HELP! (PT schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamesmku

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my gpa is really low (~2.5) sad i know, are there any schools or anyone out that has gotten in? if so i would really appreciate hearing from you

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA may be low, but it is not the only thing that a school will take into account when looking over an application file.

What you really want to make sure of is getting excellent recommendations, good grades in your pre-reqs, plenty of observance and volunteer time with PTs, better than average GRE scores (if required by the schools you are looking at), and blow the interviewers away if you get an interview.

The idea is to make your faults seem less and your accomplishments seem greater. Really sell yourself in your statement of purpose that you will send with your application materials.

That said, the only thing you can do is try and see how things shape up. Maybe you will have to take a few classes over and maybe you won't.

Good Luck.

I can't speak for all the PT schools, but my alma mater wouldn't allow you to apply unless your cumalative GPA was 2.75 or over. I believe the average GPA of applciants who were accepted was a little over 3.5.

Honestly, you're giong to have to scour all of the PT schools web sites to see if the have similar stipulations of their applicants. My guess is that many, if not all, do.

Members don't see this ad :)
eh, you can find a program, you just not may have as many options. but yeah it wouldn't hurt to beef up your credentials with some quality observation hours. I didn't have the absolute best grades in high school but had plenty of experience and got into a freshman entry program. good luck!

has anyone with a pretty low GPA gotten in any schools? and if so i'd love to know what your situation was/is (GPA, GRE, work, volunteer etc). any advice would be much appreciated.

Hey man, I know things seem bleak, but everyone here as offered some good advice. There are programs out there that will accept you but as said before your options will probably be limited. My GPA coming out of college was a 2.81 with a 900 GRE and I got into the University of the Sciences in Philly PT program. I applied to 9 schools and was granted 3 interviews, and was wait-listed at one and denied from 7.

However, I have to take an extra year of classes as a stipulation and get a GPA of 3.0 to have a guaranteed seat. In my case they lead me to believe I had to take a bunch of classes over again which didn't turn out to be the case. If I had pushed the issue I probably could have taken the one class they wanted over again this past summer and gotten into the program.

Getting back on track, I still have to complete and extra year to get my Doctorate BUT I'm in a program.

My advice to you is to not give up, and just do your best to sell yourself. Some schools take GRE or experience, or Essays higher into account than GPA alone. It may still be possible to get into a program if you push yourself to do well and really rip any interviews you may have.

What helped me was to accentuate my PT related experiences ( had 3 separate work environments with around 250 volunteer hours and 2 years of Paid work as an Aide) during my interviews and in my essays to show I was knowledgeable in the field. Also, my last 4 semesters I busted my ass and showed a great progression which helped. Good luck and if you have any more questions I would be happy to help.

I'm in close to the same situation. I graduated undergrad with a gpa slightly above 2.5 two years ago, at the time I didn't have motivation and didn't intend to pursue grad school.
Right now I'm taking post-bac classes to finish prereqs and raise my gpa. I've decided on either DPT or DO. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do this if you really want it. You may have to put in some more work though.

Maybe I should start a new thread, but I'll try it here as it applies to your situation too. I'm planning on taking 30-35 credits before I apply, in which case my last 60 should be pretty good. Can any one here tell me what DPT programs tend to use the last 60 credits rule?

Can any one here tell me what DPT programs tend to use the last 60 credits rule?

I've heard of this, but I haven't actually seen it in writing from any schools. Fortunately for someone in your situation though, there is a question on the PTCAS application that asks:
"Does your academic record accurately reflect your capabilities? If no, describe why it does not. Present any information that may assist the admissions committee in interpreting and evaluating your academic history or credentials."
Your explicitly given the chance to explain it right there. In addition, if those 30-35 credits are prereq credits, your prereq GPA is going to reflect much higher capabilities than what your undergrad represented.

Sorry to hijack this thread again. Wondering if anyone has an opinion about whether it is easier to gain entrance to physical therapy school or osteopathic med. school. I plan to work hard either way and make my final decision at the end of this fall this fall semester.
Like I said I'll be taking between 30-35 credits. This probably won't bring my overall GPA above a 3.0. But, if I get a 3.8 - 4.0 on those credits.... my prereq GPA for physical therapy will be above a 3.5. And my last 60 credits will be about a 3.5 as well.
Without repeating courses, and assuming I can do well on all additional courses (got an A on the course I took this summer). Which program would I have a better shot in PT, or DO?