA calculations were released. I would see it right away.

I turned my cellular data off so I couldn't get on the internet. It's the only thing that worked.

Just get bad grades and then you'll have no problem with wanting to check them! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
yes i did this

i still do this

a lot of people do this

it wont stop and isn't really a big deal

it takes literally 30 seconds to log in and check a grade

if that significantly impacts your quality of life im not sure what to tell you
ditto

Oh man, you're going to have a blast with MCAT results and interview invite e-mails... o_O

Reactions: 3 users
Oh man, you're going to have a blast with MCAT results and interview invite e-mails... o_O
Or the post-interview responses.
I've worn out my F5 key refreshing my gmail.