Help: Post-Bacc vs. Off-Shore

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by wingz19, May 12, 2008.

1. wingz19

Pre-Medical
    Hey all! I was wondering if someone could help me with a decision I have to make. Recently, I've started thinking about off-shore options and am certain that am going to apply to 2-3 schools for either August or January matriculation. However, I am accepted into the Drexel MSP program and am looking forward to moving to Philly for a year or two. The program seems great and I think it'll definitely help me improve my MCAT score and GPA for re-application. However, I'm also thinking it would be nice to save myself 2 years and just start this year without going through post-bacc to better my chances of attending a US medical school. My question for you guys is to basically give me your opinions as to why you think I shouldn't do the off-shore MD programs. I'm thinking of applying to Ross, AUC, and St. George's University. If you guys have any knowledge or information of pros vs. cons for my situation, I'd greatly appreciate it! Hope I explained my question clear enough. Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dapmp91

dapmp91 Member

Pre-Medical
    well I'm in a similar position with you, you have to decide. If your young (under the age of 25) and determined to get a nice (prestige) residency you should do your best at going to US Allopathic school or DO, if your in a rush, I would say go to the "Big 4" Ross St. George come to mind, I forgot the other 2 :oops: Anyways you have to be prepared to work hard under either circumstance, if you go to the carribean be prepared to workd your *** off, because many of these schools have attrition rates, even at the big four, and at most you will get family practie or Internal medicine residency(and to name a other few, go to their website and check their residency appointments!) and you will be in debt. However if you want family practice or IM, you shouldn't have a problem going to the carribean and getting things done. hope this helps :cool:

4. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin

Attending Physician
    While it is an option, it should be your last choice. You should exhaust all other options before settling for the carribean. I vote for the Drexel program.

It would be good to know a bit more about your situation. What is your GPA and MCAT.

The Carribean is notorious for terrible attrition rates, poor board pass rates (after you take into consideration they make you pass an exam before they let you sit for the boards), and poor match rates. Furthermore, those that do match dont exactly get their choice residency. I have heard- "but look at SGUs match list. It is so strong."

So I looked at it and looked at competitive specialties

This years SGU match list includes: 0 derm, 0 optho, 0 uro, 0 vascular surg, 0 neurosurg, 0 plastics and 0 ENT. It only includes 1 rads, 1 rad onc and 3 ortho. It includes about 12 GAS (moderately competitive)

To compare a to a middle of the road Allo program (unranked):
    2 uro, 1 optho, 2 neuro surg, 3 plastics, 3 ENT, 14 rads, 1 radonc, 4 ortho, 14 gas.

Side by side that is
    0 vs 2 uro
    0 vs 1 optho
    0 vs 2 neurosurg
    0 vs 3 plastics
    0 vs 3 ENT
    1 vs 14 rads
    1 vs 1 radonc
    1 vs 4 ortho
    12 vs 13 gas

Keep in mind though that SGU graduates over 450 students. Those are pretty crappy match stats when 4/450 are matching into competitive specialties. For reference the allo school listed graduates about 1/3 that many students.

A difference of <1% get competitive residencies at SGU vs almost 20% get the most selective residencies at the US school.

Furthermore, even if you opt for internal medicine (relatively noncompetitive) your choices from the carribean will be much more limited when compared to your choices from a US school. This is impt if you have a specific location in mind.

So the carribean, while it is a pathway to becoming a doctor, is not a good option until you have exhausted all others.

5. DrJD

DrJD Junior Member

Medical Student
    I was told by the Residency Director for Psychiatry at at University medical center to, "Never go to a Caribbean medical school."

He went on to explain that it is something that stays with you forever, so don't do it. Now this is just one residency director's opinion, but good to take into account anyways.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the education, the only problem is the stigma and obstacles you have coming back into the US. So, whose to say whether those obstacles and stigma will always be there. I dunno, tough call. Without knowing your stats, I'd recommend Drexel first and save the Caribbean as a last resort.