sharpiee

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
I'm a normal girl from the city.. and I honestly can't find much about myself or my life to write a decent personal statement.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what they wrote about or ideas about what I can write about?

This must be the hardest part of the application process. :confused:

naseuy

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2007
Status
I'm a normal girl from the city.. and I honestly can't find much about myself or my life to write a decent personal statement.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on what they wrote about or ideas about what I can write about?

I didn't really have anything to say either. I basically just wrote about the process that led to me choosing Pharmacy.

AbsoluteEthanol

PHARMACY STUD
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2008
Southern California
Status
Pharmacy Student
i think most applicants are in your boat, after all, extraordinary individuals are just that -- extraordinary and are few inbetween!

i think what you should focus on is either, an experience or journey that made you fall in love with the profession or why you want to become a pharmacist.

Achilleus

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Houston
Status
Pharmacy Student
i think most applicants are in your boat, after all, extraordinary individuals are just that -- extraordinary and are few inbetween!

i think what you should focus on is either, an experience or journey that made you fall in love with the profession or why you want to become a pharmacist.
I think it depends on your definition of extraordinary. I think everyone's life has a sprinkle of amazement to it.. whether it seems that way to you, or me, or someone else =)

I'll PM you sharpiee with some ideas =)

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacist
What is your passion? Why do you want to be a pharmacist? What future do you see for pharmacy, and how do you fit in to it? A personal statement can go anywhere you lead it - there is no right or wrong answer. There are however, strong and weak ones. Write about something that inspires you...

If you are still stumped - make an appointment at your school's writing center. They might be able to give you some ground level help...

~above~

jiiniix2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2008
stuck in baltimore forever =)
Status
Pharmacy Student
It took me awhile to write mine because I read ps where people, you know, traveled to Mars and managed to isolate some special bacteria that can cure everything ;)

Anyway, I consider myself to be pretty normal so for my personal statement I wrote about why I chose pharmacy and how certain aspects of my life led me to where I am and how pharmacy fits me personally. It sort of worked because I managed to get an interview.

jyw003

just moving along.....PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, APP
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2007
San Francisco
Status
Pharmacist
write about something you are dedicated to.

i wrote about a hobby, something dear to my heart since i was young...i kept it going through high school and even college...

then i integrated this idea into becoming a good pharmacist =]

hope this helps.

Idesiretosling

10+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Explain your definition of success/happiness and explain how a career in pharmacy is going to enrich your life and allow you enrich the lives of your community. What is it about this profession among all the other health care professions that you think is such a perfect fit for you? How are you going to advance the profession?

Good luck, just start typing away and see what kind of ideas pour out.

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2007
!!!!!
Status
Pharmacist

Last year I wrote about my immigration experience to US and how it took me a while to find a path I wanted to follow. I thought my PS was good until I've read some of the other ones and realized my sucked. Whatever you do, make sure your PS is good, especially the beginning.

tharper14

P1.5
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
Status
Pharmacy Student
UT specifically asks "why pharmacy" and "why UT" so you're not given much choice. I don't think your PS needs to be unique, just make sure it's well-written. Have some people you trust proof-read your draft and give suggestions on how to improve it. I think the important thing is to highlight (1) your extraordinary essay writing skills and (2) your passion for pharmacy. If you can make it entertaining, that might be a plus too :D

shehsheh

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
My personal statement included a few lines of WHY i picked the path to pharmacy, and the rest of my PS was about WHAT I DID to prepare myself for pharmacy (e.g. education, work, extracurricular, etc).

Hope that helped.

Garfield3d

An Orange Cat
10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This may sound really circular, but remember that a personal statement is supposed to be personal. It has to sound personal. It has to sound sincere. It's supposed to provide insight into the applicant that can't be articulated through their credentials and objectively/quantitatively measured abilities

It takes a bit of writing and rewriting to really get down a good personal statement. Don't try to stretch it too much. Don't embellish facts or overreach. While you're trying to impress, you also want to sound sincere. If you have to err on one side or another, I would say sacrifice sophistication in favor of sincerity when writing your personal statement.

As for me, I found it helpful to write a mini-biography about my life. It was pretty informal, and it helped loosen me up a lot in terms of writing my personal statements. It also gave me something to give to my professors that didn't just sound like a hackneyed "I want to help people and pharmacy is important today!"

--Garfield3d

amartins02

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
Pharmacy Student
Just be sincere and talk about what you want to do with your degree. I mean don't say that you want to donate 80% of your salary to the poor but just be realistic. Having a succinct PS also helps because it shows alot of thought and meaning jammed into only a few words.

dnguyen1969

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Is it a good idea to change the style of writing toward sophistication or stay with in your own words type of writing? The reason I ask is a few of my friends keep saying that I write just like the way I talk. I am not sure if that is good or bad?

Utterdevotion

Hopeful future pharmacist
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Maryland
Status
Pharmacy Student
Is it a good idea to change the style of writing toward sophistication or stay with in your own words type of writing? The reason I ask is a few of my friends keep saying that I write just like the way I talk. I am not sure if that is good or bad?
Simple is always better, but don't make it too informal. If you would like me to take a look at your PS, just PM me.