help - only applying to nycom, need to get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.Pearlman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice that I can
really use rite about now. I am interested in Osteopathic Medicine and since I live near NYCOM,
I am really focused on getting in there, in fact it might be the only school i apply to. Reasons for that are circumstances in the family that require me to stay home and care for some people. If I dont get into nycom this time, the
only option left is applying there again next yr. I could apply to a few
other schools around long island but it would be too much of a commute (>
1hr, compared to 10 minutes for NYCOM). So far i love nycom, but with my
stats (3.4 cum gpa, 3.4 science, 30 mcat)im not sure if i have such a sure
shot of getting in. Can anyone tell me some way that I can have a better
shot. Should I speak to the adcoms about it before I apply there, is this a
good idea ?
Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good shot, your grades are fine. Speak with Michael Schaefer, the Director of Admissions about your locality and interest. NYCOM takes many from the surrounding area. I would make sure you have a letter of rec from a DO, preferably from a NYCOM grad. Apply early this summer and good luck.

do u guys know if a recom letter from a current 4th yr student from NYCOM is better than an actual DO physician. Does it matter?
and what if the student gives a better recom?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious? The answer is no. Get a letter from a attending physician, preferably a NYCOM graduate. I could write you the best letter of all time but it won't mean squat.

Thats not exactly true. Letters from current NYCOM students are definitely taken ito consideration. If its a good letter than I would definitely send it in. It can only help. That being said, however, the best recommendation to have is from a DO that is out practicing. A letter from someone with long term experience in th eprofession shows that you've tried to find out about what its like to be an Osteopathic physician. The letter does not have to be from a NYCOM graduate.
Good things to have placed in your letter:
1. If you've had a chance to shadow them (a plus but not a must. Its ok if you've only sat down with them for an hour or so and really talked to them about the profession, as long as you can show that you've learned something.)
2. Some reference to your enthusiam about becoming a D.O. and not just a physician.
3. that the DO believes that you would be a good addition to the profession.
4. Whether they are a NYCOM grad or not, that you seem to have a lot of knowledge about NYCOM and seem excited to maybe have the opportunity to go there. A lot has changed at NYCOM in recent years and if you can educate them about NYCOM's transition into the new millenium, it definitely looks impressive.
5. And finally, you'll probably want to give the DO a copy of your resume, transcripts, MCAT scores, maybe your med school admission essay, and a brief write up on any extra-cirriculars, awards, honors, if you've traveled, your hobbies,or anything else that is special that you have done. If they can personalize the letter to you, it would definitely look better.

oh, and J., your stats look great. My incoming year, the mean stats were 3.3 GPA and 25 MCAT.

Good luck.

P.S. I'm not sure whether its a good idea to include in your reasons for coming that you have to take care of relatives or not. If you do, be prepared to prove that you can handle doing both.
And if you do get in, you may want to do the extended track. It allows you to spread out the first two years into three. Many students with children and special circumstances like yours chose this route. It definitely makes a difference.

thanks a lot nycomscrubs, im really glad u helped. im probably gonna see u there in a yr- if i get in that is, and i'll have many more questions by then too.