Help Please! Ohio State vs Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightingillini122

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently deciding between Ohio State and Rush. I have one more pending decision, but with a low post II A rate, I am not banking on getting accepted. I am really struggling with this decision and would love some input.

OSU

Pros:

-Lower Tuition (would be able to classify as IS for second, third, and fourth year)
-More name recognition
-More research opportunities and funding
-Top hospitals in oncology and cardiology (my top two specialty interests)
-Seem to fit in with the student body better based on limited interactions
-Very few things are mandatory. All lectures recorded

Cons:
-Heard it can be somewhat challenging to reclassify as IS
-5.5 hour drive from family, friends, and SO. Essentially losing my support system
-While Columbus isn’t small, it certainly is not Chicago which would be a huge adjustment for me

RUSH

Pros:
-IS and a 10 minute drive from where I currently live. Would have my whole support system
-Exceptional community service opportunities (I want to work with underserved communities throughout my career)
-Great rotation sites including Stroger Cook County which would allow me to see a ton
-In the heart of Chicago

Cons:
-Very high tuition with limited financial aid opportunities
-Flipped classroom and often mandatory lectures
-Less prestigious?

Note: Support is important for me and my SO is in graduate school in Chicago so she can not move with me which would be difficult. However, the opportunities at OSU seem to be better

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
(Not sure if its necessary to disclose this but I'm deferred from OSU but will be withdrawing) Ooh, this is a tough one. It seems like you have a great support system between your family, friends, and SO. It seems like your heart is telling you to go to Rush but you're worried about missing opportunities at OSU. If the high tuition at Rush won't set you back detrimentally, I say go where you know you will be supported and be happier. More experienced people here can weigh in about if the "prestige/opportunity" difference is a factor here. Congrats on a successful cycle :)

Reactions: 1 users
You may be underestimating your ability to develop a support system in medical school. Many students move hundreds of miles from home and form strong friendships during medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
(Not sure if it’s necessary to disclose this but I'm deferred from OSU but will be withdrawing) Ooh, this is a tough one. It seems like you have a great support system between your family, friends, and SO. It seems like your heart is telling you to go to Rush but you're worried about missing opportunities at OSU. If the high tuition at Rush won't set you back detrimentally, I say go where you know you will be supported and be happier. More experienced people here can weigh in about if the "prestige/opportunity" difference is a factor here. Congrats on a successful cycle :)
Thank you! Yes exactly. I love Chicago and want to be here. I just don’t want to close any doors by not attending Ohio St.

• Love
You may be underestimating your ability to develop a support system in medical school. Many students move hundreds of miles from home and form strong friendships during medical school.
I definitely think I’d be able to find friends and a support system in Cbus. It’s just hard to turn away immediate family and SO when I have the option to be with him. Just can’t decide if the immediate support or potential future opportunities is more important

Honestly unless you plan on marrying your SO, you should not be making school choices based on them. OSU definitely has more name recognition but that isn’t everything. Also have heard nothing but great things about Columbus. At the end of the day, you should go to the school you are more excited about and whichever will be more affordable.

Honestly unless you plan on marrying your SO, you should not be making school choices based on them. OSU definitely has more name recognition but that isn’t everything. Also have heard nothing but great things about Columbus. At the end of the day, you should go to the school you are more excited about and whichever will be more affordable.
That is a very fair point. I am certainly more excited about OSU as a school, but more excited about Chicago as a city. Will definitely come down to FA at the end of the day. Thank you for your input

• Care
This is definitely OSU if you can manage to be away from SO. You're still in the Midwest in a very busy area so don't worry about that too much (not like you're moving to rural). Service opportunities will be there. Family won't be that far away (you can visit on weekends if you have a car).

The T30 name and opportunities of OSU far outweigh Rush, not to mention the way lower tuition and COL.

This is definitely OSU if you can manage to be away from SO. You're still in the Midwest in a very busy area so don't worry about that too much (not like you're moving to rural). Service opportunities will be there. Family won't be that far away (you can visit on weekends if you have a car).

The T30 name and opportunities of OSU far outweigh Rush, not to mention the way lower tuition and COL.
That’s certainly the way I’m thinking as well. Luckily I have some time to decide, but I think I know deep down I’d have much more opportunities at OSU for my future.

I may be in a similar position with OSU vs. a state school in New Jersey that I am waiting on, so I'm super curious to see where you and I end up! Best of luck, and I hope we end up where we are meant to be!

Similar position regarding moving away from home and being closer to SO and support system vs. OSU, which has excellent opportunities but I can't tell how truly significant it really is.

Reactions: 1 users