Help Please.. 3.3 GPA + 32 on MCAT.. need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midwood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My overall GPA is about a 3.3, but my BCPM is 3.0.

I had a problem with my MCAT test the first time I took it. I live in New York City, and I took the train to get to my test. However, the train got stuck underground for over an hr, and I had to get out to walk to my test center. This occurred on a hot day and I was not in my best shape as I had a headache throughout the test. I ended up getting a 24 and the only reason I didn't void it was because I feared the delay in my application. I took the exam again 1 month later and got a 32 this time (P-11, V- 8, B- 13). I was able to print out an article highlighting the train problems on my test day. I was wondering if medical schools consider such events and understand it.

I have also done research for over 4 years and published one paper. I am the third author on that paper. In addition, I have volunteered in a hospital ER for over 2 years. I was also a resident assistant (RA) for 3 years.

Also, what are my chances of getting into medical school with the low GPA but somewhat decent MCAT score ? Do medical schools average both my scores ?

I have listed the medical schools I am applying to below... what are my chances in those schools:

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicin
New York University
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
SUNY Upstate Medical University
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Stony Brook University - School of Medicine
State University of New York Downstate Medical Cen
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Howard University
Georgetown University School of Medicine
The University of Vermont College of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine

Thank you guys !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might like to look at the School Selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum, plug in your numbers, and it will tell you how competitive you are for those schools.

Most schools consider the most recent MCAT, some take the best score, and a very few make a new composite score from your best subscores. The 32 is a good score. It really isn't high enough to compensate for your low cGPA and very low BCPM GPA. Perhaps some schools will consider your ECs to override the numbers to some extent (you don't mention physician shadowing; I hope you did that, too). If you aim only for allopathic med schools, you might consider applying to some Special Masters Programs now as a backup plan (see Post-Baccalaureate Forum for more details of this). You could also apply to DO medical schools now, as you are a good candidate for them.

Yes, I wasn't clear enough earlier. In the two years that I volunteered in the ER, I shadowed a doctor.