Help out a noob? :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasenClaisen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've finished up my sophomore year of college and I've recently had the idea that I might be interested in dentistry as a career. The only problem is I'm not sure where to start and how I should prepare.

I've lurked this forum a bit an what I've found is that I should shadow a dentist and take the DAT.

My current stats are as follows:

Biochemistry major with 3.9+ science and non-science GPA (I've taken biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics courses as they're required for my major).

I'm thinking about taking a year off after graduation.

Could you guys please tell me what other courses I should take my junior and senior years and what activities I should do other than shadowing?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

You should do any activity that interests you that involves your hands. Piano, painting, woodwork, anything. As far as classes are concerned, you have the sciences covered. I know that the schools that I am interested in mention that in addition to science courses, it is important to take classes that increase your social awareness (psychology, sociology, etc.). Also, volunteering somewhere that you care about. If you volunteer for the sake of volunteering, the interviewer can sense whether you did it out of necessity or out of love.

Hi everyone,

I've finished up my sophomore year of college and I've recently had the idea that I might be interested in dentistry as a career. The only problem is I'm not sure where to start and how I should prepare.

I've lurked this forum a bit an what I've found is that I should shadow a dentist and take the DAT.

My current stats are as follows:

Biochemistry major with 3.9+ science and non-science GPA (I've taken biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics courses as they're required for my major).

I'm thinking about taking a year off after graduation.

Could you guys please tell me what other courses I should take my junior and senior years and what activities I should do other than shadowing?

Thank you very much!

You should take the big five if you can: Histology, Physiology, Human Anatomy w/lab, Microbiology, and Biochemistry. Dental schools prefer them, some require them, but they will all help you transition into dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help! Bump! Any more advice would be appreciated!

I am guessing since you are a biochemistry major, you've taken most of the standard pre-reqs (100-level biologies, general chemistries, organics and thier labs).....

Pretty much all USA dental schools require physics 1 and 2 (along with labs).... they DOES NOT have to be calculus based physics. Contact your pre-med/pre-dental adviser so you can get the correct physics course codes.... You don't wanna take a physics course that doesn't satisfy the pre-dent requirement

Also, many pre-dents take a few upper level sciences, most of them are NOT required but highly recommended by various dental schools... These include: Microbiology, Histology, Physiology, Immunology, Anatomy, etc etc.

With a 3.9-ish GPA, your not gonna have a hard time getting in