help please! quick question about SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbene11

lifeskills814
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm a senior at Boston University and I'm looking to apply for SMPs at Georgetown, BU, and Tufts to enter Fall 2011. I'm just confused and have a few questions:

1. they keep saying they will review it once they have received all credentials. however, if i apply in, say, january, i wouldn't have had my senior grades in yet. how does that work?

2. the application that is available now- will that change (the essays) in december or is it the same? i.e. can i start it now

3. Does NYU have an SMP?

4. I still need to take one summer course after may 2011 (when I was supposed to graduate) so I believe that I will not "officially" receive my degree until September 2011. Will this be a problem?

5. just a random question: let's say hypothetically that I would like to attend columbia med school. would it make more sense to do that through the columbia post bac? or just stick with the SMPs? I've heard of someone getting into columbia med through their post bac.

Thanks so much!
user_offline.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys

I'm a senior at Boston University and I'm looking to apply for SMPs at Georgetown, BU, and Tufts to enter Fall 2011. I'm just confused and have a few questions:

1. they keep saying they will review it once they have received all credentials. however, if i apply in, say, january, i wouldn't have had my senior grades in yet. how does that work?

It means when they got your transcripts, LORs, etc. Basically all your application materials.

2. the application that is available now- will that change (the essays) in december or is it the same? i.e. can i start it now

Probably not but no guarantees.

3. Does NYU have an SMP?

Not that I'm aware of. Only a post-bacc.

4. I still need to take one summer course after may 2011 (when I was supposed to graduate) so I believe that I will not "officially" receive my degree until September 2011. Will this be a problem?

Most likely, SMPs typically start when med school starts, which is in early August. Even if you finish in time, some may require that you finish your degree by the spring. Hopefully, someone more knowledgable about the programs you are asking about can answer this better that I have.

5. just a random question: let's say hypothetically that I would like to attend columbia med school. would it make more sense to do that through the columbia post bac? or just stick with the SMPs? I've heard of someone getting into columbia med through their post bac.

Thanks so much!

It really depends on your stats (gpa, mcat) and your situation. And I'm not sure, but I think columbia's post-bacc is for people w/o prereqs, but I can't be sure.

thank you for your help.

for question 1 though i still don't really understand because (correct me if i'm wrong) most applicants who apply in the winter are still seniors in college, so how do they make a decision in march/april before your senior grades are out?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for your help.

for question 1 though i still don't really understand because (correct me if i'm wrong) most applicants who apply in the winter are still seniors in college, so how do they make a decision in march/april before your senior grades are out?

They don't look at those grades because you don't have them yet. They accept/reject you based on whatever grades you have when you apply. Then they accept you under the condition that you graduate with at least C's (sometimes B's) in your final semester/quarter.

Isoprop answered all the questions. so guess I don't need to answer this thread as you asked in PM because all the answers are above and I see no point of rewriting the same thing.

You get a lot of PMs eh? I don't envy you. :cool: