Help on 90 credits requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceng2doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of the medical schools ask applicants to complete at least 90 credits on US soil.

I've a foreign BS degree, although I am a US citizen. The administration of my local university where I've been studying my second-bachelors in Biomedical Sciences have already assured me that all of my international degree courses will be transferred course-by-course into my second-bachelors degree transcript. However, after hearing so many different stories at SDN, to be on the safer side, I'd like to complete at least 90 credits along with those pre-req courses I'm taking/retaking at my local university now.

How about completing another A.S. degree while studying my second-bachelors in Biomedical Sciences at my local university to complete all of those pre-reqs and some high-level science courses? (I could complete 90 credits in my second-bachelors however the school's schedules aren't that flexible for a full-time working software engineer, whereas it's fairly easy to do that to study an AA/AS degree by attending courses during the evenings/weekends)

Question is do I have to transfer those courses that I'll be taking at my new A.S. degree into my second-BS transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The best advice I can give you is to speak with the medical schools you will be applying. It is hard to say as I'm not as familiar with the requirements of each medical school. Retaking it again would be most beneficial to you just in case those foreign courses will not trasnfer. It is good to be on the safe side. I was going to the Philippines to get my BS degree, but decided to stay in the US just in case.

Hope this helps. Sorry for being vague.

~ Jasgop ~

That's for US kids.

A lot of schools will ask for a year or so for foreign kids.

since i am on quarter system, does that mean i have to take 145 units (out of 180) before i apply?

That's for US kids.

A lot of schools will ask for a year or so for foreign kids.
Do you have any solid correspondence with any/many of the medical schools, or is this from your own intuition?