Help on Math Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creative8401

Im Anush Hayastan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Anyone with good trig skills, will you please help me on this problem. It's either so simple i cant see it, or something wrong with their answer:

Problem:
Cos ([Pi]+[301Pi/2])

Their Explanation:
Cos ([Pi]+[75*2Pi]+[Pi/2]) = Cos ([Pi]+[Pi/2]) = 0

I don't know what happened to [75*2Pi], and Cos([Pi]) = -1 & Cos ([Pi/2]) = 0, so -1+0 doesn't give me 0 either. If you could shed some light, much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody. Anyone with good trig skills, will you please help me on this problem. It's either so simple i cant see it, or something wrong with their answer:

Problem:
Cos ([Pi]+[301Pi/2])

Their Explanation:

I don't know what happened to [75*2Pi], and Cos([Pi]) = -1 & Cos ([Pi/2]) = 0, so -1+0 doesn't give me 0 either. If you could shed some light, much appreciated.

ok
so
cos (2 Pi) is a full loop
so cos (150Pi) is 75 loops and also has 0 effect on the answer, whats left?
cos ( pi + 301Pi/2)= cos(150Pi+3Pi/2) as I said 75 loops has no influence on answer so all that is left is cos(1.5Pi) which is equal to 0
I know I did not answer 100% clearly but I hope you get it.
cos 2Pi is 0
so is cos 150Pi as is any cos (nPi) where n is divisible by 2.

doc3232 explained it correctly:

cos(Pi + 301Pi/2) is equivalent to cos(150Pi + 3Pi/2)

since 2Pi is just 360 degrees, it doesn't affect the answer, therefore:
150Pi/2Pi = 75.
that is 75 "loops" or, 75 three sixty degree spins. so now you can drop that term completely out of the problem, and you have:

cos(3Pi/2)
which is just 1.5Pi, which is equivalent to 270 degrees, or, pointing straight down south. and when you're pointing down south, cos = 0.

but I got another problem for you.

Sec^2 (A) + Tan^2 (A-3) = 0

apparently the answer is (pi/4) but I'm not 100% sure of that cuz it don't make any sense!!! I've been lookin at this problem and trying to figure it out for a month now. still can't get it...

I just attempted it again and got stuck here:

1 = tan^2 (A-(Pi/60)) - tan^2 (A)
1 = tan (A) [tan (1-(Pi/60A)) - tan (Pi/180)]

I don't know if anything I'm doing is correct by the way. I'm not even sure if I can convert that "A-3" into radians from the beginning...

Problem:
Cos ([Pi]+[301Pi/2])

Their Explanation:

Cos (п + 301 п/2 ) = cos (п + ( 300 п/2 + п/2))
= cos (п + ( 150 п + п/2))
= cos (п + п/2) ( we can ignore 150 п)
= cos ( 3 п/2)
If you draw a circle , cos ( 3 п/2) is ¾ of the circle , and then cos ( 3 п/2 = 0 .
Hope this help.