HELP! Pitt or USC? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireblast713

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently was accepted to USC, I already placed a deposit down for Pitt, Dec 1st. I'm from CA so USC is in state for me Pitt would move me a substantial distance away.

Here's my dilemma, my parents really want me to stay in CA, and I do also to some extent, however USC really only has the instate going for it (I'm not a huge college football fan so I'm not really counting their team), from what I've read a lot of people are unhappy with the 100% PBL, low 4 year graduation rate, the cost is ~450k for 4 years which is 100K+ more expensive then Pitt. The disadvantage of Pitt is that it's far away, the move would be substantial, and weather would be worse, and I would have to be re certified to practice for CA upon graduation (if I wanted to move back to CA, which I probably would).

Anyways I was wondering if I could get some unbiased opinions of the schools from people who are actually students there. If I've gotten any of the negatives/positives about the school wrong, please don't take offense as this is just from what I've heard and feel free to correct me.

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently was accepted to USC, I already placed a deposit down for Pitt, Dec 1st. I'm from CA so USC is in state for me Pitt would move me a substantial distance away.

Here's my dilemma, my parents really want me to stay in CA, and I do also to some extent, however USC really only has the instate going for it (I'm not a huge college football fan so I'm not really counting their team), from what I've read a lot of people are unhappy with the 100% PBL, low 4 year graduation rate, the cost is ~450k for 4 years which is 100K+ more expensive then Pitt. The disadvantage of Pitt is that it's far away, the move would be substantial, and weather would be worse, and I would have to be re certified to practice for CA upon graduation (if I wanted to move back to CA, which I probably would).

Anyways I was wondering if I could get some unbiased opinions of the schools from people who are actually students there. If I've gotten any of the negatives/positives about the school wrong, please don't take offense as this is just from what I've heard and feel free to correct me.

You can take WREB at Pittsburgh (they host it at least once a year) which will cover you for Cali licensure. I don't know much about Pitt, but I haven't heard much negativity. On the other hand, USC seems to have a lot of issues that come up frequently on this forum (I did not go there and am not making any assumptions about their program). If staying close to home will make you happy, then do it. On the other hand, moving to a new location will take you out of your comfort zone, but it will compel you to absorb a new culture and add new facets to your life experience. I moved from my hometown to go to a school where I knew nobody, but I will say that I am glad that I did. It pushed me to meet new people (some who are now my best friends) and in a way completed my road to independence from my parents. They too were hoping that I would stay near them (and couldn't comprehend why I would want to leave), but eventually came to grips with my decision and in the end were very happy for me... Just my thoughts...

thanks for the info, I heard about the WREB but wasn't when/where it was held, I know that CA recently began accepting it for licensing, overall your post was very helpful keep em coming :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think you should go with what you feel comfortable with. I am in your situation too, trying to decide between USC and an east coast school.

If I were you, I wouldn't listen so much of what people have to say on here. Most people on here that have negative things to say about USC, don't even go to USC!:oops: They just have heard things about the school.

What I did though, was found current, and recent graduates of USC through facebook, and asked them honestly how their experience has been. I also went to the school, and asked students what they felt, especially the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. There were different opinions.

Most students are used to someone lecturing them and telling them what they need to know, which is why it would be something to get used to. But, it was nice talking to current students who said that they learned more and retained more from being active learners. A fourth year told me she has enjoyed her experience, and credits her incredible board scores from PBL (which is medically based like the Boards), because in the past (like DAT), she was a horrible standardized test taker. She also said that their average board score was around 90%.

Another student told me that she likes USC because PBL has given her more lab time, which is good because USC's clinical requirements are one of the highest in the nation, which is why they become great clinicians.

I also heard that they are working to improve whatever the students are concerned about, and have town hall meetings. For example, after one town hall meeting, labs were opened throughout the weekend so that students could have more time to finish their work.

So, YES. I think you should investigate on your own, and go where you feel happy. Please don't get all wrapped up in what so many people, who don't even go to USC have to say. ;)

Good luck w/ your decision!

I am a 4th year at USC. I can tell you that USC does have high graduation requirements and very meticulous standards for clinical work. It is also very stressful, and when I say stressful I mean it will be the most anxiety filled stressful experience of your life. I've had guns pointed at me and my life threatened. I've had bullets flying by my head just inches away from hitting me. The stress and anxiety that I had felt then is exactly the same that I have felt here the only difference is that those nearly life ending experiences were momentary. The stress and anxiety here is almost constant. I am not over-exaggerating this. I have felt recently that if I knew before I came here what I know now I would not have done it.

All I have to say is do your own research, don't rely on these boards, because it's you going to theschool, not them!

I am a 4th year at USC. I can tell you that USC does have high graduation requirements and very meticulous standards for clinical work. It is also very stressful, and when I say stressful I mean it will be the most anxiety filled stressful experience of your life. I've had guns pointed at me and my life threatened. I've had bullets flying by my head just inches away from hitting me. The stress and anxiety that I had felt then is exactly the same that I have felt here the only difference is that those nearly life ending experiences were momentary. The stress and anxiety here is almost constant. I am not over-exaggerating this. I have felt recently that if I knew before I came here what I know now I would not have done it.

All I can say is..REALLY? You think it compares to being shot at?

For the record, I am also a 4th year at USC and my experience has been nothing like yours.

I'm a 4th year at pitt right now, and I moved from california. If you are worried about getting your license, like someone already said, you can take the wreb at school.
Moving across country is not easy, culturally, pittsburgh is different, weather is different, and it sounds like you don't know anyone out here. I didn't either. I would not let any one of these factors deter you.
The complaints that dental students have are often very similar in nature although they usually stem from very different things. i.e. dental school is a tough haul for 4 years, although every school has its own ups and downs.

At the end of the day, go with your gut. Come back out and visit the school a second time if you need to. Talk to the students (not the ones that give the tours!). The more information you have to make a decision the more educated your decision will be. If you have any questions or want specific info about school, PM me, I'm happy to tell you anything you might want to know!
hope this helps
:D

Thanks everyone for your comments they're defn helping LittleD I might take you up on your offer and PM you some questions :) Thanks again to all who have replied (and all who will reply :)

{"I am a 4th year at USC. I can tell you that USC does have high graduation requirements and very meticulous standards for clinical work. It is also very stressful, and when I say stressful I mean it will be the most anxiety filled stressful experience of your life. I've had guns pointed at me and my life threatened. I've had bullets flying by my head just inches away from hitting me. The stress and anxiety that I had felt then is exactly the same that I have felt here the only difference is that those nearly life ending experiences were momentary. The stress and anxiety here is almost constant. I am not over-exaggerating this. I have felt recently that if I knew before I came here what I know now I would not have done it."}

UMMM....maybe you should seek some anxiety medication, because I've never heard about anyone's dental experience being that crazy!!:laugh:...Dodge bullets???? Just because USC is not in Westwood??:laugh:

UMMM....maybe you should seek some anxiety medication, because I've never heard about anyone's dental experience being that crazy!!:laugh:...Dodge bullets???? Just because USC is not in Westwood??:laugh:[/QUOTE]

The dodgin the bullets was not here, it was somewhere else. Its true everyone has different experiences. Some people here at SC have had realitively mild experiences but I can assure you that for the vast majority of us it has been extremely stressful. The stress comes from certain comps, trying to get the patients and procedures that you need, not knowing if you will get out of here when you need to to report to your residency program that you have worked you butt off for and spent tons of cash to apply and interveiw for. Its being dirt poor while hugh amounts of debt accumulate. Mostly its a scramble every day to try to get things done, to get out of here and at the end of the day it often seems like we are just spinning our wheels.

ok. So, if you had the opportunity to do it all ove again, do you think you and a majority of others would have still go USC's dental school, or would you apply elsewhere? ...Also, I hear the board scores have been high though.:thumbup:

ok. So, if you had the opportunity to do it all ove again, do you think you and a majority of others would have still go USC's dental school, or would you apply elsewhere? ...Also, I hear the board scores have been high though.:thumbup:

I have heard of several other schools, most in fact, which are easier to graduate from. If I had it to do over I would go to UCLA or UCSF something like that. Cheaper and requirements are much lower. If you want to be a good general dentist come here. But if you want to specialize you will be agonizing over your decision to come here.

All dental schools have their pros and cons with different students offering varying perspectives. I am a 4th year at Pitt and must say that while my overall experience has been positive, there have been many ups and downs along the way. The first two years were structured and pretty standard in terms of dental school curriculum. You have a lot didactic coursework combined with preclinical labs that keeps you very busy. The simulation clinic is really nice and did a good job preparing me for working on patients. Once I passed NBDE I and entered the clinic, things were pretty layed back. Within the last year, the prosthodontic department changed hands and new rules were layed down regarding the handling of cases. Dental students (3rd and 4th year) are no longer permitted to complete certain prosthodontic procedures in the clinic. In terms of fixed prostho, we are limited to doing no more than 2 single crowns per arch or one 3 unit fixed bridge per patient. Anything greater than 2 crowns per arch or above a 3 unit bridge automatically is transferred to the graduate prosthodontics department. Also, more complex RPD cases or those involving an alteration in the vertical dimension are sent to grad prostho as well. There are even more stipulations beyond these major categories. The overall result is that you become limited in the amount and complexity of prosthodontic treatment that you can provide to patients and this makes it much more difficult to complete graduation requirements (especially crowns). So if you want to go somewhere where you have the opportunity to do 6 anterior crowns, multiple veneers, or a 4+ unit bridge, then Pitt is not the place for you. Other than that, the faculty is pretty decent and the people friendly at the school. If it were me, I would probably stay close to home in Cali and not make the move across the country to attend Pitt (even if it could save 100k). And if I had to do it all over again, I would choose a dental school where I could get maximal clinical exposure prior to graduation. Next year I will be doing a GPR to get more experience and fill in the gaps that were not fulfilled at Pitt.

All dental schools have their pros and cons with different students offering varying perspectives. I am a 4th year at Pitt and must say that while my overall experience has been positive, there have been many ups and downs along the way. The first two years were structured and pretty standard in terms of dental school curriculum. You have a lot didactic coursework combined with preclinical labs that keeps you very busy. The simulation clinic is really nice and did a good job preparing me for working on patients. Once I passed NBDE I and entered the clinic, things were pretty layed back. Within the last year, the prosthodontic department changed hands and new rules were layed down regarding the handling of cases. Dental students (3rd and 4th year) are no longer permitted to complete certain prosthodontic procedures in the clinic. In terms of fixed prostho, we are limited to doing no more than 2 single crowns per arch or one 3 unit fixed bridge per patient. Anything greater than 2 crowns per arch or above a 3 unit bridge automatically is transferred to the graduate prosthodontics department. Also, more complex RPD cases or those involving an alteration in the vertical dimension are sent to grad prostho as well. There are even more stipulations beyond these major categories. The overall result is that you become limited in the amount and complexity of prosthodontic treatment that you can provide to patients and this makes it much more difficult to complete graduation requirements (especially crowns). So if you want to go somewhere where you have the opportunity to do 6 anterior crowns, multiple veneers, or a 4+ unit bridge, then Pitt is not the place for you. Other than that, the faculty is pretty decent and the people friendly at the school. If it were me, I would probably stay close to home in Cali and not make the move across the country to attend Pitt (even if it could save 100k). And if I had to do it all over again, I would choose a dental school where I could get maximal clinical exposure prior to graduation. Next year I will be doing a GPR to get more experience and fill in the gaps that were not fulfilled at Pitt.

Definitely something to consider, from what I heard USC produces students with good hand skills, but most of the people in the program are very unhappy with how it's managed and many can't finish in 4 years due to the nature of the clinic. How's the graduation rate at Pitt? Does everyone pretty much get enough work to fulfill requirements? Could you do additional work to be more prepared?

I am a first year dental student at USC adn I love it here. The fulltime PBL is good for me but it all depends on how you learn. I don't like sitting in lectures going over powerpoint presentations for 8 hours a day. If you are like me maybe you should consider USC. I know people say that the school has all these problems but what school doesn't. Go with your heart and look forward to working hard no matter what you choose because dental school is great but it is stressful and a lot of work,