School List Help LOW STAT APP | 3.3 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need help building a school list. I am applying DO already but need low stat forgiving med schools

ORM NJ Res

Trad Grad (Biochem @ State school )

3.3 CGPA 3.1 SGPA

Very Strong Upward Trend (Last 50 creds@ 3.7)

508 MCAT (127/127/128/126)

EMS : 400 hrs

Musician: 350 hrs

Research Exp: 1750 hours at lab (starting pub nov done by next march? ), 1 thesis presentation

TA for Chem

volunteer at local hospital: 15 hrs

shadow : 35 hrs MD

Med related Club President for 3 years (150 Hours)

BLS instructor: 80 hrs

100 hours non clinc paid employment (med related)
 
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
ROWAN
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
You could try these MD schools:
Your 3 New Jersey state public schools
Albany
NOVA MD
Methodist (when it opens)
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Oakland Beaumont
 
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
ROWAN
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
You could try these MD schools:
Your 3 New Jersey state public schools
Albany
NOVA MD
Methodist (when it opens)
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Oakland Beaumont
Would there be any other other MD schools possible? Would Rush or Wayne be out of the question? And what could I do to strength app in terms of EC's
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to comment, your experience hours are also lower than desired. 15 hours hospital volunteer, 35 hours shadowing. EMS is 400 hours (respectable but we also have seen more from other applicants). 80 hours BLS.

No community service is listed. Could you tell us more here?
 
Would there be any other other MD schools possible? Would Rush or Wayne be out of the question? And what could I do to strength app in terms of EC's
Rush is out of the question. You seem to have no nonclinical volunteering. Rush expects hundreds if not thousands of nonclinical volunteering from their applicants.in fact, all of your listed hours are on the lower side.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Forget Loyola. The expect way more community service hours. The Jesuit schools are built on service.

Nice job on the retake. That will help but remember some many, most schools average multiple MCAT scores.
Please let us know how your cycle goes.,
 
@candbgirl @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @Faha Hey Guys, hope you are doing well. I have received some love from DO schools, but for MD is mostly pre-II holds. Just to prepare for worst-case situations, I think it's clear that my GPA needs to be improved. I have already appliedto ACMS for postbac, but are there any other programs with guaranteed linkages? MD favoring only please, as I can only get financial help from parents if I know there is a program that will help me specifically with MD. Also, I have got 400 + hours with Americorp, so I hope that helps.
 
@candbgirl @Goro @Mr.Smile12 @Faha Hey Guys, hope you are doing well. I have received some love from DO schools, but for MD is mostly pre-II holds. Just to prepare for worst-case situations, I think it's clear that my GPA needs to be improved. I have already appliedto ACMS for postbac, but are there any other programs with guaranteed linkages? MD favoring only please, as I can only get financial help from parents if I know there is a program that will help me specifically with MD. Also, I have got 400 + hours with Americorp, so I hope that helps.
Why did you apply to DO schools if you had no intention to attend them?

Beggars can't be choosy. Even upon reapplication, you'll still need DO schools on your list as a reinventor. You're also looking at losing some 2-3 years of an attending's salary with your plan.
 
It sounds like your parents could use some education concerning DO versus MD and understand that, today, they both get you to the same place. This is coming from someone who got their MD in 1977 and has seen the span over decades
 
I will also comment that once you graduate, you need clinical exposure and non-clinical community service too. Your lack of mission fit is probably the problem too.

Trying to find a direct admission path may be very appealing because you/your family seem to want to do things the "easy way." Any postbac program would love to get your money, but are you sure you/your parents aren't picky about where?

You likely already passed up BS/MD programs when you were a high school student. You missed out on FlexMed at Mt. Sinai, or similar early admission tracks (probably blew it with your GPA).

At least according to another consultancy website, here are some well-known SMP's with linkages (contact them to confirm)
  • Georgetown
  • Boston University
  • Tufts
  • Loyola Chicago
  • University of Cincinnati
  • Drexel
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • Western Michigan (tuition free)
I also suggest Barry University in Florida because they have done remarkably well over the decade to getting students into various programs. They have linkages to some DO schools, but their list of schools where their students have been accepted is impressive.

Right now, from what I see via internet impression (which can always be totally wrong), I get a sense your goal is to get into "any MD" medical school, but you will burn out from the intensity. Maybe that's the impression you're giving off in your other applications too.
 
Last edited: