help on Columbia housing!!I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sissi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to the biostatistics master program at Columbia and I'm applying to CUMC housing. wasn't able to attend the accepted student day 'coz i'm international and I just received the housing package today. the description on the brochure is far from enough! I'm looking into Bard Hall, Georgian residence and the Towers and got several questions, wonder if anyone can help me out.

1. Bard hall, a 11-story building only has 2 community kitchens,hard to believe? or does it have 1 kitchen on each floor? and there is the price range from $668-779 with no further explanation, higher the floor, higher the price?

2. Bard-Haven, electricity is not included in the rent. what is the average monthly cost on electricity then?

between Georgian and bard hall, which one would you guys recommend? and how about the atmosphere of these 3 accommodations? any information is appreciated, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the accepted students day and am also applying for CUMC housing. Bard Hall does only have 1 or 2 community kitchens but from what I have heard, not very many people use it or there is usually no problems with the shared space. I got a chance to see a single room at Bard. It was of okay size. The whole feel of Bard was dorm-like due to the shared-spaces i.e. lots of single rooms off of a main hallway, shared bathrooms, shower-rooms, and common spaces, etc. My tour guide said she like the fact that here neighbor could be anyone from a med school student to a fellow grad student.

I think price varies based on the kind of room you get i.e. larger square-footage means higher cost.

I did not get to see a Georgian residence room, nor can I account for the average cost of electricity. I personally am hoping for Georgian housing since Bard Hall is not really my style of living.

Hope others can clarify your other questions.

thanks a lot, that's very helpful!still a bit confused about the community kitchen part 'coz i've never lived in a dorm-like accommodation before. how are we supposed to share fridges? and cookwares?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to the biostatistics master program at Columbia and I'm applying to CUMC housing. wasn't able to attend the accepted student day 'coz i'm international and I just received the housing package today. the description on the brochure is far from enough! I'm looking into Bard Hall, Georgian residence and the Towers and got several questions, wonder if anyone can help me out.

1. Bard hall, a 11-story building only has 2 community kitchens,hard to believe? or does it have 1 kitchen on each floor? and there is the price range from $668-779 with no further explanation, higher the floor, higher the price?

2. Bard-Haven, electricity is not included in the rent. what is the average monthly cost on electricity then?

between Georgian and bard hall, which one would you guys recommend? and how about the atmosphere of these 3 accommodations? any information is appreciated, thanks!!

Hi Sissi,

I am also going to Columbia (SMS Dept). I saw the Bard Hall rooms and agree with the last post, they are very dorm-like.

I heard that Georgian Hall is nice and more of an apartment-feel.

Apparently the Bard-Haven Towers are the most popular place to reside, according to my student tour guide that day. My tour guide also talked about how it's nice to live with med students and others in the medical school.

I'm hoping to live off-campus, but applied for housing as an additional option.

Where are you living abroad? At least you'll be in catagory 1 for housing!

Hi, i quite like Towers but guess it should be hard to get in! and what a coincidence, i was browsing the forum and saw your previous post about choosing between brown and columbia. I was actually gonna post the same thing! I got accepted to both columbia and brown, and brown offered partial tuition waiver but no funding from columbia. i was struggling but kinda decided on Columbia.

btw, i'm indeed in category 1 but still worried if i can get on-campus housing, i still haven't mailed out the application!! :)

Hi Sissi,

I am also going to Columbia (SMS Dept). I saw the Bard Hall rooms and agree with the last post, they are very dorm-like.

I heard that Georgian Hall is nice and more of an apartment-feel.

Apparently the Bard-Haven Towers are the most popular place to reside, according to my student tour guide that day. My tour guide also talked about how it's nice to live with med students and others in the medical school.

I'm hoping to live off-campus, but applied for housing as an additional option.

Where are you living abroad? At least you'll be in catagory 1 for housing!

If I recall correctly, you can have mini-fridges in your room. I am not sure about cookwares, though.

Hi, i quite like Towers but guess it should be hard to get in! and what a coincidence, i was browsing the forum and saw your previous post about choosing between brown and columbia. I was actually gonna post the same thing! I got accepted to both columbia and brown, and brown offered partial tuition waiver but no funding from columbia. i was struggling but kinda decided on Columbia.

btw, i'm indeed in category 1 but still worried if i can get on-campus housing, i still haven't mailed out the application!! :)

Sissi-

Yes, I was having a hard time deciding b/t columbia and brown. Brown did offer me partial tuition and it was difficult to turn down such a wonderful school. However, columbia is amazing too and the program is much stronger considering my interests in sexual health and research. I'm thrilled with my decision to attend there and everyday I'm even more convinced that I made the right choice. (I was also offered a partial scholarship about 1 week after I accepted) :D

I agree, the Towers look nice and they were my first choice for apt style housing. I believe Georgian was my first choice for dorm-style housing... I think you know what I mean if you have the housing application :) My suggestion would be to get the application to them ASAP. My student tour guide said housing is VERY competitive and to fill them out as soon as you get them and then overnight them back to the school. You do have an advantage because you are catagory 1, but I would send them out ASAP :D if anything to have a good chance for the best housing available. I did not like the Bard-Hall dorm. I'm used to living in apartments and houses, so the dorm-style life isn't for me.

Good luck sissi!

thahks, :) i just called the housing office asking about the kitchen in bard hall and was told mini fridge is allowed in rooms.

If I recall correctly, you can have mini-fridges in your room. I am not sure about cookwares, though.