Help quick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gail Cohen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got better scores on practice tests but i got a 16 :( on my dat, however my gpa is 3.6. i want to retake the dat, but im not sure if i can take it again (after application deadline) and after i already sent my applications in with my first score.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah you can, there is a spot on your AADSAS application where you can indicate that you are retaking the DAT. You can take it again 3 months after your previous DAT and take it up to 3 times total. You'll need a retake for sure, unless you're URM and applying to Meharry or something, and even then there's no guarantee... Study for several months with Kaplan or other materials, and reapply next cycle. With a 19-20 DAT and a 3.6 GPA you'll have a very very good shot at getting in. Good luck.

When you took practice tests, where you getting 16's? How much do you think your score could improve by the next test? If it's not a lot then I would wait until next cycle and study study study!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i did better on my practice tests 17-19, and did ok on everything but got a 13 on QR. im already 25 and just finished a post bac. so i really want to apply for 09

Even with a 3.6, a 16 is not likely to cut it at most schools.

ok, i get it but is it to late to retake the dat

Call schools to find out if they let you take the test. I heard some accept scores even in January.
If not, it's probably the time to prepare for the next cycle. :cool:

My 3.4 and 20 DAT has landed me 3 rejections thus far, to put things into perspective

sorry, i am in worse shape though. how many schools did you apply to

17, I'm stupid though and applied to a lot of state schools, so I should expect 50% rejection

how was your science gpa, mine is a 4.0 and i did a post bac at drexel medical school. do you think i should retake the dat. im 25 already and dont want to wait another year. i have alot of shadowing and volunteer work

my sci gpa is like 3.3, and if yours is a 4.0 then schools want to see a 4.0-esque DAT, you know what I mean?

The meat 'n potatoes to any app is your undergrad GPA and the DAT. Nothing can get around a super low score in either of those. You can have 10,000 hours rescuing burning babies and have cured cancer and you still will prob not get in. Why? Because they won't even get to the rest of your application. Most schools have hard line cut-offs so you MUST retake the DAT.

A little bit of, "truth hurts" coming......honestly, if you try your very, very best and study your butt off for 3 months and can not get higher than a 16 on the TS, its possible you won't make it through D-school. The classes are fast paced and you have to know a crapload of info in a very short amount of time, while at the same time spend half your day developing hand skills.

You think the DAT is hard? Wait till you take the NBDE1!!

I do wish you all the luck. Remember, determination beats aptitude, 8 days a week!