HELP please, SGU vs Ross ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical school should I attend?

• St. Georges

Votes: 34 68.0%
  • Ross

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • AUC

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • UMHS

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with the above posters ..if you have the option to go to DO school etc.
A few years ago I would have said SGU. I went there and the class size when I went there was about 400 and I graduated in 2011. I know one or two people (out of the ones that made it to residency application ) that didn't get a residency out of my class (just anecdotal I didn't know everyone in my class). I also know only a handful of people that were dismissed from the school over the years. Reading about the attrition rate really surprises me sometimes but the SGU I knew is probably not the SGU it use to be. The class size is double now close to 900?

I will refrain from commenting from the other schools because I don't have first hand experience about them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You previously said you took the MCAT in 8/2014. Which means you at best started last fall but more likely started off-cycle in January. Glad you've got it all figured out after less than two months of medical school.

Well actually, I have lots of friends who took the same track as I did... I seen first hand how this goes. That was one of the main reason I took this track. I mean, if you wanna sit here and play the "oh, I'm high and mighty since I got into an American medical school," thats fine. Just don't put down other people and their dreams because you feel a heightened sense of superiority. People chase their dreams and obtain residencies all over the country. If you want it bad enough, you will make it! I really hope you aren't this pompous to your caribbean grad colleagues.

Well actually, I have lots of friends who took the same track as I did... I seen first hand how this goes. That was one of the main reason I took this track. I mean, if you wanna sit here and play the "oh, I'm high and mighty since I got into an American medical school," thats fine. Just don't put down other people and their dreams because you feel a heightened sense of superiority. People chase their dreams and obtain residencies all over the country. If you want it bad enough, you will make it! I really hope you aren't this pompous to your caribbean grad colleagues.

No actually I like to play the "Oh I've gone through med school, the match, and personally have read and evaluated hundreds of applications for residency" card. Just like the at least 4 other people with admissions committee and residency selection committee experience (by my quick count) who've contributed their opinion in this thread.

I think it's important to know the source of the information as it helps assess the reliability of said information. A Ross student with less than 2 months of experience in medical school should be upfront about their credentials and where they are in the process, not act like they've got it all figured out.

You also seem to have missed something. I have nothing against caribbean students and I'm not "putting them down" or their dreams down. I'm here on the pre-med forum giving advice to potential students about what their best options are for their career path moving forward. The best option is unequivocally not going to the carib.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No actually I like to play the "Oh I've gone through med school, the match, and personally have read and evaluated hundreds of applications for residency" card. Just like the at least 4 other people with admissions committee and residency selection committee experience (by my quick count) who've contributed their opinion in this thread.

I think it's important to know the source of the information as it helps assess the reliability of said information. A Ross student with less than 2 months of experience in medical school should be upfront about their credentials and where they are in the process, not act like they've got it all figured out.

You also seem to have missed something. I have nothing against caribbean students and I'm not "putting them down" or their dreams down. I'm here on the pre-med forum giving advice to potential students about what their best options are for their career path moving forward. The best option is unequivocally not going to the carib.

Ok, first and foremost... I am not 2 months in. I began in the fall at Ross. So, you're telling me that a caribbean grad who scored 240+ on his step 1 will get skipped over for a residency because of where he went to school? Highly-unlikely... It's all about your board scores, is it not?

P.S.: Don't try to play the whole "you're not qualified to speak on the matter" card. I have seen 4 total friends within the last 3 years go through the process and succeed. They even matched in their top choices. They did score significantly higher on their boards then the average in america that would've probably got the same residency for a lesser score. Either way, are they not doctors? Have they not completed their dream? You know for a fact that a huge amount of factors go into being selected for a residency position. You can't say a caribbean medical student is doomed... It's illogical and purely egotistical since Ross matched 800 students into residency last match.

Last edited:
Ok, first and foremost... I am not 2 months in. I began in the fall at Ross. So, you're telling me that a caribbean grad who scored 240+ on his step 1 will get skipped over for a residency because of where he went to school? Highly-unlikely... It's all about your board scores, is it not?

My program won't interview a caribbean grad, so yes I do think that. Your application never even gets seen. You're horribly naive if you think that its "all about your board scores".

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf

40% of programs won't consider US-IMGs.

And that's all specialties.

Just to look at a few specialties -

Emergency medicine - 50%
Orthopedic surgery - 75%
General surgery - 50%

It is an uphill climb for a US-IMG. A steep one. Getting steeper by the year by all indications. I wish you the best of luck. Doesn't change my advice to any pre-med willing to listen.

Reactions: 2 users
My program won't interview a caribbean grad, so yes I do think that. Your application never even gets seen. You're horribly naive if you think that its "all about your board scores".

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf

40% of programs won't consider US-IMGs.

And that's all specialties.

Just to look at a few specialties -

Emergency medicine - 50%
Orthopedic surgery - 75%
General surgery - 50%

It is an uphill climb for a US-IMG. A steep one. Getting steeper by the year by all indications. I wish you the best of luck. Doesn't change my advice to any pre-med willing to listen.

Wait, wait... By this statistical evaluation, US DO grad's are also NOT considered...
"Graduate of U.S. allopathic medical school"

There's an entire section of the figures specifically for DOs

I get it, most hospitals will not interview a caribbean grad... However, they aren't noting whether or not those others will even review the application first... The match gives them a rank, am I wrong?

I mean statistically speaking, there are hundreds of caribbean graduate students from other (less reputable) schools. I think that a graduate from the big 3 has a better chance of success and most likely the statistics for these three schools are higher than if they were to include ALL caribbean schools. I just think the stats are deflated as a result... I am not saying we aren't underprivileged in this game, I'm just saying its gonna be tough but achievable if you want it bad enough. I've already started studying for my step. I have done 452 questions from prep material I purchased in first semester. I am motivated and driven. I won't let me being a caribbean grad stand in my way.

Because I buy a lottery ticket (or two!) everyday, I will win. I am motivated and driven to win the mega million jackpot. I won't let statistics or reality stand in my way. :)

Reactions: 5 users

You said you have done great on multiple board style assesments...define great and explain what board style assesments you've done great on in 7 months of school

Reactions: 2 users
I mean statistically speaking, there are hundreds of caribbean graduate students from other (less reputable) schools. I think that a graduate from the big 3 has a better chance of success and most likely the statistics for these three schools are higher than if they were to include ALL caribbean schools. I just think the stats are deflated as a result... I am not saying we aren't underprivileged in this game, I'm just saying its gonna be tough but achievable if you want it bad enough. I've already started studying for my step. I have done 452 questions from prep material I purchased in first semester. I am motivated and driven. I won't let me being a caribbean grad stand in my way.
Look at the match statistics on the island where you attend school on Chart 15, page 22 to see how last year's applicants fared. An accredited school (MD or DO) with match stats like any of these schools would be closed.
http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know a guy from college that got a low to mid to high twenties on all of his MCATs. I'm not very close to the guy so I'll approximate and say he probably had a 3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and a final MCAT of 27-ish. He was a smart guy, maybe just a bit too social, but definitely had the aptitude, but never applied himself enough until his MCAT debacle, which I think was mainly based off of him having bad test anxiety after his first two, which he rushed into.

Anyways, he just moved to Dominica according to his Twitter and Insta. He's at Ross, and I just feel so terrible for the guy. Terrible because he tweets about being a doctor and loving medicine, and all this stuff all day. Because there's a great chance he could never be able to practice, and even if he is, in a specialty that's not of his choosing, but just the scraps that are left over. You have to remember that Ross and other Carib schools (maybe even SGU) are sponsored by those for-profit companies like Sylvan or Devry. We laugh at DeVry in the states for good reason -- they rob people. The same goes for these medical schools. There's no resources, your education is, by definition, 2nd-tier, it's not a good experience. Even SGU's hospital is really badly kept up.

My advice to you is to take the MCAT and become a DO. If you're going Carib only for the reason of having an MD at the end of your name, that's shallow, and has nothing to do with you wanting to become a physician. It has everything to do with other people. And if you're becoming a doctor for other people, it's time to reevaluate everything. With that mindset, you'll never get out of the Caribbean. With the guy I knew, he thought he was "too good" to go DO, and I am certain he will regret that decision in three years, when he will probably not match, and our friends that decided to go DO will be sitting on some nice Anesthesiology residencies.

Look at the match statistics on the island where you attend school on Chart 15, page 22 to see how last year's applicants fared. An accredited school (MD or DO) with match stats like any of these schools would be closed.
http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
Wow, these are painful to look at.

I did some quick Googling to find out which med schools are in which places.
HxL3SdC.png

Someone with more familiarity with these places should create a better version of this.

(And now I've put in a bunch of Google searches like "medical schools in Grenada" and I'll probably start seeing SGU ads everywhere.)

Reactions: 7 users

HxL3SdC.png

Someone with more familiarity with these places should create a better version of this.

(And now I've put in a bunch of Google searches like "medical schools in Grenada" and I'll probably start seeing SGU ads everywhere.)

Awesome annotations. Yeah I mean what the heck? Nearly half of Ross' class doesn't match? A fourth of SGU's? And with most of these places, more are matching that are not matching.

I'm personally surprised by Pakistan and India which seems like an outlier, I'd imagine more people would be applying from there.

Awesome annotations. Yeah I mean what the heck? Nearly half of Ross' class doesn't match? A fourth of SGU's? And with most of these places, more are matching that are not matching.
I'd caution that I have barely heard of these schools so this could be somewhat inaccurate. The overall picture, though, is clear.
I'm personally surprised by Pakistan and India which seems like an outlier, I'd imagine more people would be applying from there.
This is only for US citizens. There is a separate chart for those who are not US citizens.
Top of the first site I went to just now (I am not anywhere near San Francisco, funny enough--probably confused because I've also been googling UCSF):
uA8cuAH.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
And this doesn't even consider those kids who failed out.

My learned colleague Hushcom described the Carib diploma mills as "educational malpractice". I agree with that assessment 1000%.

See the wise gyngyn's comment above, as well.

HxL3SdC.png

Reactions: 5 users

HxL3SdC.png

I mean, SGU isn't doing THAAAT bad. They're shooting almost 70%, and I'm sure it was the 70% who had above average board scores, while the other 30% had lower scores. So if you go to SGU, then you gotta make sure you don't flunk out (they fail many kids), and that you do well on boards. If you do that, you have a great chance of being a doctor somewhere in the US. You might not get in to competitive specialties but you could always do IM and then sub-specialize.

I would personally never go to the carrib, but it's not a death sentence. The other thing is like, if you couldn't get a 27 MCAT (most kids in the Carribean), then how in the world can you bank on yourself killing the step 1.

I mean, SGU isn't doing THAAAT bad. They're shooting almost 70%, and I'm sure it was the 70% who had above average board scores, while the other 30% had lower scores. So if you go to SGU, then you gotta make sure you don't flunk out (they fail many kids), and that you do well on boards. If you do that, you have a great chance of being a doctor somewhere in the US. You might not get in to competitive specialties but you could always do IM and then sub-specialize.

I would personally never go to the carrib, but it's not a death sentence. The other thing is like, if you couldn't get a 27 MCAT (most kids in the Carribean), then how in the world can you bank on yourself killing the step 1.
When you look at the real denominator, though (which is very hard to estimate and they won't provide) and substract the dead end Surg Prelims it is really bad.
The students with high Step scores are at a special kind of disadvantage in PD's eyes. What do you think the differential diagnosis for a good test taker in the Caribbean is?

When you look at the real denominator, though (which is very hard to estimate and they won't provide) and substract the dead end Surg Prelims it is really bad.
The students with high Step scores are at a special kind of disadvantage in PD's eyes. What do you think the differential diagnosis for a good test taker in the Caribbean is?

Some people are really just misinformed… It's so unfortunate. A lot of people think the Carribean is a great option.
I have a multitude of reasons for not wanting to apply this cycle and one of them is really because I don't want to cram for the MCAT especially on top of my coursework. Even though my parents have agreed to letting me apply next year, my dad sometimes asks if I'm absolutely certain about it and insists on getting me to change my mind…just the other day he goes, "Why don't you go to those carribean schools that don't take the MCAT?" -_-

Man I hope I get into a US MD/DO school. Some of those carribean schools literally seem so evil.

Good luck @futuredoc2389! I sincerely hope you get your money's worth and match and ultimately get to practice here in the US. Some certainly do. It's just a significant number/most don't.

You said you have done great on multiple board style assesments...define great and explain what board style assesments you've done great on in 7 months of school

I've just been doing Qbank questions from USMLE world

Some people are really just misinformed… It's so unfortunate. A lot of people think the Carribean is a great option.
I have a multitude of reasons for not wanting to apply this cycle and one of them is really because I don't want to cram for the MCAT especially on top of my coursework. Even though my parents have agreed to letting me apply next year, my dad sometimes asks if I'm absolutely certain about it and insists on getting me to change my mind…just the other day he goes, "Why don't you go to those carribean schools that don't take the MCAT?" -_-

Man I hope I get into a US MD/DO school. Some of those carribean schools literally seem so evil.

Good luck @futuredoc2389! I sincerely hope you get your money's worth and match and ultimately get to practice here in the US. Some certainly do. It's just a significant number/most don't.

Thanks. Listen, I respect all of your opinions and I understand where you are coming from. FYI thats data from 2013 from before the school toughened up their admissions a bit... Either way, I'm here and it was my only shot. I got a 29 on my MCAT and I had a very low sGPA due to personal factors. I pretty much exhausted my stay at my university so there was very little I could do to improve my GPA there... I mean, I'm not an idiot, nor am I less competent than all of these people who seem to look down on me and my situation. If you really, truly understand the drive and will to succeed of someone like me, who has had a tough road, then you can see it from my POV. Also, comparing my future match to the lottery @hoihaie is sort of disrespectful and misleading. Also, @gyngyn you have a pure and utter prejudice towards us, ha? I mean, I don't get it. You are in a position of high status and you belittle a group who has overcome such a substantial obstacle to get where they are... I know its difficult to respect what we do for an american graduate who hasn't had to deal with similar challenges. But, we exist, and we will continue to match into programs whether you (or anybody else for that matter) likes it or not. God bless.

selected questions on freshly studied material, or randoms across the whole qbank? and define "great" please

Lol, I usually wait till the end of the semester and make a compiled test of the areas I did in that semester. I would get like 90% correct.

Thanks. Listen, I respect all of your opinions and I understand where you are coming from. FYI thats data from 2013 from before the school toughened up their admissions a bit... Either way, I'm here and it was my only shot. I got a 29 on my MCAT and I had a very low sGPA due to personal factors. I pretty much exhausted my stay at my university so there was very little I could do to improve my GPA there... I mean, I'm not an idiot, nor am I less competent than all of these people who seem to look down on me and my situation. If you really, truly understand the drive and will to succeed of someone like me, who has had a tough road, then you can see it from my POV. Also, comparing my future match to the lottery @hoihaie is sort of disrespectful and misleading. Also, @gyngyn you have a pure and utter prejudice towards us, ha? I mean, I don't get it. You are in a position of high status and you belittle a group who has overcome such a substantial obstacle to get where they are... I know its difficult to respect what we do for an american graduate who hasn't had to deal with similar challenges. But, we exist, and we will continue to match into programs whether you (or anybody else for that matter) likes it or not. God bless.
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but was the DO option open to you? That seems like a good enough MCAT to get a few DO acceptances

FYI thats data from 2013 from before the school toughened up their admissions

The data from future years is only going to look worse

@hoihaie is sort of disrespectful and misleading. Also, @gyngyn you have a pure and utter prejudice towards us, ha? I mean, I don't get it. You are in a position of high status and you belittle a group who has overcome such a substantial obstacle to get where they are... I know its difficult to respect what we do for an american graduate who hasn't had to deal with similar challenges. But, we exist, and we will continue to match into programs whether you (or anybody else for that matter) likes it or not. God bless.

Look the bottom line here is that you have a personal stake so you're getting extremely defensive and offended.

You're conflating a disdain for the school with disdain for the individuals enrolled at that school.

No one is belittling you.

And I'm sorry that this hits so close to home for you, but sparing your feelings (which could just as well be spared by you simply not reading this thread) doesn't help premeds who are trying to make an informed decision, which is the entire purpose of this forum.

Lastly, it doesn't help your cause that you're so bent on trying to puff up your own credentials to the point of falsifying them, when it's clear from your posts that you don't know the data and don't understand the matching process. You don't do your school's reputation any good when you don't even know the basic facts that are publicly available.

Hey so I did a little digging. I realized that there in fact is another medical school on this island... Go figure! They opened in 2007... I mean, that could probably attribute that abysmal match to non-match ratio on the island of Dominica.

going to a carrib school isn't overcoming an substantial obstacle at all. If it's the path you chose, that's cool...but don't sell it as an achievement

it's also not disrespectful to point out how much rougher you have it moving forward than those at a US school, it's a merciful warning to those you are encouraging to head down the same road

I wish you well but if you got a 29 you should be good enough at statistics to see the odds here, I'm all for assuming you'll be the exception and pressing forward if you want but acknowledge that reality when you pitch it to others

The data from future years is only going to look worse

Look the bottom line here is that you have a personal stake so you're getting extremely defensive and offended.

You're conflating a disdain for the school with disdain for the individuals enrolled at that school.

No one is belittling you.

And I'm sorry that this hits so close to home for you, but sparing your feelings (which could just as well be spared by you simply not reading this thread) doesn't help premeds who are trying to make an informed decision, which is the entire purpose of this forum.

Lastly, it doesn't help your cause that you're so bent on trying to puff up your own credentials to the point of falsifying them, when it's clear from your posts that you don't know the data and don't understand the matching process. You don't do your school's reputation any good when you don't even know the basic facts that are publicly available.

What numbers am I falsifying dude? And why are you so arrogant for God's sake? Why don't you relax, take a step back and be a tad more respectful. I won't even address you cause you've been nothing but a displeasure to speak to. I hope i never have the discourtesy of working with you or alongside you.

going to a carrib school isn't overcoming an substantial obstacle at all. If it's the path you chose, that's cool...but don't sell it as an achievement

it's also not disrespectful to point out how much rougher you have it moving forward than those at a US school, it's a merciful warning to those you are encouraging to head down the same road

I wish you well but if you got a 29 you should be good enough at statistics to see the odds here, I'm all for assuming you'll be the exception and pressing forward if you want but acknowledge that reality when you pitch it to others

I don't work for the school, nor do I "pitch-it" to anyone. I'm simply saying, I know personal people who came before me and did very well. 2 obtain IM residences in my home state and will likely obtain the fellowship of their choosing. One scored a 238 and the other a 246. I mean, with numbers like that the education can't be all that bad, right?

PS: was referring to the Step 1 scores (IDK their Step 2 stats)

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but was the DO option open to you? That seems like a good enough MCAT to get a few DO acceptances

My situation was complex. I had some health and family issues that caused my grads to tank. I needed a lot of work. I applied for a special masters program but was denied. I took my MCAT the first time and performed very bad. I took a Kaplan course and did significantly better. Reapplied and was beginning to run out of money since I didn't have anyone to support me. Had to work 2 jobs to pay my way.

What numbers am I falsifying dude? And why are you so arrogant for God's sake? Why don't you relax, take a step back and be a tad more respectful. I won't even address you cause you've been nothing but a displeasure to speak to. I hope i never have the discourtesy of working with you or alongside you.

You're falsifying your own credentials. You realize your post history is searchable right? You were applying to pod schools as of September, and posted in November that you'd just been accepted to med school.

And first it was multiple board style assessments...then you admit that just means you signed up for a qbank like every other med student ever.

And you're still doing it. You make your own assessment at the end of "each" semester? Lol if we believe you "each" = 1

Reactions: 3 users
I don't work for the school, nor do I "pitch-it" to anyone. I'm simply saying, I know personal people who came before me and did very well. 2 obtain IM residences in my home state and will likely obtain the fellowship of their choosing. One scored a 238 and the other a 246. I mean, with numbers like that the education can't be all that bad, right?

PS: was referring to the Step 1 scores (IDK their Step 2 stats)
it's the logical equivalent of saying I know a few guys that got college scholarships playing basketball so tall people don't need to study

You're falsifying your own credentials. You realize your post history is searchable right? You were applying to pod schools as of September, and posted in November that you'd just been accepted to med school.

And first it was multiple board style assessments...then you admit that just means you signed up for a qbank like every other med student ever.

And you're still doing it. You make your own assessment at the end of "each" semester? Lol if we believe you "each" = 1

Ya, and I explained my situation you idiot! I clearly took the MCAT more than once... I mean, you can sit here and call me a liar all you want, but you're douchebaggery and clear benevolence is making me lose hope in the future. As a physician, you can be a tad nicer and understanding when attempting to make a point.

BTW, its pretty damn sad that a resident is sitting on SDN looking up past posts of a SDN user. I forgot I even wrote in those forums. Either way, our interaction is over. Like I said, I hope I NEVER have the displeasure of dealing with you. You have a God complex, and are utterly a shame to medicine (I got that off of less than 5 posts from you, congrats on that BTW).

Whatever, I'm going to prove you all wrong.

Whatever, I'm going to prove you all wrong.

dude, match ortho...I'll be happy for you but that wouldn't prove us wrong. We're not saying it's impossible for some exceptions to make it through unscathed. We're saying they are the exceptions and it's an infinitely safer idea to do the work necessary to stay in the US system

My situation was complex. I had some health and family issues that caused my grads to tank. I needed a lot of work. I applied for a special masters program but was denied. I took my MCAT the first time and performed very bad. I took a Kaplan course and did significantly better. Reapplied and was beginning to run out of money since I didn't have anyone to support me. Had to work 2 jobs to pay my way.

Yeah, like I said before, my greatest sadness stems from people who pursue Carib schools because they can't deal with not being MD's. If that is the OP's issue, please, go to DO a million times before you think of going to a Carib.

As for your situation, I'm sorry to hear it. I think you, I, and everyone on this forum knows what an uphill battle Carib is. Most people, including myself, would pursue other careers before going Carib. So kudos to you that you're following your dreams, but recommending to OP that they pack up and move to Dominica is, at it's base, bad advice. Carib schools aren't what they used to be, and in 10 years, I surmise it will not even be a viable thought.

what's burnett's law?

what's burnett's law?

Its essentially saying someone will not be a good doctor for a particular reason. In this particular case, I never said he would be a bad doctor. I just think he's an arrogant person who has a disrespectful and pompous demeanor :)

Its essentially saying someone will not be a good doctor for a particular reason. In this particular case, I never said he would be a bad doctor. I just think he's an arrogant person who has a disrespectful and pompous demeanor :)

LOL this is so random... where did this come from

And you're a liar who is giving terrible advice to premeds who come to this site seeking direction, if we are calling a spade a spade. So I (a) don't place much stock in your appraisal and (b) have the facts on my side.

It's sad that now that your claims have been stripped one by one you have nothing left but petty insults to fall back on.

what's burnett's law?

a retaliatory exclamation when you disagree with someone that their opinion makes them unfit to be a doctor...burnett's law is that inevitably any disagreement here will eventually come to that because people are petty.

it often manifests in the form of a veiled implied threat/shame of the opinion, "I bet you wouldn't tell your dean that you think...", "better not let your attending catch you saying....", or in this case, "I bet your PD would love to see you posting here..."

Status
Not open for further replies.