Help Please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pabdalla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any idea which osteopathic schools accept students with no bachelor degree (4 years completed at a pharmacy school) as long as I fulfill the requirements?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

as far as i know you need either B.A or B.S degree at most schools to marticulate. But i would check directly with the schools you want to apply to...just to be sure.

Do you guys have any idea which osteopathic schools accept students with no bachelor degree (4 years completed at a pharmacy school) as long as I fulfill the requirements?

Thanks in advance

None.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats not true you guys!!! There are plenty of schools that only "require" 90 hours of undergrad, but that being said, your GPA and MCAT have to be incredible. I would think that having your PharmD degree will give you a great advantage. Does the place where you got your pharm degree have a DO school, that is where I would try to get into if I were you.

Thats not true you guys!!! There are plenty of schools that only "require" 90 hours of undergrad, but that being said, your GPA and MCAT have to be incredible. I would think that having your PharmD degree will give you a great advantage. Does the place where you got your pharm degree have a DO school, that is where I would try to get into if I were you.

This is correct, except I don't believe the OP meant that they have a PharmD. Four years at a pharmacy school generally doesn't quite get to the PharmD unless you have a lot of advanced standing from having completed a four year degree in a related subject elsewhere.

I think MSUCOM ... i would call the diff admissions offices to find out

This is correct, except I don't believe the OP meant that they have a PharmD. Four years at a pharmacy school generally doesn't quite get to the PharmD unless you have a lot of advanced standing from having completed a four year degree in a related subject elsewhere.

Actually, and I am not sure about other states, all the pharmacy schools in Texas only offer the PharmD, and you do not have to have a degree to go to any of them you just need the prereqs (like 60-75 hours). So 4 years of pharmacy school does get you a pharmD without a bachelors degree.

Actually, and I am not sure about other states, all the pharmacy schools in Texas only offer the PharmD, and you do not have to have a degree to go to any of them you just need the prereqs (like 60-75 hours). So 4 years of pharmacy school does get you a pharmD without a bachelors degree.

All the pharmacy programs in the US are PharmD programs, you don't have to have a bachelors to get in, and they are 7 year programs.

but don't many of the pharmacy programs award you a bachelor's after your first year of pharmacy school?

i'm always so confused about pharmacy stuff, my cousin is pre-pharm! thank goodness i'm pre-DO ;)

but don't many of the pharmacy programs award you a bachelor's after your first year of pharmacy school?

i'm always so confused about pharmacy stuff, my cousin is pre-pharm! thank goodness i'm pre-DO ;)

Back in 2000 or 2001 or sometime around the turn of the century, the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy decided that all pharmacy schools in the US would only confer the PharmD degree. Some might give a bachelor's in something like pharmacology, but it would be a BMS degree, not a professional degree leading to eligibility to sit for the NAPLEX. Of course, pharmacists with other degrees when the decision was made, and those already in pharmacy programs were exempt from this new decision.

Some schools require 90 credit hours at matriculation to school, but most of these schools usually only take those with more credits. Since its only 30 more until you have your bachelor's (approximately if you're applying your junior year) most have students matriculate with the degree. In your case you shouldn't have a problem applying to schools with the 90 credit requirement but you'll have to look them up to find out who exactly does it.

We know from this thread that Nova, TCOM, MSU and OSU-COM all allow 90 credits ... I'd check each application page for the school to make sure!

Many medical schools (MD and DO) require only 90 credit hours to matriculate. I would hazard a guess that most only require this, but I am too lazy to take the time to investigate this exhaustively. I have checked out more than a few, and it seems that only some of the more prestigious such as Harvard and Wash U require a bachelor's degree. That said, as some of the above posts point out, the vast majority of students will have a bachelor's degree or higher upon matriculation, and the ones who don't will have quite exemplary stats.

Caveat: Some medical schools accept people right out of high school and give them a non terminal bachelor's degree upon completion of the first four years of the program (usually six years). Also, some medical schools have program where they accept people right out of high school for a limited number of seats, but require completion of certain requirements such as a degree before matriculation.

KCOM

Applicants seeking admission with the intention of not having a degree prior to matriculation are required to have a minimum 3.50 cumulative grade-point average overall, a 3.50 science grade-point average on a 4.0 scale, and a composite MCAT score of at least a 28.

http://www.kcom.edu/

Not sure about other school. I was just looking into KCOM and felt like posting this.