pediatron

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
Status
Going to deliver late fall intern year..... no, this was not planned.... is my Peds PD going to kill me? How do I tell? What do I do?!?!? I think I can get most of my hardcore call months out of the way before the birth, but I am more scared about telling my PD than about anything else.

jackjinju

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2001
Visit site
Status
Well, I can't speak for all programs, but in mine we have 20 residents/year, and there are PLENTY of people having babies, the backup system goes into affect and the other residents all chip in. It's just part of life/residency. I wouldn't be too stressed, since you won't be the first and you certainly won't be the last. I suppose it's easier if you're in a larger program, though.

Andrew

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
pediatron said:
Going to deliver late fall intern year..... no, this was not planned.... is my Peds PD going to kill me? How do I tell? What do I do?!?!? I think I can get most of my hardcore call months out of the way before the birth, but I am more scared about telling my PD than about anything else.
Congratulations!!

You will hardly be the first or even the 1000th resident to have to tell their PD about their need for a bit of legally mandated time-off to have and care for a baby. Pedi PD's are especially used to it :)

Do not volunteer to do all of your "hardcore" call months when you are going to be in the later stages of your pregnancy. The absolute most important thing is having a healthy full-term baby, not what any PD or anyone else thinks. Trying to do the most intense rotations early in internship year may not be the best way to go through your second half of pregnancy.

Do call your PD as soon as you match and immediately tell him/her about it. Give them 5 seconds to sigh and remember to say "congratulations" to you and then they will quickly go into a "planning" mode for your internship as this is what PD's do for a living. You don't need to say that you're "sorry" or that it was an accident - that can be a little secret between you and your 10,000 best friends on SDN :rolleyes:.

Then, you need to begin to plan things out as far as childcare, etc and decide if you will have the support in place to try to come back at 6 weeks or wait 3 months.

Remember that what your PD and your other future medical colleagues think about you will primarily not be determined by your needing to take time off to care for your baby, but by the quality of care you provide your patients. Don't let negativists tell you otherwise and focus on having a healthy baby and giving him/her lots of love :) cuz that's what babies need.

Regards

OBP

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
pediatron said:
Are you single? Is this a who's my babydaddy scenario? If so then you have bigger problems than your PD.

You protected by numerous state laws (depending on where you are) as well as federal protection. You have nothing to worry about. :rolleyes: This will have no impact on the residency program, your career or national defense. The sky is not falling. This happens in every residency program, all the time. Youre a budding pediatrician for Christssakes, now you will have someone to test your mad skillz on.

Carry on.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
pediatron said:
come on, give me a break. it's not like you're going to be the 1 resident/yr like in neurosurgery. arranging coverage in a large program like peds is a piece of cake. nothing to worry about, well -- at least as far as telling your PD.

RudyRayMoore

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
pediatron said:
but I am more scared about telling my PD than about anything else.
Why? Is he the father? If not, who gives a **** what he has to say. You and your baby come first.