Help on mcat improvements! Thoughts on study materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heytheree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m studying for the MCAT now and I plan to take it on June 1st. I’m a retaker and didn’t do good on the first one at all. I work during the week so I can devote 3-4 hours M-F depending on how long my shift is and I’m free on the weekends to take practice tests and review. I’m pretty much done with content review so I want to focus on practice now.

Materials I have:

Princeton review science workbook and CARS workbook

EK 1001 (deciding if I should do physics and gen chem or the 30 min exams in books)

Next step 10 exam pack with q bank (has about 70 q banks)

AAMC materials (section bank, qbanks, FL3) - I already took the other 3 last year when I was trying to prepare so I’m not sure if it’ll be beneficial to take again.

This is my last Next Step FL 2 score I took last week to give you an idea of where I am.

C/P: 121

CARS: 124

Bio: 125

Psych: 127

Total: 497

I would like advice on what materials to use (not sure I have time to do all) and when and also how to improve in the next 2 months(especially C/P) and any advice would be helpful. I got a 492 on the last one so I would like at least above a 505 on the one in June. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know you said you've finished reviewing material... but how comfortable do you REALLY feel with it? Overall your score seems low in the 3 main sections. If I dropped a physics or gen chem question. Would you be able to answer it? Practicing exams without a foundation would not be beneficial...

I do recommend taking a lot of practice exams though (15+). I do like how you are using NS exams because I feel they are the hardest ones and will get you into shape. With that said, if you score a 497 on NS which is harder, that DOES NOT mean it will translate to a 505+ on the actual MCAT.

I kind of want to drop some questions to see if you really know the material but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Just keep taking practice tests.

Review them as thoroughly as possible and make sure that you review the content you are weak on. You know those sections where you answer all of the questions but still don't really know what they were asking? Yea those!

Do that over, and over, and over, and your score should go up.

Reactions: 2 users
How did you study for the first exam? That’s the main question. Address the problem before we address the solution.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you said you've finished reviewing material... but how comfortable do you REALLY feel with it? Overall your score seems low in the 3 main sections. If I dropped a physics or gen chem question. Would you be able to answer it? Practicing exams without a foundation would not be beneficial...

I do recommend taking a lot of practice exams though (15+). I do like how you are using NS exams because I feel they are the hardest ones and will get you into shape. With that said, if you score a 497 on NS which is harder, that DOES NOT mean it will translate to a 505+ on the actual MCAT.

I kind of want to drop some questions to see if you really know the material but I'm not sure if that's allowed.
Honestly, not that comfortable. They were always the classes I struggled with more in college. It seems simple enough when I read it but harder during the practice exams like I forget how to do certain things. How would you recommend developing a better foundation?

Just keep taking practice tests.

Review them as thoroughly as possible and make sure that you review the content you are weak on. You know those sections where you answer all of the questions but still don't really know what they were asking? Yea those!

Do that over, and over, and over, and your score should go up.
Okay thanks!! Do you recommend any specific books or exams use for practice?

Okay thanks!! Do you recommend any specific books or exams use for practice?

I used the ExamKrackers box set for my physical books and Khan Academy videos/question banks for accessory review.

For practice tests I used 2 NextStep exams, 2 AAMC Exams, 1 EK Exam, 1 Gold Standard Exam & 1 TPR Exam.

I found the AAMC and NextStep exams to be the most helpful in terms of question feedback for missed answers. One advantage to Gold Standard was that they let you take practice tests by individual section if that fits your study style.

Disclaimer: My MCAT score wouldn't wow anyone, but it got me into school this year!

I really just read through Kaplan once and took a couple practice exams.
I would definitely focus on material that you're weak in and read it and review multiple times until you could teach it to someone with recall. Also most matriculates took about 6+ MCAT exams so take more and spend a week reviewing the questions and any subjects that you were weak on before attempting the next practice exam.

I used the ExamKrackers box set for my physical books and Khan Academy videos/question banks for accessory review.

For practice tests I used 2 NextStep exams, 2 AAMC Exams, 1 EK Exam, 1 Gold Standard Exam & 1 TPR Exam.

I found the AAMC and NextStep exams to be the most helpful in terms of question feedback for missed answers. One advantage to Gold Standard was that they let you take practice tests by individual section if that fits your study style.

Disclaimer: My MCAT score wouldn't wow anyone, but it got me into school this year!
Okay thank you! I’ll use KA also. Would you say it’s not worth retaking the AAMC exams if I already have before?

Lots of people gave advice on doing practice tests. I would not recommend this with a 121 CP score at all. I would say stop doing practice tests completely until after you get a good grasp of the CP section.

Your posting mentions NO content review books or resources. Use wiki, KA if you're a online/video person. Your other options are Kaplan, TPR, NS, EK, TBR for books that you can pick up which have varying styles/philosophies. Just run through the KA MC questions that go along with their MCAT videos as well to start drilling some CP concepts with questions and some questions of the day from different websites. You can also pick up books that have MC questions (EK 1001 that you have...do every third question and more if you're getting many in that particular section wrong). Do this FIRST and then transition into practicing a few passages (which can be with FLs or in a targeted way for CP - Khan academy passages, TBR books, Ek 101 books, EK 30 minute passages (which you have), Uworld are all options. NS FLs which you have do a good job varying CP and showing you different concepts in different FLs. Every time you get a question wrong - make sure to go back and revisit the concept and document WHY you got the question wrong, and why your wrong answer is wrong and why the right answer is right.
I didn’t mention it but I used the Kaplan books for content review. And you’re right, my content knowledge in that section is very weak. My exam date is June 1st(hopefully because I’m trying to apply this upcoming cycle) so I was planning to take a practice test every week so I could take up to 10...I can put practice exams on hold until I feel more confident in the sections but I don’t feel like I have a lot of time left to do everything. I’ve been kinda confused on how to set up my study plan. Would you say more of QA videos and questions, EK 1001 and then passages would be a more efficient way of studying even if that means less FL exams ?

I would definitely focus on material that you're weak in and read it and review multiple times until you could teach it to someone with recall. Also most matriculates took about 6+ MCAT exams so take more and spend a week reviewing the questions and any subjects that you were weak on before attempting the next practice exam.
Okay thank you!

For C/P its relatively easy to get to a decent score that would be a 4 point jump for you. Learn the physics and chem. LEARN how to solve the chem and physics problems, most are straiht foreward and require physics or chem formulas or basic knowledge. Start the AAMC physics and chem section banks and learn the problems until you can score 100%.

Study schedules differ for everyone. For me, I attempted the one exam per week but it didn't turn out well for me. Instead, I review and did passages. 1 month prior my exam, I took 2-3 full length exams per week. I.e. Monday take a test, Tuesday review it, Wednesday take a test, thursday review, friday review if necessary, saturday take a test, sunday review. IT sucked! But it got me into shape quickly and my endurance was built up perfectly prior the exam. I also took 2-3 days off before the big day.

In the beginning you can practice with 1 or 2 passages to set a strong foundation. When you get closer to your exam day, you should either be taking practice questions by sections or by full length so your stamina is always up. If you get stuck on any questions or concept, don't be afraid to post on the mcat section or DM me directly. Would be more than willing to help answer questions you get stuck on! =]

Study schedules differ for everyone. For me, I attempted the one exam per week but it didn't turn out well for me. Instead, I review and did passages. 1 month prior my exam, I took 2-3 full length exams per week. I.e. Monday take a test, Tuesday review it, Wednesday take a test, thursday review, friday review if necessary, saturday take a test, sunday review. IT sucked! But it got me into shape quickly and my endurance was built up perfectly prior the exam. I also took 2-3 days off before the big day.

In the beginning you can practice with 1 or 2 passages to set a strong foundation. When you get closer to your exam day, you should either be taking practice questions by sections or by full length so your stamina is always up. If you get stuck on any questions or concept, don't be afraid to post on the mcat section or DM me directly. Would be more than willing to help answer questions you get stuck on! =]
Thank you!!! People are so mean on here but you’re so nice lol I appreciate it! I’ll def take that into consideration

Hi guys, I’m studying for the MCAT now and I plan to take it on June 1st. I’m a retaker and didn’t do good on the first one at all. I work during the week so I can devote 3-4 hours M-F depending on how long my shift is and I’m free on the weekends to take practice tests and review. I’m pretty much done with content review so I want to focus on practice now.

Materials I have:

Princeton review science workbook and CARS workbook

EK 1001 (deciding if I should do physics and gen chem or the 30 min exams in books)

Next step 10 exam pack with q bank (has about 70 q banks)

AAMC materials (section bank, qbanks, FL3) - I already took the other 3 last year when I was trying to prepare so I’m not sure if it’ll be beneficial to take again.

This is my last Next Step FL 2 score I took last week to give you an idea of where I am.

C/P: 121

CARS: 124

Bio: 125

Psych: 127

Total: 497

I would like advice on what materials to use (not sure I have time to do all) and when and also how to improve in the next 2 months(especially C/P) and any advice would be helpful. I got a 492 on the last one so I would like at least above a 505 on the one in June. Thanks!!

Hello,

I have been thinking about CARS specifically and what I think needs to be known is what level of vocabulary is needed and what builder to use. I can usually get around with the context but that doesn't seem to work for the practice on the aamc website. Some speed reading tips might help to get these passages done. As you can tell reading is my short fall than other things that might be on the test. I am thinking perception and short term memory are valuable questions to be considered.

Last edited:
I went from a 50th percentile to 97th percentile on the MCAT so don’t lose hope! I would recommend getting your foundational sciences down pat. I personally used a hybrid set of books: full Kaplan set, EK biology, Princeton Review for psychology. Kaplan and Princeton offer free full lengths.

Biggest piece of advice: use your practice tests as learning materials. Actively mark questions that stump you or make you think “hmm I should review that” and of course ones you miss. Go back and figure out what you did wrong or what information you didn’t remember. I took 5-6 practice tests under test day conditions. I would recommend not overdoing it.

The AAMC fill lengths are fantastic test day simulations (my practice scores were 1 or 2 pts off my actual). Be careful how you use them. Maybe one in the middle of your studies and a couple at the end. Find a quiet place and time yourself strictly.

For CARS: practice, practice, practice. Time yourself doing single passages. I think EK has a practice book worth checking out. Best of luck!