HELP PLEASE!! Rush Medical College vs. USF Morsani SELECT///// EDIT: Picked Morsani

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1044527

!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, also an accepted student at Rush. Some things to note:

-Grading is P/F but it’s internally ranked so there’s still some pressure there.
-I wouldn’t say Chicago is a con. Tons of research opportunities (especially if you want to go ortho) and Northwestern/Uchicago/UIC are al close by to do research in
-I’ll edit more to this post later tonight when I’m free but I still think I’d go towards Rush in this case

Reactions: 1 users
seems like both schools have almost the same amount of pros, but USF has way more real cons. Choose Rush!

Reactions: 1 users
Check on a couple pages back in the class specific page for the dumpster fire

Sorry to be annoying, but I can’t seem to find the thread you’re referencing. Allopathic Class Threads forum in the medical student forums seems to be closed down since last year?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Hey @TheDilPickle, I'm also trying to decide between USF Select vs. a couple other schools so I was wondering if I could bounce some thoughts off of you (as a potential future classmate!), based on your initial post...

-516/517 MCAT average, might be more competitive ambitious classmates.

I actually see its high avg. MCAT as a pro also, but was surprised specifically by your phrasing "more competitive"-- wouldn't a more collaborative, rather than competitive, vibe be preferable?

-It's graded A-F! Yikes, extra pointless stress! Even though grades won't be heavily looked at, it still adds extra worry. I could maybe stand out more this way, but it feels like it could only cause harm than good.

This spooks me as well. The one redeeming factor is that there's no limit to the number of people that can achieve an "A" (Honors) -- i.e. it's not percentile based -- but still, not sure how to feel about this.

P/F for med school strikes me as highly preferable, especially considering the sheer amount of information you have to learn -- students at other (P/F) schools express it as "You don't have to worry about learning all the tiniest details and can focus on getting the important concepts" -- Essentially the whole reasoning behind why Step 1 itself went P/F, IMO.

On that subject though, maybe with Step 1 going P/F, a tiered pre-clinical grading system is more preferable to give us something else to differentiate ourselves with...? (But my issue is that I'm not overly confident I'd be able to get those As! I get the sense being a high-achieving student in undergrad and being a high-achieving student in med school are two entirely different beasts.)

Have your thoughts on this evolved at all?

-Not sure if pro/con, but I am in SELECT program, ~3 hours/week of team based work plus homework and exams for leadership and emotional intelligence. This is why I have to leave for clinical years for Lehigh Valley.

This also irks me a bit. My friend who graduated the program said along the way, it was annoying to them, but now looking back (M3-M4) they can see how it helped them for their future. However, I've heard it said that one should look for the school that has the least extra crap in your schedule and instead gives you as much free time as possible to study.

-Rotations in Lehigh Valley: Not sure if this is necessarily a con since I don't know much about the area, but it definitely can't be as well-known or famous as Rush's program, so probably not a pro.

I'm not too worried about this personally; LVHN is an outstanding health network and based off my interview weekend in Allentown, I suspect we'd get a great clinical education here.

-Outreach is definitely weaker, school seems a little disorganized. Maybe because of the move to the new building they have been caught off guard, still no second look.

100% agree. This is one of the major cons for me for USF vs. my other schools. They were consistently the least communicative, the last of any of my schools to send updates, etc. etc. Overall leaves a bad taste in my mouth as to how organized / helpful the admin/advising staff might be, which makes the 14% SOAP a bit more concerning. My other schools offer extremely involved and supportive staff/admin which I'm a little afraid of trading up for this.
That being said, my M4 SELECT friend indicates the disorganization / lack of communication is more the USF Main campus staff (i.e. the CORE side of things) and that the SELECT staff are better...

Edit: "LHVN" corrected to "LVHN"

I don't think Morsani should allow incorrigible racists like you into the program, @TheDilPickle. What an awful human being you are

Pot calling the kettle black.

Weren't you the same person that posted inflammatory and derogatory racial comments/ images to get your probationary status?

Reactions: 1 user