Help! Old vs new stroke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scarlette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was doing some reading on stroke topic and found this small reminder to find/search about CLINICAL SIGNS to DIFFERENTIATE OLD stroke vs NEW stroke. I've searched through google and ebook but found nothing.

Anyone knows the answer?

Thanks in advance.
-Scarlette

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I was doing some reading on stroke topic and found this small reminder to find/search about CLINICAL SIGNS to DIFFERENTIATE OLD stroke vs NEW stroke. I've searched through google and ebook but found nothing.

Anyone knows the answer?

Thanks in advance.
-Scarlette

History. That's it.

Q waves, Unless you mean a brain stroke.

Members don't see this ad :)
History and imaging studies. Don't ask me for the specifics bc I'm not at that level yet. Call me in 4-5 years and I will def have the answer for you.

Well if you could figure out a reliable way to do this based on clinical symptoms alone you would be rich! People with prior strokes with residual deficits will usually have family who will know their baseline or they themselves will know their baseline. Unfortunately when people say their symptoms are worse it is rarely a new stroke but some sort of either metabolic derangement or infection causing it. Sometimes it is a new stroke though and that's why these patients will usually get neuroimaging. To be able to say this person has a new stroke based on clinical symptoms alone is so far outdated it's malpractice.

Reactions: 1 user