Help - Questions about OT Master's programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OThopeful87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

(long post - sorry!)

I live in the NYC area and I'm currently attending a private college. I'm expected to graduate in Spring '13 with a Bachelor's degree in Communication Arts (concentration in English). I know that my major is completely unrelated to the medical field but I'm passionate about becoming an OT. I wish that I would have known more about myself and what I wanted to do for a career when I first applied to college (I would have majored in something more relevant obviously) but the last several years have been a learning experience for me both personally and academically. Anyway, with that being said, I have a few questions. Some of the questions might seem a bit silly but I'm new to all of this and very eager to start the process of applying for schools and taking the necessary prereq courses.

- I wish that I had the money to go to schools like NYU but I don't. Right now, it seems that the only colleges close to home are SUNY Downstate and Mercy College. Is this correct? I know that some schools offer a BS/Master's program combined (York College and Touro for instance) but I wouldn't qualify for this. Does that mean that I can't enter into those schools just to complete a Master's in OT?

- Since my current undergraduate major isn't in the medical field, would it hurt my chances of being accepted into an OT program?

- Right now, my cumulative GPA is a 3.121 (embarrassing), would this also hurt my chances of being accepted into an OT program? My major GPA alone is a 3.448 (but I'm pretty sure that this doesn't matter, it is the overall that counts). Do I round my GPA? (wow, pretty embarrassing question).

- Has anyone ever applied for the Department of Ed scholarship? Is it very difficult to get?

- Is taking the GRE exam necessary?

- I'm a little bit confused by the prereq requirements especially for Mercy College. Do I take the prereq courses before I apply and before I am admitted into ANY program? Or do I begin taking them after I receive an acceptance letter? Mercy College seems to require a lot of courses and the website says that it doesn't guarantee a spot in the program. I will do anything that it takes to become an OT but I still have to take tuition and time into consideration.

- When is best to submit applications? Early? Or it doesn't matter?

- Lastly, any advice/tips that would be helpful for me during this process would be so appreciated.

I know that this was a lot but thanks so much for reading! Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

(long post - sorry!)

I live in the NYC area and I'm currently attending a private college. I'm expected to graduate in Spring '13 with a Bachelor's degree in Communication Arts (concentration in English). I know that my major is completely unrelated to the medical field but I'm passionate about becoming an OT. I wish that I would have known more about myself and what I wanted to do for a career when I first applied to college (I would have majored in something more relevant obviously) but the last several years have been a learning experience for me both personally and academically. Anyway, with that being said, I have a few questions. Some of the questions might seem a bit silly but I'm new to all of this and very eager to start the process of applying for schools and taking the necessary prereq courses.

- I wish that I had the money to go to schools like NYU but I don't. Right now, it seems that the only colleges close to home are SUNY Downstate and Mercy College. Is this correct? I know that some schools offer a BS/Master's program combined (York College and Touro for instance) but I wouldn't qualify for this. Does that mean that I can't enter into those schools just to complete a Master's in OT?

- Since my current undergraduate major isn't in the medical field, would it hurt my chances of being accepted into an OT program?

- Right now, my cumulative GPA is a 3.121 (embarrassing), would this also hurt my chances of being accepted into an OT program? My major GPA alone is a 3.448 (but I'm pretty sure that this doesn't matter, it is the overall that counts). Do I round my GPA? (wow, pretty embarrassing question).

- Has anyone ever applied for the Department of Ed scholarship? Is it very difficult to get?

- Is taking the GRE exam necessary?

- I'm a little bit confused by the prereq requirements especially for Mercy College. Do I take the prereq courses before I apply and before I am admitted into ANY program? Or do I begin taking them after I receive an acceptance letter? Mercy College seems to require a lot of courses and the website says that it doesn't guarantee a spot in the program. I will do anything that it takes to become an OT but I still have to take tuition and time into consideration.

- When is best to submit applications? Early? Or it doesn't matter?

- Lastly, any advice/tips that would be helpful for me during this process would be so appreciated.

I know that this was a lot but thanks so much for reading! Best of luck to everyone.
1. BS/masters programs are technically for new college students, I would call the schools you are interested in to see if they have Entry-Level Masters programs. Keep in mind there are also schools in Philly and NJ that have OT programs: Kean, Stockton, Seton Hall, Philadelphia University, U of Sciences, Thomas Jefferson U, Temple U
2. Your previous degree major doesn't matter, although those with majors in biology, exercise science, kinesiology, psychology, sociology etc. will have a good foundation for courses in OT
3. Your GPA is okay, most programs require at least a 3.0. Your pre-req GPA should also be considered, so be sure to get the highest grades you can. Don't round up or down, your transcripts will have your full GPA so be sure to report it correctly or you may risk being accused of providing false info.
4. GREs are required for some programs and if you take this you will expand your ability to apply to more programs. I'd suggest spending some time in a prep class and get a book and take the test.
5. I'd suggest finishing most if not all the pre-reqs required which may include Physics, A&P I and II, psychology, abnormal psych, developmental psych, statistics, and others depending on the school. I'd compare and contrast different pre-reqs for several different programs. And I'd strongly suggest you finish them all before applying to help boost your GPA and strengthen your application. Just take 1 year and get them done.
6. Make a check list of all the programs your applying to including deadlines, requirements for the applications, pre-reqs, etc. and get a folder and organize them all so all of your applications are complete. Applying early helps to increase your chances of getting an early interview and a spot in the program. You don't want to be the last wave of applicants where by then there may only be a few seats in the class leftover.
7. Get everything you need together and organize yourself! Print out the application, application requirements, and make a chart of deadlines, pre-req courses, letters of recommendation, volunteer hours, etc. The application period is challenging and competitive so make it as organized and professional as possible, start your research at least 1 year prior to applying and get those pre-reqs done first!