HELP!!!! Possibly an ignorant question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonegirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from TCU and am awaiting my status of admissions from Loyola and Columbia Post Bacc. Everyone has suggested the importance not working while in these programs. But if I dont work, how am I supposed to support myself when I move? I know I would have to take loans out for school. But taking loans out for 2 years worth of living expenses seems a little... CRAZY. Am I missing something? Or does everyone really take out loans to have a roof over their head, along with students loans for school?

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from TCU and am awaiting my status of admissions from Loyola and Columbia Post Bacc. Everyone has suggested the importance not working while in these programs. But if I dont work, how am I supposed to support myself when I move? I know I would have to take loans out for school. But taking loans out for 2 years worth of living expenses seems a little... CRAZY. Am I missing something? Or does everyone really take out loans to have a roof over their head, along with students loans for school?

Well, it's a not an ignorant question, but it is difficult to answer. I can't say what will be best for you. However, I do agree that doing school fulltime is highly advantageous in that it shows that you can handle a tough academic load. If you think the best way to do that is taking out a loan, then it might be.

I know that taking out a loan for living expenses sounds crazy right now, but get used to the idea. I'm starting medical school this fall, and I'm actually working out my financial aid right now. Most medical students borrow money to attend school, and it is not unusual for medical students to borrow the total cost of attending a school, which includes both academic as well as living expenses (the vast majority of students don't work during medical school, or don't make enough to support their living expenses, let alone tuition). Thus when you are considering your options, consider that you will likely be borrowing big money for medical school anyway, so what you are borrowing now will pretty much be a drop in the bucket, so to speak. Consider the investment in your future. However, people have also been successful working during their post-bacc. I think it's harder, but it can be done. It's up to you. Weigh your choices out carefully.

Good luck in your decision. :luck:

Well, if these are the traditional post bacc type programs, and they are going to take you 2 years to complete, isn't that only two classes a semester? Such as

Fall 1: Chem I and Bio I Spring 1: Chem II and Bio II

Summer: Volunteer + additional classes where appropriate

Fall 2: Orgo I and Phys I Spring 2: Orgo II and Phys II and MCAT prep

If this is the type of 2 year program you are talking about, than working a job, full time or part time, is not impossible or even that big of a problem, respectively. I think working fulltime could be tough, especially with orgo, but I know plenty of people who do it. I myself work close to full time with 2-3 classes. I am lucky enough that my job is very flexible and accomdating. I can take off if I have a lot of work or exams or something like that. It's in a hospital so I can work weekends if i need to make up some time. But it's hourly. If I don't work, I don't get paid.

It all depends what the schedule of the program is. Some of the programs that start with Chem I and II in the summer, then Bio, Orgo, and Physics in the fall and spring, they might be very difficult to have a job with, cause 12 credits of hard science requires most people's full attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends what the schedule of the program is. Some of the programs that start with Chem I and II in the summer, then Bio, Orgo, and Physics in the fall and spring, they might be very difficult to have a job with, cause 12 credits of hard science requires most people's full attention.

Right, it does kind of depend on your schedule whether, and what kind of, employment options are reasonable. I pulled up a website of a well-known 1-year, formal post-baccalaureate program from Goucher College. It looks like during Fall and Spring, it's Biology, Organic, and Physics lecture plus their respective labs. That ought to be like 12 credits of sciences. However, this is a 1-year program.

I also checked out the website for Loyola's Post-bacc program for contrast, and here's what I found:

Course Load: The Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Program is designed for part-time students. Most students enrolled in the program take 4 - 11 credit hours per semester. Some students want to complete the program in one year. In certain cases, this is possible. Often times, it is beneficial for a student to spread the coursework out over two years. Among other benefits, this allows the student the opportunity to become familiar with the faculty and staff at Loyola. Furthermore, it enables us to get to know the student. Students may take courses on a full-time basis (12 credit hours or more), but we strongly suggest that they discuss this with a Pre-health advisor (773-508-3636). If a student in the Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program does go full-time, he or she will pay a flat tuition rate, rather than per credit hour. Please see the Bursar's webpage for current tuition rates. Because of the tuition rate and the difficulty of taking 12 hours of science courses per semester, the Pre-health Office does not encourage students to take a full-time load.

Here is the information that I found on Columbia University's Post-bacc:

The Postbac Program affords great flexibility for part-time study at the outset, and many students who have gone on to medical school began by taking only a single course while continuing to work a full-time job; this is especially the case for students who begin in the spring or summer terms in order to complete preparatory coursework before enrolling in the required science courses. Those with sufficient preparation who begin the program in the fall term can expect to complete their coursework after two full academic years of study. In the third year, students complete the medical school application process while deepening their exposure to medicine through full-time employment, research, or volunteer work; some students choose to enroll in additional courses during the application year.

I think many people were referring to not working, or significantly decreasing work, so that it is possible to take a fulltime load of science classes (12, or more credits, usually). If you take a lighter load, it becomes reasonable to work more, if desired. The point that folks disagree on is the benefit of taking a fulltime load during your post-bacc. Some say that it is beneficial, others think it won't hurt you to take classes part-time. The jury is still out.

The bottom line is, OP, do what you feel is the most beneficial for you. Nobody can tell you what the most optimal choice is in terms of work and/or borrowing money. If you think that not working and borrowing the total cost of attendence, regardless of your program or course load, is what will help you concentrate and perform well in school more easefully, then that's what is necessary. Feel it out, but definitely don't let money, or the fear of borrowing money, stand in the way of your success.

Good luck!

At Loyola, most post-bacs work at least a part-time job. I myself worked full time (48 hours/week) at night, but I'm a paramedic. We work all kinds of crazy hours.

PM me if you want me to check on the status of your application for you.
-z