HELP RE:Science Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NPreMed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, If I get a high GPA and MCAT without the science/math classes will it matter to med school admissions/will I get an acceptance??? :D Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

in a word, no.

almost ALL schools require 1 year each of bio, gen chem, orgo, physics. If you are a semester short on one of them, for some good reason, they might be accomodating, but if you are considering taking none and applying to med schools you won't get in. Just the "science GPA" is considered a large factor in admissions, almost as big as overall GPA itself, or MCAT (maybe bigger). Not taking any of these would be comprable to submitting a 0.0 for this GPA.

good luck

I shall repeat words of wisdom often seen on this board, as they are not my own. Ready?

Get a copy of the MSAR - Medical School Application Requirements.

Note the word "Requirements." These standards are not optional in any way, and, as an added bonus, this tome is available in many an advisor's office. Ain't pre-med life grand?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not trying to be rude, but you're question is really stupid.

You will NOT pass the MCAT if you do not take the science courses. Nor, would you be prepared for medical school if you do not take them. Those are listed as requirements because they ARE required. You will not go to medical school without alot of science. If you do not like science, you may want to reevaluate your goals. Being a doctor is filled with science. You will use chemistry in your everyday life, as well as the obvious ones like biology.

Alicia :rolleyes: :confused:

Perhaps the original question was whether the poster could apply without having completed all the requirements. The answer to that would be "yes" as long as you complete them before matriculating.

Originally posted by snowballz:
•I'm not trying to be rude, but you're question is really stupid.

haha that really made me laugh

That was my original question and thank you for having the good common sense to realize that without being rude and immature. :p

Originally posted by NPreMed:
•That was my original question and thank you for having the good common sense to realize that without being rude and immature. :p

I didn't mean for my response to sound rude or immature, but I read your question differently than you meant it. I thought you were asking if you could forego the science / math courses all toghether.

I think the person who said it doesn't matter as long as they will be done by the time you matriculate got both the question and answer right. And without being rude or immature ;)

Just a quick note on this. While I totally agree that the science requirements are important and necessary, I recently learned that many adcoms don't over-scrutinize. A friend of mine was recently admitted to Columbia and many other good med schools. She has never taken a lab course in her life, but at least 3 of the schools where she was accepted had lab requirements. She has already graduated so it is not as though she was waiting to take her labs. While she is an impressive candidate, her stats etc. certainly weren't so high that they would just waive a "stringent" requirement. So to get to the point - suprisingly enough - I think that there is a little flexibility there based on her situation.

Unless you happen to be a Victoria Secrets underwear model and include some of your pictures on your application it is not a good idea to apply without meating a medical school's preqreuisites. This is from my experience on a medical school admisisons comittee (and Protip: it takes a lot more than just sending me pictures if you're a victoria secrets underwear model)

I applied to schools that require orgo 2 or genetics and I have neither (I have biochem). I seem to be getting and least some love. But if youu are thinking of applying with only 1 of the prereqs done, ypu probably won't get any love.

How do people even find these threads? I mean, what was demh23 searching for when he decided to answer this? lol

Unless you happen to be a Victoria Secrets underwear model and include some of your pictures on your application it is not a good idea to apply without meating a medical school's preqreuisites. This is from my experience on a medical school admisisons comittee (and Protip: it takes a lot more than just sending me pictures if you're a victoria secrets underwear model)

Did you graduate from Herp Derp High?