Help! Possibility of academic probation in program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andgelyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently a first year OT student ending my first semester of grad school. Although I have studied rigorously and devoted nearly all my time to school, there is a very real possibility that I will be receiving 2 Cs in my courses. As you may or may not know, as a standard in graduate school you are required to have a 3.0 gpa minimum per semester. Failure to do so will result in academic probation. I have never been on probation before, nor have i struggled so much in school. I know i have what it takes to succeed, and i will not give up. However, can anyone clarify what exactly this means?From what i hear, you have about a semester to bring your grades up, if not, it is automatic dismissal. I am anticipating a C in my anatomy class because the class was generally very rigorous, however i was shocked to see my final grade as a C for my other class. I talked to the professor from that class, and she said that i plagiarized in my final because i forgot to cite something, which was entirely my fault( i simply forgot and it was unintended,lucky me huh?).Has anyone been in this position before? I am feeling mixed emotions right now, as the semester just ended( i took my last practical already and I am unsure on how i did). It just seems like nothing but bad luck has happened to me semester......

Members don't see this ad.

The first semester is a killer for everyone. I just got through mine and I don't think my head has stopped spinning yet. You should be able to make a case for the poor grades and, as long as you get them up, I don't see any reason to worry moving forward. I think most programs see the first semester as a learning experience for most students as many of us aren't quite prepared for the rigorous work-load and commitment.

As for the plagiarism claim, I would fight that as hard as you're able to. Especially for first-semester students, writing research papers at the level we're expected to in this program is a new process. You should explain that writing in APA is a skill that is being developed and that expecting perfection in your first semester is a little unfair. A good professor should see something like that as a "teachable opportunity", not as grounds for punishment. Shame on them...

I'm surprised one of the instructors in your own OT department is not working with you on that C. On the other hand in anatomy....your pretty much stuck with that C. I would talk to your department head.