help on complex topic dealing with med school admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi med students, I would appreciate your comments and advice concerning my matter. I wanted to know whether adcoms will cut me some slack on my overall amcas 3.4 gpa, since I am applying as a disadvantaged student. I had to work 45+ hrs during my first 2 yrs of undergrad since I went to a private college, but after ending up with a 3.2 gpa there, I decided that I couldn't work that many hours and be a successful premed at the same time. So, I transferred to a state university, where I did my last two yrs of undergrad. Since I didn't work that much for those two yrs at the state univ., my gpa there was a 3.8. So, for my four years, the combined gpa from both schools is a 3.4 overall amcas gpa. Could you tell me whether the adcoms would see the 3.4 gpa as a much higher gpa than 3.4, since I could have gotten a better gpa in the private school if I didn't have to work that much. They will definitely see is that I got a 3.8 gpa in a much more difficult university than the private college, so if I can do well there, I could've done real well at the private college. Thanks for your help, I am asking this very important question since I am deciding whether or not I should take summer classes to boost my overall amcas gpa up to a respectable 3.5. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Not very complex at all. People have been accepted to medical school with GPAs lower than 3.4.

I think that they would certainly take this into consideration - definitely explain it on your application essay. Aside from the work thing, the overall grade trend is definitely in your favor. They like to see improvement. A strong MCAT will really make the case that you are a strong student that has had difficult circumstances in the past.

Of course, it can't hurt to hedge your bets and apply to many schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the disadvantaged status. Do you think I qualify just because my parents couldn't pay for my college tution. Thanks.

No, not necessarily. My parents couldn't afford paying my tuition because they were both retired when I was in college. But, I am far from disadvantaged as I earn more money now than either of my parents ever did in their working lifetimes. I think few people could reasonably afford tuition at some private colleges ($30,000+ per year).

However, the disadvtanged status is just a simple question on the AMCAS application to which you answer yes or no. Unfortunately, the 2002 AMCAS application is not working right now but I will check to see the exact wording of the question once it is up and running -- or you will find out yourself once the 2003 AMCAS application is on-line on May 1 (God willing). Once you read the question then it is up to you to decide. Schools will then determine what to make of your disadvantaged status. Although I've never heard of it not being beneficial to declare disadvantaged status, I would not put it past admissions committees from rejecting a student that declared disadvatanged but was obviously not so from information inferred off of the application.

It is something personal for you to decide. If you feel that you were disadvantaged in your educational pursuits then you probably were and should declare it on your application.

basha, I replied to your a Private Message.

For everyone, here are the disadvantaged questions from last year's AMCAS application:

Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools which may consider such factors (social, economic or educational)? Answering "Yes" to this question will prompt additional questions.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

In what area did you spend the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?

Do you believe that this area was medically under-served?

Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs?

What was the income level of your family during the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?

Did you have paid employment prior to age eighteen?

Were you required to contribute to the overall family income (as opposed to working primarily for your own discretionary spending money)?

How many people lived in your primary household during the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?

How have you paid or did you pay for your post-secondary education? For each of the applicable options below, indicate the average percentage contribution towards your post-secondary education. The percentages entered should equal 100%:
academic scholarship
student loan
family contribution
financial need-based scholarship
other loan
applicant contribution
other

Do you believe that you have faced any hardships from birth to the present that interfered with your educational pursuits? If yes, briefly explain in the area provided below. The space available for your explanation is 1325 characters, or approximately ? page.: