Help on a possible diversity essay angle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justapremedguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thanks in advance for your help! I’m looking for my angle on the diversity related questions, but I’m not sure. Here’s what I see as unique about myself and some thoughts on a potential topic.

• I’m a white, US born male. I know I know, very diverse.

• I’m a practicing orthodox Jew (no, not the long beard and black hat. Modern orthodox, but still orthodox). This is a little more diverse, however we’re well represented in medicine and especially so in the areas I’m applying to. This definitely has/does shape my view on the world and part of how I got to my passion for giving back and medicine. I could write about this giving me an early focus on service and how when I began helping and giving back I fell in love with it and found a whole community of people, religious and not, who are driven to the same goals as me.

• I’m the child of a US military member. I moved to several states and a European country as a child. Sometimes urban areas, sometimes rural areas. This got me more out of the “bubble” that most people in my orthodox community have found themselves in and has given me a more open perspective. So I could write about this. Or combine it with the religion part to say that I come from a religious community and understand the importance of religion to the religious but have also been exposed to a range of other communities to really have a broadened perspective.

• I can’t think of any unique hobbies or traits more than other premeds. My main hobby (listed on AMCAS) is music. I play guitar, took music theory electives and do some composing. But I haven’t composed enough to make it a part of me enough to make it an angle like this on a secondary.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Even if none of these are good options that would be good to hear. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am part Jewish (by ethnicity, not religious) if i were you i would write about your unique experience - on the one hand, you are part of a traditional ethnic group that faced a lot of struggles, and you can talk about how that shaped you, but on the other hand, travelling all over made you realize that, no matter how horrific the struggle of jewish ppl was, they are not unique, and human suffering does not have a specific nationality.

just an idea.

I am part Jewish (by ethnicity, not religious) if i were you i would write about your unique experience - on the one hand, you are part of a traditional ethnic group that faced a lot of struggles, and you can talk about how that shaped you, but on the other hand, travelling all over made you realize that, no matter how horrific the struggle of jewish ppl was, they are not unique, and human suffering does not have a specific nationality.

just an idea.
It’s a cool idea for an essay, but I feel that it wouldnt be enough about me or the diversity/experiences that I personally bring to a school

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a cool idea for an essay, but I feel that it wouldnt be enough about me or the diversity/experiences that I personally bring to a school
well, at the end of the day, no one knows you better than you, you know?
What i would recommend is just turn a timer on 2 min and talk about yourself out loud - in those minutes talk about things that you think makes you different from others your know. I found that it was a useful exercise for me to sort of let my mind go.

Another way you can decide what to write - think of ONE THING that the adcom need to absolutely know about you. Like, if they dont know it, they would not be able to come to the right conclusion.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's what I see:
Someone who is a member of a relgious minority that is not under-represented in medicine but a member of a minority group nonetheless
As the child of a member of the US military, you are in a minority these days, most Americans do not have any immediate family members in service
You have lived abroad which is not a common experience among Americans in general

I mean no disrepect but what is it like to be a Jewish Army brat living in a foreign country? I think that your story will be unique among applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Here's what I see:
Someone who is a member of a relgious minority that is not under-represented in medicine but a member of a minority group nonetheless
As the child of a member of the US military, you are in a minority these days, most Americans do not have any immediate family members in service
You have lived abroad which is not a common experience among Americans in general

I mean no disrepect but what is it like to be a Jewish Army brat living in a foreign country? I think that your story will be unique among applicants.
No disrespect taken! I lived in a VERY rural area in the country I was in. There were almost no other Jews around so my Jewish education was a mix of homeschool and a Sunday school a while away and my school during the week was a public catholic school (no separation of church and state). Definitely an interesting and unique experience. It was an adjustment coming back to the US and attending a Jewish private school which was something none of my peers really understood.

I’m considering approaching this almost purely from the service side. Being a military brat instilling a sense of service and giving back since early childhood.While this is absolutely true, I honestly think my religion drove me more towards the service but I’m hesitant to talk about it in secondaries. I’m proud of it and it’s a major part of me, but as sensitively as I’d obviously write it I’m concerned of admissions committee members either with an anti-religious bias or who think I’m talking down to others (which I won’t because I don’t believe in doing so). Am I being overly neurotic about this? Should I include the religious part?

No disrespect taken! I lived in a VERY rural area in the country I was in. There were almost no other Jews around so my Jewish education was a mix of homeschool and a Sunday school a while away and my school during the week was a public catholic school (no separation of church and state). Definitely an interesting and unique experience. It was an adjustment coming back to the US and attending a Jewish private school which was something none of my peers really understood.

I’m considering approaching this almost purely from the service side. Being a military brat instilling a sense of service and giving back since early childhood.While this is absolutely true, I honestly think my religion drove me more towards the service but I’m hesitant to talk about it in secondaries. I’m proud of it and it’s a major part of me, but as sensitively as I’d obviously write it I’m concerned of admissions committee members either with an anti-religious bias or who think I’m talking down to others (which I won’t because I don’t believe in doing so). Am I being overly neurotic about this? Should I include the religious part?

Being an Army brat is something that will add diversity even if you leave out the rest. You could go with the concept of "repairing the world" as part of your upbringing and your view of service to others. Some will get the reference, some won't and it is unlikely that any will take offense.

Reactions: 1 user
Being an Army brat is something that will add diversity even if you leave out the rest. You could go with the concept of "repairing the world" as part of your upbringing and your view of service to others. Some will get the reference, some won't and it is unlikely that any will take offense.
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you so much!!