Help Please :) Calculating GRE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BostonLvr

KSUCVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me out- How do you calculate a cumulative GRE score? What I'm getting at is how does the analytical writing portion count toward the total score?

Members don't see this ad.

The analytical writing part is completely separate. The quantitative and verbal sections equate to a total of 1600 points. The analytical writing section is graded using a scale of 1-6. Usually when schools talk about what percentile their average student gets on the GRE they are talking about the quantitative and verbal sections only. Hope that helps!

Cumulative Score = Verbal + Quantitative

Each of those are out of 800 for a max of 1600.

Writing/Analytical is graded from 0.0 to 6.0

Schools wanting a certain cumulative GRE score are looking at the V + Q.

Be sure to check with the school you are interested in, some schools take the highest score from one sitting. Others take the highest for each portion no matter if they were in the same sitting or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of schools don't even look at the analytical section. I know that Ohio State requires it and adds it into the cumulative, so because I got a 750Q, 600V and 5.5A my total score was 1355.5. This addition of 5.5 doesn't add anything to the point value attributed to my GRE score as those point values are for scores ranging from say 1200 - 1250 etc. Although the analytical isn't really looked at at most schools, still do it. I know some people that have skipped the analytical section (Penn doesn't require you to do it) and then when they tried to apply to other schools they were screwed.

Check with whatever school you are interested though because they could convert that analytical score to a score out of 800 (Kansas State does, at least that's how they report class statistics). I didn't know this, so I blew off that section and then wished I'd tried a little harder.

In case you don't know, here's how you convert it...

Divide your analytical score (0-> 6) by 6, and then multiply this number by 800. Then just add this to your V + Q.

Again, most schools don't do this, but just make sure...

I'm planning to apply to Kansas this fall so that's what I needed to know. Thanks! :)